Sandy Lake Seaplane Service

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sandy Lake Seaplane Service

Post by porcsord »

I've heard that there was a fatal accident and Big T may have been involved. Can anybody shed some light?
---------- ADS -----------

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sandy Lake Seaplane Service

Post by sunk »

Yes it was Tom. Hit a tower on departure.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Ugh, got the pictures sent to me.

Hope it was quick and painless.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

So he’s the one that was killed?

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/ ... sh-5413674

One person has died after a float plane crashed in Sandy Lake First Nation on Thursday.

The crash involved a Cessna U206G float aircraft operated by Sandy Lake Seaplane and occurred around 6:50 p.m., Chief Delores Kakegamic announced on social media early Friday morning.

“There will be an official investigation and the crash site has been secured,” she wrote, saying the chief and council would share further details as they became available.

In a statement issued Friday, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said it was deploying a team to investigate the incident.

Kakegamic also shared a request from the victim’s family that pictures of the crash site not be posted to social media.

Brotherston.liam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Brotherston.liam »

Hey there.

I’m not sure of this chat site. But I can confirm it was my father Thomas brotherston or as I see some of you called him big T. Please guys I hope you refrain from sharing pictures in here at all. I can confirm it was quick and painless. He hit an antenna with his wing coming in from camp.

Again guys. Please refrain from pictures as I’m sure it isn’t something anyone will enjoy seeing.

Hope everyone can respect that,
Cheers,
Liam Brotherston

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

sunk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:28 pm Yes it was Tom. Hit a tower on departure.
As a newbie on floats, I did have an interesting experience last year on a nice day. Took off from a lake in a slow climbing floatplane and did a 180 degree turn. With the nose-up attitude obscuring some of the forward visibility and my not looking out as much as I could have, I then noticed a tower off to my right at a similar altitude. Fortunately, it was reasonably far away but closer than I expected. I remembered seeing it while on the water but didn't pay much attention to it as we were taking off in a different direction. Power lines and objects on the water seemed to be more to worry about.

I did think to myself that one should make a mental note of nearby towers all around to keep in mind for the departure, at least anywhere near the planned departure route. One could say the same for land planes but I got the feeling that it could be more of a threat for seaplanes that tend to climb more slowly.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The crazy thing is how many literal thousands of times he flew in that area, a good wake up call for any of us about how complacency can easily creep in.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Brotherston.liam wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:56 pm Hey there.

I’m not sure of this chat site. But I can confirm it was my father Thomas brotherston or as I see some of you called him big T. Please guys I hope you refrain from sharing pictures in here at all. I can confirm it was quick and painless. He hit an antenna with his wing coming in from camp.

Again guys. Please refrain from pictures as I’m sure it isn’t something anyone will enjoy seeing.

Cheers,
Liam Brotherston
Liam,
I'm sorry to hear about your father's untimely passing. I worked a short-term contract for him and Tim J 20+ years ago, and had a great time. I hope that you and your family have some great stories and memories to remember him with.

~NS

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Cheers,
Liam Brotherston
Liam,

I'm sorry for your loss, I worked there in 2009-2010 and have many fond memories of both your father and you. I hope you are doing as well as you can be given the circumstances. All the Alumni of SLSS are thinking of you guys.

EP

citabriaguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citabriaguy »

Sorry for your loss Liam. I have some good memories working for T&T. Tom made good moose stew and was a far better float pilot than I’ll get ever get around to becoming. The 500 hours or so I flew at SLSS taught me more than the next 1500 hours.. feels so surreal to think Tom won't be bombing around in BGJ.

He didn’t drink when I was up there but I’ll pour one out for him.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Here’s to us
Whas like us
Gai few
An they are all dead
Slange

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Still being assessed by the TSB for the class of investigation. It would be helpful to know what the weather was like at the time. Anybody have historical records for that day from public area weather.

"C-GBGJ, a float-equipped Cessna U206G registered to Sandy Lake Seaplane Service, was
conducting a privately operated flight from the Sandy Lake Water Aerodrome (CKE5), ON, to an
unnamed lake, located approximately 25 minute flight north of CKE5, and a subsequent return
flight to CKE5. On the return flight, while on final for a southwest direction landing at CKE5, the
aircraft collided with a communication tower in the Sandy Lake First Nation community. The aircraft
subsequently collided with terrain, caught fire, and was destroyed. The pilot, who was the sole
occupant, was fatally injured. The Nishnawbe Aski Police Service and the Sandy Lake First Nation
Fire Department responded. The TSB deployed to the site."

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

pelmet wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:36 am Still being assessed by the TSB for the class of investigation. It would be helpful to know what the weather was like at the time. Anybody have historical records for that day from public area weather.

"C-GBGJ, a float-equipped Cessna U206G registered to Sandy Lake Seaplane Service, was
conducting a privately operated flight from the Sandy Lake Water Aerodrome (CKE5), ON, to an
unnamed lake, located approximately 25 minute flight north of CKE5, and a subsequent return
flight to CKE5. On the return flight, while on final for a southwest direction landing at CKE5, the
aircraft collided with a communication tower in the Sandy Lake First Nation community. The aircraft
subsequently collided with terrain, caught fire, and was destroyed. The pilot, who was the sole
occupant, was fatally injured. The Nishnawbe Aski Police Service and the Sandy Lake First Nation
Fire Department responded. The TSB deployed to the site."
I was told by someone closely connected that the weather was very good. The tower is very close to the seaplane base and runway at Sandy Lake. I saw TB just a few days before the accident at Selkirk. He always brought a box of donuts or other treats for the guys in the maintenance shop.

AP

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

On a lighter note, I did speak with Tom a few years ago. I forget the reason for the call, but at the time I'd been flying a Cessna 207 and had come to the conclusion that it was simply a 206 that was 200 lbs over gross. We began to talk about that model, and I asked if he had ever seen one on floats. He said he hadn't, but if I was to get one..."You'd have the fastest boat on the lake.".

Pretty well summed it up.

Condolences to all affected by this sad event.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Clippy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clippy »

Liam,

My condolences to you, your family and the community. I have good memories of keeping the office stove filled in the winter of 2000/2001 - you were a fun little fella to have around at the time.

Best wishes in dealing with this.

TT

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

That is horrible news. I didn’t know Tom well, but could tell he was a great guy. I remember breaking down in Sandy at night. I caught a ride to the sea plane office. Him and the boys put me up for the night with steaks and drinks despite having never met any of them. I’ll always remember him helping me out in a time of need with a smile on his face.
A true legend

Pilotpirate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilotpirate »

Cheers,
Liam Brotherston
Liam,
I worked for your father in 1997 and have photos of Tom, your Mother and you at that time.
I last saw you all in Nanaimo BC in I believe 2003 and took you all for a local flight in the area and lunch.
Please give me a call,
250 618-4707

maru_beltran
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maru_beltran »

fish4life wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:50 pm The crazy thing is how many literal thousands of times he flew in that area, a good wake up call for any of us about how complacency can easily creep in.
Imagine landing there repeatedly for 50 years and suddenly a hard to see antennae gets built at the threshold.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

maru_beltran wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:08 am
fish4life wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:50 pm The crazy thing is how many literal thousands of times he flew in that area, a good wake up call for any of us about how complacency can easily creep in.
Imagine landing there repeatedly for 50 years and suddenly a hard to see antennae gets built at the threshold.
"AT" the threshold? I am not sure I have ever seen a runway with an antenna AT the threshold.

Does anyone have an accurate description of where the antenna is located.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”