Pilot shortage …? Reality or fake news ..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Pilot shortage …? Reality or fake news ..

Post by Ash Ketchum »

digits_ wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm
Tanker299 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:00 pm There is definitely a shortfall of qualified pilots due to the conditions of the industry. I have a hard time reading this “they can’t get people due to low pay….” This was never an issue up until aboot 2016. A lot of pilots signed bonds and stepped on the next guy just to get to Jazz … in your 30/40s to go back to 30-40k a year… Pilots left hiring paying king air jobs to fly clapped out dash wits for shite wages at “the airlines”. That did however have many folks re-consider the “dream” and not become pilots. I don’t know a single person who as a CPL or ATPL who is saying “the wages are too low so I’ll go work at the Home Depot…” Frigg pilots used to pay to get jobs and then work for free…
I personally know 2 who have left for other professions. Not Home Depot no, but there's a plethora of jobs out there one could qualify for. I think there are a couple more on avcanada as well.

Another fun fact is that a degree -desired by some airlines- also makes a pilot more marketable and able to leave for other high(er) paying jobs.
Just curious to which other careers they went into? I am thinking of leaving aviation as well and am considering my options...
---------- ADS -----------

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:41 am
Tanker299 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:00 pm There is definitely a shortfall of qualified pilots due to the conditions of the industry. I have a hard time reading this “they can’t get people due to low pay….” This was never an issue up until aboot 2016. A lot of pilots signed bonds and stepped on the next guy just to get to Jazz … in your 30/40s to go back to 30-40k a year… Pilots left hiring paying king air jobs to fly clapped out dash wits for shite wages at “the airlines”. That did however have many folks re-consider the “dream” and not become pilots. I don’t know a single person who as a CPL or ATPL who is saying “the wages are too low so I’ll go work at the Home Depot…” Frigg pilots used to pay to get jobs and then work for free…
I personally know 2 who have left for other professions. Not Home Depot no, but there's a plethora of jobs out there one could qualify for. I think there are a couple more on avcanada as well.

Another fun fact is that a degree -desired by some airlines- also makes a pilot more marketable and able to leave for other high(er) paying jobs.
Just curious to which other careers they went into? I am thinking of leaving aviation as well and am considering my options...
Why did you want to come? And why do you want to leave? Isn't it recovering?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

One to IT and one to IFR approach design (so still aviation related, but non-flying).

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

digits_ wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 am

One to IT and one to IFR approach design (so still aviation related, but non-flying).
Thanks, sounds like they got some pretty good opportunities.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

qwe221sd wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 am

I got into flying in my 20s for the love of the craft. Now I am in my 30s with a family, mortgage, cars and need more money to support all of that. I still love the flying just not the industry. It is recovering but wages are stagnant while cost of living is out of control.

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am

I got into flying in my 20s for the love of the craft. Now I am in my 30s with a family, mortgage, cars and need more money to support all of that. I still love the flying just not the industry. It is recovering but wages are stagnant while cost of living is out of control.
What are you flying now? I think a 705 captain makes acceptable pay compare to average wage in Canada.
But I don't know the real circumstance I am considering to do flight training.

EdgarAllanPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EdgarAllanPIC »

I dont even know how someone explains to their spouse the pay & schedule at AC

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

qwe221sd wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:09 am
What are you flying now? I think a 705 captain makes acceptable pay compare to average wage in Canada.
I am a 705 captain at a regional. Pay is only enough if you are single, forget raising a family on regional captain pay in YYZ/YVR...

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:18 am
I am a 705 captain at a regional. Pay is only enough if you are single, forget raising a family on regional captain pay in YYZ/YVR...
What's your plan? move on ULCC and fly b737? I guess that you didn't consider AC because of flat pay .
Honestly, buy a house in yyz or yvr is hard not only for pilot.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

There is definitely a pilots shortage. One thing we don't talk about is how big fleet numbers have become. Even before major airline mergers, the sum of the two airlines didn't equal what they are today. Commercial airline fleet numbers have exploded in the past two decades.

SWA 700+
Delta 800+
United 800+
AA. 900+

Then consider how big the Asian commercial airline industry has grown in the 2000.

Then there's Europe.

Then think of all the not so big name airlines.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

qwe221sd wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 am
What's your plan? move on ULCC and fly b737? I guess that you didn't consider AC because of flat pay .
I plan on leaving Canada and flying in the US or Asia for more money if I can. If not I will most likely leave the industry and do a top US MBA and try and get into finance/consulting or go back to engineering (my previous career).

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:07 am
qwe221sd wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 am

I plan on leaving Canada and flying in the US or Asia for more money if I can. If not I will most likely leave the industry and do a top US MBA and try and get into finance/consulting or go back to engineering (my previous career).
Good job ! Mostly asian carriers hire 737/320 PIC maybe middle east accept NTR but aisa is recovering slowly. My plan is go to asia too after I get some experience.
US is a good option if you have green card or try cape air for sponsoring .

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 pm There is definitely a pilots shortage. One thing we don't talk about is how big fleet numbers have become. Even before major airline mergers, the sum of the two airlines didn't equal what they are today. Commercial airline fleet numbers have exploded in the past two decades.

SWA 700+
Delta 800+
United 800+
AA. 900+

Then consider how big the Asian commercial airline industry has grown in the 2000.

Then there's Europe.

The shortage is a lie. Here are US numbers

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Except thats wildly simplistic. Pilots do not just replace retirements, every airline is expanding. The majors along said they need 15,000 new hires this year.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

newlygrounded wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:42 pm
GoHomeLeg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 pm There is definitely a pilots shortage. One thing we don't talk about is how big fleet numbers have become. Even before major airline mergers, the sum of the two airlines didn't equal what they are today. Commercial airline fleet numbers have exploded in the past two decades.

SWA 700+
Delta 800+
United 800+
AA. 900+

Then there's Europe.

The shortage is a lie. Here are US numbers

So which set of figures are you claiming is correct, the one in the text or the one in the graphic?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:02 pm Except thats wildly simplistic. Pilots do not just replace retirements, every airline is expanding. The majors along said they need 15,000 new hires this year.
AA/UA/DL/SW/FedEx/UPS/JB are hiring approx 8300 in 2022. Slightly more in 2023. So the 15000 number would be closer to a 2 year total.

Not included are carriers like Alaska/Frontier/Spirit and all of the regionals. If they were included, the number could approach 15000 for 2022.

Right now, the regionals and the 3 carriers listed above are being cleaned out by hiring of the majors (JB also losing pilots to the big 6).

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:40 am
C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:02 pm Except thats wildly simplistic. Pilots do not just replace retirements, every airline is expanding. The majors along said they need 15,000 new hires this year.
AA/UA/DL/SW/FedEx/UPS/JB are hiring approx 8300 in 2022. Slightly more in 2023. So the 15000 number would be closer to a 2 year total.

Not included are carriers like Alaska/Frontier/Spirit and all of the regionals. If they were included, the number could approach 15000 for 2022.

Right now, the regionals and the 3 carriers listed above are being cleaned out by hiring of the majors (JB also losing pilots to the big 6).
Pilot shortage is exclusive for US. Canada side is a joke. :rolleyes:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

qwe221sd wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:05 am
rudder wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:40 am

Pilot shortage is exclusive for US. Canada side is a joke. :rolleyes:
The question in Canada is not the projected volume of hiring (quite high), but rather the amount of hiring in to good flying jobs. That is the critical difference between Canada and US.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:40 am The question in Canada is not the projected volume of hiring (quite high), but rather the amount of hiring in to good flying jobs. That is the critical difference between Canada and US.
There’s lot of postings out there right now for lots of 705 and higher end 704 ops. Obviously there are differences between all of them. For a guy or gal sitting at a 703 or flight school with 1000-2000 hours I’d argue there hasn’t been a better time to get into a long term gig.

Heck even for a kid with a fresh MIFR, getting right seat on a king air or b1900 at 250tt.

On top of that the choice we as pilots have for companies has never been better in Canada. Don’t feel like moving to YYZ or YVR? No problem, go work for several companies that have bases out of low cost of living areas. YEG, YWG, YOW, etc. Sorry if this is a bit of a tread drift. Obviously there are still the same old problems with aviation here which we all know too well, so I’m not gonna get into that. I think it’s safe to say most of us don’t have US Passports or we wouldn’t be here.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Start paying proper wages, give people reasonable schedule and chance to progress in their careers and you won't have a shortage.

Otherwise you will continue to have a "shortage" of slave pilots.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”