US / Canada Differences Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mac210
Rank 0
Rank 0

US / Canada Differences Training

Post by mac210 »

I'm an FAA-certificated pilot based in the US and am planning to fly my high-performance single up to Canada for the first time this summer.

I have been reading through all of the TC documentation on Canadian procedures, but ideally would also like to get some 'ground' instruction from someone who has experience flying IFR and VFR on both sides of the border.

I was thinking perhaps some school or private instructors might offer remote instruction over video chat or similar. Or perhaps there's a good course on the differences that I haven't found yet.

Any recommendations?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: US / Canada Differences Training

Post by Bede »

When you say high performance, what do you mean? (There's a big difference in just that term I believe.)

mac210
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mac210 »

Turbo 210

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Not considered a high performance airplane in Canada

mac210
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mac210 »

Great, one difference learned!

I'm primarily interested in differences in procedures and terminology. I don't expect most of those will be A/C type specific.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Different circuit (not “pattern”) entry procedures for uncontrolled aerodromes. Look up the requirements for Mandatory Frequencies at the busier uncontrolled aerodromes too.

Class C airspace needs clearance to enter, with contact only required for Class D. Class B airspace (found only above 12,500) requires flight under controlled VFR, wherein you must request, accept, and follow a clearance.

VFR Flight plans are automatically opened at your given departure time so if the flight doesn’t go and you forget to cancel you’ll get an unwelcome phone call from FIC about 30 mins after your scheduled arrival time.

Make position reports to other Traffic on 126.7 MHz nationwide or instead specific local frequencies listed in the CFS in certain high traffic areas, such as in the GTA (for which see the reverse of the Toronto VTA)

126.7 can also be used in most areas to contact FSS for weather excepting again certain high traffic areas where alternative frequencies are published.

If flying IFR then minimum crossing altitudes are to be interpreted differently- details in the TRansport Canada AIM. 100nm minimum safe altitudes and MSAs are for operational use and not just for emergencies.

ATC expects straight-in approaches by default rather than full procedures with course reversals- if in doubt confirm with ATC how you will be flying an ILS when you get an approach clearance.

Runways with single digits have a zero prepended- hence “Runway Zero Eight” not “Runway Eight”.

Only one aircraft can be cleared to land at any given time, so your landing clearance may be delayed from what you might epect, until the previous traffic is at least clearing onto a taxiway.

Say “decimal” pronounced “DAY-see-mal” not “point” in frequencies.

VFR weather minima are somewhat simpler. Thank god.

Other than a few military control zones, your flight details VFR will be accessible to all enroute and tower controllers if you want a radar service, so you will not generall be told to squawk 1200 leaving one area, and have to pass your details to the next; you keep one code for the duration of the flight.

Last edited by photofly on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:24 am
Only one aircraft can be cleared to land at any given time, so your landing clearance may be delayed from what you might epect, until the previous traffic is at least clearing onto a taxiway.
Incorrect, lots of major airports in Canada can clear you to land as number 3/4 etc

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Canada’s CYR and CYA areas are handled differently than the R or MOA areas in the U.S. while one may usually even transit both of those types of areas in the U.S. with appropriate restrictions given any active traffic, CYRs during their active times are pretty much no go ever. CYAs will also be no go if they are published as active for IFR traffic, though one is free to enter them at own risk VFR. On the other hand Canada doesn’t have TFRs, we don’t care about Justin’s security like Americans care about their political leadership (it is common to see many TFRs during a presidential election season). Temporary restrictions are listed confusingly in our awkward NOTAM system, usually for forest fire areas, other emergency activity, air shows or nowadays, drone activity. There will be the odd restriction based upon a visiting head of state. Such restrictions fortunately are rare and sparse.

I also find that Canada’s flight service and ATC is more integrated in terms that one may open, close or adjust flight plans, where as down south, Radio and Centre don’t talk to one another at all. You may ask centre here to close a VFR flight plan and they will usually (sometimes grudgingly) do it, where as to centre down there if you filed VFR, they ain’t heard of you.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

fish4life wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:17 am
Incorrect, lots of major airports in Canada can clear you to land as number 3/4 etc
Quantify “lots”, and consider into how many of them would a piston single fly.

In Canada VFR flight plans (or a flight itinerary) are mandatory for any flight proceeding more than 25nm from the point of departure.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

No they don’t. They will only tell you your sequence. The only time multiple aircraft may have landing clearance is if there are multiple runways in use. In which case only one aircraft per runway will have their landing clearance.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Squaretail wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:23 am
No they don’t. They will only tell you your sequence. The only time multiple aircraft may have landing clearance is if there are multiple runways in use. In which case only one aircraft per runway will have their landing clearance.
Cyyz, cyyc, cyvr, Cywg are just a few I can think of off hand that will clear you to land multiple aircraft back.

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:24 am 126.7 can also be used in most areas to contact FSS for weather excepting again certain high traffic areas where alternative frequencies are published.
They don't answer anymore on 126.7 except if you are very lucky. You need to reach them on the regional frequency. You can find it on the CFS page of the closest airport.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Wrong. I was cleared to land #3 just yesterday.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Ok, fair enough. To the OP: if you’re flying into Toronto Pearson, Vancouver International, Calgary International, or Winnipeg International, you can be cleared to land number two, three or four. Otherwise, you won’t be cleared to land until you’re number 1 and the runway is clear, which might be later than you’re expecting.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Float_lover wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:11 am
photofly wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:24 am 126.7 can also be used in most areas to contact FSS for weather excepting again certain high traffic areas where alternative frequencies are published.
They don't answer anymore on 126.7 except if you are very lucky. You need to reach them on the regional frequency. You can find it on the CFS page of the closest airport.
I’m showing my age then. However every time I have attempted to demonstrate to someone that London Radio doesn’t monitor 126.7, they respond on frequency immediately. YMMV.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

ant_321 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:12 am

Wrong. I was cleared to land #3 just yesterday.
They wouldn’t do it last time I was into CYYC.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:18 am
Float_lover wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:11 am
I’m showing my age then. However every time I have attempted to demonstrate to someone that London Radio doesn’t monitor 126.7, they respond on frequency immediately. YMMV.
Many FSS areas still have 126.7 as their default. I think only a few busy areas they switched to other frequencies, probably due to the amount of GA training traffic that plagues the frequency.

mac210
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mac210 »

Thanks all for the tips. I'll mostly be flying in the Maritimes but may cross Ontario on the way back.

The fields I fly out of here are pretty busy so a late landing clearance isn't unusual (we have restrictions on issuing landing clearances with traffic in position to depart, which happens a lot at busy times). We'll sometimes get "#1, continue, expect clearance on final".

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

fish4life wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:17 am

photofly wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:24 am

Quantify “lots”, and consider into how many of them would a piston single fly.
From my experience flying light singles and twins in the US, I have been given a landing clearance upon entering the control zone in the US, but never in Canada. Though others report here receiving landing clearances when they were not yet the "final" airplane on final, I have never in Canada been offered a landing clearance until the runway was clear, and no airplane was ahead of me. I have been told to "expect a late landing clearance".

When I inquired in the US about receiving a landing clearance upon entering the control zone, it was explained to me that that clearance permitted me to land as planned if I had a comm failure before I reached long final. This makes some sense, and has happened to me. Alternatively, in Canada, if you're in the control zone, though not yet with a landing clearance, and you have a comm failure, a landing is not authorized. 'Doesn't mean I might not continue, based upon circumstances, but it make for "discussions" later.

If, during your GA flying in Canada, you receive a "cleared to land #3" clearance, do come back and tell us about it! I've never had such a clearance ever.

Depending upon which part of the US is your customary flying area, you may find the large distances in Canada "sparse" by comparison as you fly them. In particular at night, some routes which look simple have very poor visual cues. Over many common Canadian routes, at night, you would practically be flying without visual reference to the surface for periods, even in very good weather. Either be prepared to fly without reference to the surface, or change your route to follow highways or populated areas.

And, don't worry about differences too much, if in doubt, ask at the time. I've flown entirely across three continents over the decades, and very rarely actually had a problem relating to differences in rules or local practices. I have found ATC to be helpful and patient, particularly when I say that I'm not familial with the local area.

Welcome to Canada.....

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

fish4life is correct, but it's relatively new. I think I got my first, "following an A320 2 miles final, cleared to land..." only a few weeks ago.

Return to “Flight Training”