So everyone is leaving?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: So everyone is leaving?

Post by ToolShed »

Bob.
You couldn’t be so wrong about Canada.
You’ve bought and made the koolaid.

Your thinking is “Why” our wages are low.
---------- ADS -----------

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:06 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:44 pm
Squaretail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm

No they aren’t. Maybe they are in your sector. I know I wouldn’t trade places with most (but not all) of my American counterparts. That’s not to say that there aren’t low paid pilots in Canada, but that isn’t a rule, just like it isn’t a rule that pilots uniformly make better money elsewhere.
I’ve worked in almost every continent in the world, and I can assure you, Canadians are paid trash. Defend it all you want, I have first hand knowledge and nothing will change my mind in the decades I’ve been in this racket
There’s more to it than just pay.

Otherwise… why are you like so many expats who frequent this forum. You want to have your cake and eat it too. TNSTAAFL.

USA. 0-1500 hours is what breaks most pilots. There’s no huge supply of time building jobs there. It would be interesting to see how many get their CPL and 250 hours vs how many get to 1500 and an airline job. Everyone here is thinking they should have USA wages when they’ve been flying a Q since 500 hours vs trying to get on with Ameriflight for the 10th time after towing gliders or dropping meat bombs.

Everywhere else, flight training is insanely expensive. You have to come from a wealthy family, or go through the military, or be accepted into a national cadet program. That’s why they need expats and why wages are so high. Lack of supply.

Europe: In addition to the above, come with your own type rating.

Asia/ME: Get worked to death and live in either oppressive states or next door to probably the next war.

South America: Your choice. Get shot in Brazil, watch your money disappear in Argentina, maybe find a sweet gig but it really depends on which country and time period.

Africa: Enough said.

Canada is the easiest country in which to become an airline pilot, and being an airline pilot isn’t exactly academically challenging. Absent some other method of drowning the puppies or culling the herd.. we will always have an oversupply of pilots.

That is why our wages are low. Period.
:prayer:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ToolShed wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:31 pm Bob.

No, he's completely right.

*if* you make it to the airlines, you will probably make more money in the USA or Europe. But your chances of getting there, are also much smaller than in Canada.

So take your pick!
'guaranteed' success with low wages in Canada, or pay 100k for a lottery ticket in Europe (or 70k in the USA). Your choice.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

skybluetrek wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm

I’ve worked in almost every continent in the world, and I can assure you, Canadians are paid trash. Defend it all you want, I have first hand knowledge and nothing will change my mind in the decades I’ve been in this racket

Otherwise… why are you like so many expats who frequent this forum. You want to have your cake and eat it too. TNSTAAFL.

USA. 0-1500 hours is what breaks most pilots. There’s no huge supply of time building jobs there. It would be interesting to see how many get their CPL and 250 hours vs how many get to 1500 and an airline job. Everyone here is thinking they should have USA wages when they’ve been flying a Q since 500 hours vs trying to get on with Ameriflight for the 10th time after towing gliders or dropping meat bombs.

Everywhere else, flight training is insanely expensive. You have to come from a wealthy family, or go through the military, or be accepted into a national cadet program. That’s why they need expats and why wages are so high. Lack of supply.

Asia/ME: Get worked to death and live in either oppressive states or next door to probably the next war.

South America: Your choice. Get shot in Brazil, watch your money disappear in Argentina, maybe find a sweet gig but it really depends on which country and time period.

Canada is the easiest country in which to become an airline pilot, and being an airline pilot isn’t exactly academically challenging. Absent some other method of drowning the puppies or culling the herd.. we will always have an oversupply of pilots.

:prayer:
Life is a series of choices —-

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun May 22, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

A lot of people talk that US 1500 requirement drives wages up ,that's joke. If that's true why not pic earn as much as U.S?

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

ToolShed wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:31 pm Bob.

Really?

Maybe you need a history lesson from before the USA had the 1500 hour rule.

https://youtu.be/cRq0O4lnsKE

Maybe you don’t remember that Sully was in the process of taking a pay cut when he landed in the Hudson.

And what koolaid have I made and bought? I’m not an unpaid Canadian airline pilot. I’m well paid for the sector I’m in. I’m not struggling to afford a one or two million dollar dump in the GTA or GVA on the pittance of a salary they give a puppy mill graduate.

Throttle the supply. I’ve done that with myself, so actually… I’m a reason why wages aren’t even lower.

Stop applying to the airlines. Give up on your dreams. Don’t start. And when airplanes are getting parked for lack of crews like they are in the US, wages will go up.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Squaretail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm

No they aren’t. Maybe they are in your sector. I know I wouldn’t trade places with most (but not all) of my American counterparts. That’s not to say that there aren’t low paid pilots in Canada, but that isn’t a rule, just like it isn’t a rule that pilots uniformly make better money elsewhere.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said (about Canada), there is ZERO supply problem for pilots in Canada. There’s been a shortage coming (according to industry) since the late 80s…. HA! As for me, I’m an AME primarily and make way more doing what I do states side than anywhere in Canada, and I am not the only one. I do disagree with time building jobs supply in the states vs here (I am primarily in the VTOL world so that’s what I’m citing). As far as fixed wing goes you may want to brush up on what’s happening there since the pandemic…there’s several openings not being filled

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

There’s way more work in the states. The generational shift is definitely taking note of how things are and have been for so long. Domestic workforce don’t want to work for peanuts to fly as much as yesteryear. Another big one is the vaccine mandates and medical backlog…This has lead operators to bring in more TFW’s in the helicopter world to Canada I think. Lots of loopholes for international forestry workers as its emergency services. Is the same thing happening in the fixed wing racket in Canada? Are more employers outsourcing to different nations for airline and other areas of fixed wing pilots now?

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

I've never understood the appeal of going to work at any airline.
So this is all lost on me.
The last jobs I want are sewage pumper truck driver, and anything at an airline.
If I ever find one appealing thing about it, then it might matter if they are paid $2.00 / year, or $2,000,000.00 / year.

Whitney
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WANP wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:18 pm I've never understood the appeal of going to work at any airline.
The last jobs I want are sewage pumper truck driver, and anything at an airline.
If I ever find one appealing thing about it, then it might matter if they are paid $2.00 / year, or $2,000,000.00 / year.
It’s literally a TOILET 🚽 lol

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

WANP wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:18 pm I've never understood the appeal of going to work at any airline.
It being nice to live in a city with more than 8 people?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:54 am
It being nice to live in a city with more than 8 people?
Just need two side hustles on top of the regular airline crap to afford it….

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Things are slow in Canada right now and people
Are definitely leaving. Just heard another friend I went to college with left for good, not looking back.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

My God, if it’s slow here, I would hate to see it busy.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Squaretail wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:32 am My God, if it’s slow here, I would hate to see it busy.
I love busy!

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 am Things are slow in Canada right now and people
Are definitely leaving. Just heard another friend I went to college with left for good, not looking back.
I am curious where people are leaving to? It seems like the middle east/Asia aren't hiring expats (at least non type rated FOs) at the moment and the US and Europe need the right to work there. Are there opportunities in South America/ Africa?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 am Things are slow in Canada right now and people
I am curious where people are leaving to? It seems like the middle east/Asia aren't hiring expats (at least non type rated FOs) at the moment and the US and Europe need the right to work there. Are there opportunities in South America/ Africa?
Lots of helicopter guys headed states side

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

🇺🇸

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:14 pm
🇺🇸
Is that on the EB-2 NIW visa? I tried to get in on that one but it seems like a long shot. Best bet is to have an American wife or family from the US.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:46 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:14 pm

🇺🇸
Is that on the EB-2 NIW visa? I tried to get in on that one but it seems like a long shot. Best bet is to have an American wife or family from the US.
No I haven’t moved still Canadian and don’t know if I can move to the states yet.

Return to “General Comments”