Is an airline career worth pursing?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avi888tor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is an airline career worth pursing?

Post by avi888tor »

I'm happily working at a desk job in a major city in Canada. I'm not sure I'd like to do this forever but I'm making about what a captain at Jazz would and I'm home every night.

I have a home and a partner so I really don't want to pack up and go to the North. Ignoring that part though, either way it seems it would take close to 7 or 8 years to end up in a similar spot to where I am now assuming I don't get laid off.

Please let me know if the numbers are off, but I'd likely have to instruct for 2 years, then go to a small operator for 1-2 years before switching to Jazz or Encore, and then making roughly what I do now after 3 years of service there?

Is it feasible to work a second job for the first few years? I see a lot of FO's are worked pretty hard and come home tired, also any effect on your personal life?

I really would like to have an airline career, but the first few years are a big hurdle and since I'm mostly ok where I am I'd like to hear from some people on the other side.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Is an airline career worth pursing?

Post by digits_ »

If you don't want to go North and want to make what you're making now, then there is no point IMO to fly commercially.

Fly for fun, you'll be happier.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

Well, you don't have to follow the common path that people with less stability and commitments are willing to take (i.e going North). You can slowly transition from your stable job by getting an instructor rating (if you enjoy teaching), instruct part-time and build sufficient hours to perhaps bypass having to leave your major city and apply for a regional.

The big question is - Is it worth it?

No one can answer that for you, especially here. It is really up to you. Some people ditch their high-paying jobs in their 40s to fly a Navajo for peanuts, and some decide to make a career in something else at an early age to buy a Navajo in their 40s and fly for fun. Where are you on that spectrum? You are the only one that knows

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

avi888tor wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm I'm happily working at a desk job in a major city in Canada. I'm not sure I'd like to do this forever but I'm making about what a captain at Jazz would and I'm home every night.

I have a home and a partner so I really don't want to pack up and go to the North. Ignoring that part though, either way it seems it would take close to 7 or 8 years to end up in a similar spot to where I am now assuming I don't get laid off.

Please let me know if the numbers are off, but I'd likely have to instruct for 2 years, then go to a small operator for 1-2 years before switching to Jazz or Encore, and then making roughly what I do now after 3 years of service there?

Is it feasible to work a second job for the first few years? I see a lot of FO's are worked pretty hard and come home tired, also any effect on your personal life?

I really would like to have an airline career, but the first few years are a big hurdle and since I'm mostly ok where I am I'd like to hear from some people on the other side.
Short answer. No, it’s not worth it.

Longer answer. Those are years of your life you will never get back slaving away for poor earnings, little or no retirement savings, unstable dicey employment, all to get to work toward the bottom of a captain seniority list at Jazz where you will work almost every weekend, holiday, etc sleeping in 3 star hotels hot bunking, collecting no points and are just creeping away at enough seniority after 5 more years to hold every other weekend off.

The glory of landing a 40000lb machine on the pavement at pearson in the dead of night during a snowstorm may sound ultra-cool and exhilarating, but I promise you it wears off very quickly. Like, by the 3rd one. After that, you’ll call in sick those days than deal with the deice lineup. The reality of many nights away from home (dodging divorce bunnies aka cabin crew), missing your connections home while waiting with great impatience for ramp crews to just do their job, or even show up; listening to some cojoe who’s had his life paid for and how good he is, to flying the same crap tail that has the same reoccurring MEL for MONTHS back and forth to the same small towns over, and over, and over again. All that, just to end up at a wage you are at now. If that’s seems worth it to you, please find an open window nearby and consider your options.

Get your license, buy a tail and fly for fun. You’ll be so much happier, and farther ahead.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Minimums wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:35 pm
avi888tor wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm I'm happily working at a desk job in a major city in Canada. I'm not sure I'd like to do this forever but I'm making about what a captain at Jazz would and I'm home every night.

Longer answer. Those are years of your life you will never get back slaving away for poor earnings, little or no retirement savings, unstable dicey employment, all to get to work toward the bottom of a captain seniority list at Jazz where you will work almost every weekend, holiday, etc sleeping in 3 star hotels hot bunking, collecting no points and are just creeping away at enough seniority after 5 more years to hold every other weekend off.

The glory of landing a 40000lb machine on the pavement at pearson in the dead of night during a snowstorm may sound ultra-cool and exhilarating, but I promise you it wears off very quickly. Like, by the 3rd one. After that, you’ll call in sick those days than deal with the deice lineup. The reality of many nights away from home (dodging divorce bunnies aka cabin crew), missing your connections home while waiting with great impatience for ramp crews to just do their job, or even show up; listening to some cojoe who’s had his life paid for and how good he is, to flying the same crap tail that has the same reoccurring MEL for MONTHS back and forth to the same small towns over, and over, and over again. All that, just to end up at a wage you are at now. If that’s seems worth it to you, please find an open window nearby and consider your options.

Get your license, buy a tail and fly for fun. You’ll be so much happier, and farther ahead.

This! Sums it up perfectly what it's like flying for a regional. Likely in the US or other countries the advice would be different, but not in Canada. I will also give a +1 to the "don't do it" advice.

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

This.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Very few people go to Jazz for a career. Its a stepping stone to Air Canada mainline. The only airline in Canada where you are home every night is Flair, and a Captain here will make more than the top salary at Jazz (18 year CRJ Captain), and you will reach that pay year 4 in the left seat.

What you do between now and that day will be what decides if it was worth it. If the recovery keep growing people here are forecasting the need for 1000 pilots at Air Canada, thats a wave that has never happened since WW2 ended and it will trickle down to every corner of this industry from floats, to instructing, to all airlines. If you time it right you will have a choice where you spend your career that has never existed before. If you time it wrong, you will have a massive hole in your bank account and nothing to show for it.

Sit down with your partner and weigh it out. It is a fun job, but its still a job. The sacrifices are huge, but the payoff is there.

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

co-joe wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm Very few people go to Jazz for a career. Its a stepping stone to Air Canada mainline. The only airline in Canada where you are home every night is Flair, and a Captain here will make more than the top salary at Jazz (18 year CRJ Captain), and you will reach that pay year 4 in the left seat.

What you do between now and that day will be what decides if it was worth it. If the recovery keep growing people here are forecasting the need for 1000 pilots at Air Canada, thats a wave that has never happened since WW2 ended and it will trickle down to every corner of this industry from floats, to instructing, to all airlines. If you time it right you will have a choice where you spend your career that has never existed before. If you time it wrong, you will have a massive hole in your bank account and nothing to show for it.

Sit down with your partner and weigh it out. It is a fun job, but its still a job. The sacrifices are huge, but the payoff is there.
Forecast is over optimistic.

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

F#ck yeah it’s worth it. After 25 years, I still love it. I never went airlines though, so can’t speak to that.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

The float industry is already crying for pilots. Lots of options if you get the commercial and a bit of float time.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I think given things the way they are, you’re better off keeping the career you have. Just get a private license and fly for fun. Your choice but you have a lot to lose going this route

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

futboler14 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm
This.
+1 it’s not worth the BS and sacrifices. Fly for fun that is all.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-FDPB wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:46 am The float industry is already crying for pilots. Lots of options if you get the commercial and a bit of float time.
Hard to do if he doesn't want to go North though. There are some exceptions like Harbour Air, but i doubt they'd hire 250 hour float pilots.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Been flying for a living for 27yrs. Never missed a paycheque in that time. Still love it.
Not an airline pilot

avi888tor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avi888tor »

co-joe wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm Very few people go to Jazz for a career. Its a stepping stone to Air Canada mainline. The only airline in Canada where you are home every night is Flair, and a Captain here will make more than the top salary at Jazz (18 year CRJ Captain), and you will reach that pay year 4 in the left seat.

The reason I mentioned jazz is because jumping to air canada from left seat is a 50% pay cut for the first 4 years?

I don't mind being away from time to time, the idea of missing every birthday and taking another big hit in pay for 4 years alone really pushes me away.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

I used to work as a plant operator in Alberta, sometimes made 3x my regional FO take home with a small bit of OT

No regrets. Never. Ever.

Do you think you'll love flying? For a living? Will flying for Jazz or whatever make you happy? Better question, will it make you happier than you are now? If you won the lottery tomorrow, would you still become an airline pilot?

Who knows right?

What you need to ask yourself, will you look back at 65 asking yourself why you didn't do it?

Dont let age deter you either, I have met many career changers.

If you want it, even just a bit, DO IT. You won't regret it.

PS
You still have a large earning potential in this field. Yes, it's not the US, no its not Europe, but it also isn't Yemen.

See you in the sky,

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

I left a really good job as a dad and husband and made the change. Someone told me early on you have to be willing to go where the work is to move forward. This may require you to move up to a place up North to build experience. Or if you're really lucky you can get straight onto a regional with instructing experience alone. Some programs offer partnerships that are worth exploring. 250 hrs to the right seat type deal.

All in all it worked out for me. I'm at a good place with great people and enjoy the work. The wages the first few years were not so great so I did some things on the side to keep the oven burning. I was fortunate in many respects but if you come up with a game plan with the partner, be ready to deal with the unexpected bumps and things will work out. Really understand what you'll be bringing home pay wise the first few years. Tiring or not, you'll be working X and bringing home Y. It's a great career. Good luck.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

No. Financially, and logically, it's not worth it. With that said, if you pursue flying and really love it, then you should do it. I have wanted to a be a pilot since I was 10. I'm 32 now, have been flying since I was 17, and have no regrets. I've been at Encore on the Q400 for the last 5 years. Regional flying is not a career job. Even at 32, in good shape, I'm continuously tired. I can't imagine doing it long term. There are so many career options right now that it's hard to even provide guidance. You could get hired at TC or with some other company that has a government contract and work nice, easy hours, Monday-Friday. Airlines aren't necessarily the be all and end all. Obviously, top scale 777 skipper is making the most money, but the road there might not appeal to some people. Maybe you're happy working a nice easy schedule somewhere else, and still earning 100k+. Those jobs are out there right now.

I think you creating this thread proves that you might not be 100% happy with your current job, and deep down, you want to be a pilot. If you want to do it, you will make it happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

avi888tor wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm Please let me know if the numbers are off, but I'd likely have to instruct for 2 years, then go to a small operator for 1-2 years before switching to Jazz or Encore, and then making roughly what I do now after 3 years of service there?
As a piece of advise, don’t plan on numbers, as you have no clue how things would go, therefore you’d be setting your expectations, only to be let down.

If you want it, go for it. Once you’re in the ‘system’, you’ll navigate your way through it.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

I left a good career in my 30s because I didn't feel the spark anymore and had always thought of flying. I finally had enough money to pull the trigger and am flying now but had to make many sacrifices to get here. Once the paycheques got significantly smaller and I wasn't sure if I could afford my mortgage we had to rent out a room just to make it work financially. The first job that came along meant many months away from home with a less than enthusiastic (but supportive) partner who's had to shoulder all the home responsibilities while I'm away. Even at a regional and with a flow to mainline I know it will be 6-8 years before I start making the same kind of money I was making before. These are the types of sacrifices you have to be willing to make. For me it was worth it, but I was miserable where I was at. If you're relatively content then maybe flying for fun is a less sacrificial path for you, but that will be your decision to make. Let us know what you decide!

Return to “General Comments”