United picked on the wrong guy, this time.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: United picked on the wrong guy, this time.

Post by WANP »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 am If you watch the video, the football player clearly slaps the employee, not the other way around. I thought it was strange that an airline employee would just slap a passenger out of the blue. Did you not actually watch the video, Rookie? Just have a deep seated hatred for all airlines? The employee lifts his hand to prevent the football player slapping him.

What a waste of space.

Eye glasses are not very expensive, invest in a pair.
---------- ADS -----------

Whitney
WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 am
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:49 am
That looks like a clean slap to the face, unless you are confused with which one is the football player :lol:
A292C078-B61F-4A08-A684-124AF18D3782.jpeg
You've picked an edited version of the clip (or the news outlet did). Here is the full one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eding.html

The football player hit the employee first. The slap was well after the start.

When the headline states clearly in your link the employee hit the passenger first, and was fired.

Last edited by WANP on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whitney
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 am If you watch the video, the football player clearly slaps the employee, not the other way around. I thought it was strange that an airline employee would just slap a passenger out of the blue. Did you not actually watch the video, Rookie? Just have a deep seated hatred for all airlines? The employee lifts his hand to prevent the football player slapping him.

What a waste of space.
Take it up with Yahoo sports then. I'm not the video upload police.

If the agent is in fact innocent, why'd he get fired?

avi888tor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avi888tor »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 am

What a waste of space.

companies hate bad PR. Often they have a rule where you can't do ANYTHING, including defend yourself.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

WANP wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:42 am

What a waste of space.

Eye glasses are not very expensive, invest in a pair.
As pointed out above, you're watching a cut version of the video. Football player hits employee at the start of the video. Employee slaps football player at the 15 second mark.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

As pointed out many times above, the video in the yahoo clip is edited. There is another 12 seconds before that, where the football player hits the employee first. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept for you.

As you can see in the video, the employee gets really stuck into the fight. That isn't exactly professional behaviour, even if he didn't start the fight. Again, this isn't rocket science. I'm not sure why you think yahoo is a reputable news source.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:32 pm
As pointed out many times above, the video in the yahoo clip is edited. There is another 12 seconds before that, where the football player hits the employee first. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept for you.

As you can see in the video, the employee gets really stuck into the fight. That isn't exactly professional behaviour, even if he didn't start the fight. Again, this isn't rocket science. I'm not sure why you think yahoo is a reputable news source.
Do you have a direct link to the video? The ones linked in the article are fairly unclear and seem to be looped etc. Hard to say what exactly is going on.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:37 pm

Do you have a direct link to the video? The ones linked in the article are fairly unclear and seem to be looped etc. Hard to say what exactly is going on.
See the dailymail article I posted above, which has the full video.

Last edited by CpnCrunch on Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

I too see the agent throwing the first slap (even in the longer version). To get a full sense of the aggressor, you'd need to see a video showing the entire sequence, if there is one.

Even if the player made contact first, the agent could have stepped away. He kept coming back for more. I'm guessing that's why he was fired.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

MrWings wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:58 pm I too see the agent throwing the first slap (even in the longer version).
Is that the 56s clip from the daily mail you're referring to or another one?
To get a full sense of the aggressor, you'd need to see a video showing the entire sequence, if there is one.

Even if the player made contact first, the agent could have stepped away. He kept coming back for more. I'm guessing that's why he was fired.
Yes, even the dailymail clip doesn't have the start of the fight. Neither guy is in the right here.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm Is that the 56s clip from the daily mail you're referring to or another one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwd4a5i75A

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

End of the day you have two adults acting like high school kids. Both of them had ample opportunity to step back and leave the situation but type "a" got them both on the offensive. Had the united employee remained behind the counter that would have been a good defensive position. And I don't think the footballer was looking for a fight but he is not shy to dive in and make some hits as long as it looks good for the camera that he is not the instigator.

Perfect storm for both of them to be on the losing end of this one.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

MrWings wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:13 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm Is that the 56s clip from the daily mail you're referring to or another one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwd4a5i75A
Yeah, that's the one. At the 1s mark I see the football player slap the employee, and the employee lifts his hand to try to stop the slap. But it's kind of hard to see exactly what's happening.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:45 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:37 pm

See the dailymail article I posted above, which has the full video.
A British Tabloid….reputable .

Guess we should all spend hours vetting everything before posting it. Or try. :lol:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

JasonE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:57 pm I got screwed once coming back from Frankfurt. Air Canada allows is 10 lbs more than Lufthansa. I was 5lbs over coming back apparently, so I made the gate agent wait while put on an extra sweater, stuffed the pockets, then an extra jacket and stuffed the pockets. I was 0.5 lb under, walked through the gate and stuff the items into my carry on. What a shit show.
Hmmm...I do remember once having an overweight carry-on by a few pounds(and they didn't allow very much). There was no way I was going to let my laptop or other important stuff go in the suitcase. On my side of the counter, I took stuff out and it was re-weighed and was within limits. I thanked them and quickly put my stuff back in and went to the gate.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pmA British Tabloid….reputable.
Are you suggesting they edited the video to add footage of the employee slapping first?
Guess we should all spend hours vetting everything before posting it. Or try. :lol:
Given it took seconds to find the longer video with a google search, yes, maybe you should vet things before you post them.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/24/brendan- ... -to-fight/

We've obtained a statement from Alan Jackson, Brendan's attorney, who says the former Denver Broncos CB is the real victim.

"Brendan Langley was minding his business walking through the airport with his bags when he was accosted by a United Airlines employee who claimed to 'run the airport,'" Jackson says.

"When Brendan tried to ignore him, the assailant followed and harassed Brendan, calling him a 'd***' and a 'p***y' and challenging him to fight."

“Footage from the airport security cameras establishes without question that Brendan was in reasonable fear of physical harm, and reasonably and lawfully defended himself. We do not expect charges to be filed against Brendan."

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:37 am https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/24/brendan- ... -to-fight/

We've obtained a statement from Alan Jackson, Brendan's attorney, who says the former Denver Broncos CB is the real victim.

"Brendan Langley was minding his business walking through the airport with his bags when he was accosted by a United Airlines employee who claimed to 'run the airport,'" Jackson says.

"When Brendan tried to ignore him, the assailant followed and harassed Brendan, calling him a 'd***' and a 'p***y' and challenging him to fight."

“Footage from the airport security cameras establishes without question that Brendan was in reasonable fear of physical harm, and reasonably and lawfully defended himself. We do not expect charges to be filed against Brendan."
I can't wait for the united employee attorney's version :lol:

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Both men should be charged with assault.

The incident was two grown men acting like hormonal teenagers unable to control their emotions.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

I have watched it 6 times, the employee definitely started it.

Whitney

Return to “General Comments”