Hours of Averaging

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Hours of Averaging

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

What operators have their schedules set up like this?
---------- ADS -----------

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hours of Averaging

Post by pilotidentity »

The ones that get the "best managed company" awards.

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

This is how they take away all of your over time. Your long hard hours are taken away and you work many days for free. Total scam.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Maskless1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:28 pm This is how they take away all of your over time. Your long hard hours are taken away and you work many days for free. Total scam.
Same as when they give you a raise so you get less take-home and pay more in taxes.

It’s all a scam!!

/sarc

Averaging is BS… but it still doesn’t mean you work days for free. GYHAS.

It also doesn’t take away overtime. If you work more than the allotted hours over the averaging period you do get OT. Where it works to your advantage is that generally companies that do averaging don’t schedule you for OT all of the time… so you can have things like a life rather than being an OT junkie to support an overly materialistic lifestyle or afford a house in Vancouver or that other expensive place.. what was it called?

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

No sorry it does take away over time….
Companies send employee home early on some days to bleed off your over time from your bank. The net result means you lose all of your over time before it due to be paid.
It’s designed so the company doesn’t have to pay out but you still have to work long hard days.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

‘Bob’ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:00 pm
Maskless1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:28 pm This is how they take away all of your over time. Your long hard hours are taken away and you work many days for free. Total scam.
Same as when they give you a raise so you get less take-home and pay more in taxes.

It’s all a scam!!

/sarc

It also doesn’t take away overtime. If you work more than the allotted hours over the averaging period you do get OT. Where it works to your advantage is that generally companies that do averaging don’t schedule you for OT all of the time… so you can have things like a life rather than being an OT junkie to support an overly materialistic lifestyle or afford a house in Vancouver or that other expensive place.. what was it called?
It’s very abusive, hence why companies have to reapply for it annually. That setup is intended for seasonal workers like farming or commercial fishing. When you work your overtime anything you bank should be given off at the 1.5 hrs you would have been paid rather than hour for hour. I’ve done it but not in a very long time, the only entity that benefits from it is the employer

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pilotidentity wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm The ones that get the "best managed company" awards.
No kidding

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

‘Bob’ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:00 pm

It’s all a scam!!

/sarc

I think anyone defending hours of averaging either don’t know how it works or can’t count, or are an employer that uses it regularly. Overtime labour rates are paid 1.5x1hour for a reason… because it’s taxing on the employees physically and mentally. Hours of averaging allow employers that apply for and get it to work employees to death without paying out overtime. They either a) send you on time off hour for hour that was worked or b) pay out the overtime in one lump at the fiscal year end (it’s a huge loan for the employer).
The overtime banked should be given at the 1.5 hrs per 1 hour worked overtime period.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Speaking of bad employers, wondering if anyone else is on this schedule and know what places use hours of averaging?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

As stated this practice benefits the employer 100%. If I give my employer my time they need to honour their end of the contract which means pay me my money in a timely fashion, without question or hesitation. And employers keep trying to figure out “quiet quitting”, high turnover and low morale. Morons. I don’t work OT….ever. Why? If you can’t afford to live on your regular or less than regular 40 hour work week you should really reassess your life choices. Look to Europe as they model the 30 hour week. Way happier and much more productive. North America is one step ahead of third world as far as expectations by employers. Joke.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:16 am As stated this practice benefits the employer 100%. If I give my employer my time they need to honour their end of the contract which means pay me my money in a timely fashion, without question or hesitation. And employers keep trying to figure out “quiet quitting”, high turnover and low morale. Morons. I don’t work OT….ever. Why? If you can’t afford to live on your regular or less than regular 40 hour work week you should really reassess your life choices. Look to Europe as they model the 30 hour week. Way happier and much more productive. North America is one step ahead of third world as far as expectations by employers. Joke.
In Canada 40 hours is a minimum in this industry. They should have in their job ads “mandatory weekends travel and overtime”

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

There is no such thing as “mandatory overtime”, there is only such things as spineless people who can’t say no. It’s easy day it with me “NO”. We live in a free, democratic society with rules and regulations one of which is the right to refuse unsafe work. If that decision to exercise that right leads to you being dismissed, ridiculed or disciplined well you have the right to say bye bye. If your broke and financially insecure that’s your problem. I don’t work for people that make their disorganization and greed take precedence over my leisure time. Sorry.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:50 pm There is no such thing as “mandatory overtime”, there is only such things as spineless people who can’t say no. It’s easy day it with me “NO”. We live in a free, democratic society with rules and regulations one of which is the right to refuse unsafe work. If that decision to exercise that right leads to you being dismissed, ridiculed or disciplined well you have the right to say bye bye. If your broke and financially insecure that’s your problem. I don’t work for people that make their disorganization and greed take precedence over my leisure time. Sorry.
I agree, they all plan on being short staffed and working 1 guy as hard as two for the price of 1.25 employees. There’s a reason I don’t work for those clowns anymore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:16 am As stated this practice benefits the employer 100%. If I give my employer my time they need to honour their end of the contract which means pay me my money in a timely fashion, without question or hesitation. And employers keep trying to figure out “quiet quitting”, high turnover and low morale. Morons. I don’t work OT….ever. Why? If you can’t afford to live on your regular or less than regular 40 hour work week you should really reassess your life choices. Look to Europe as they model the 30 hour week. Way happier and much more productive. North America is one step ahead of third world as far as expectations by employers. Joke.
Unfortunately even the best AME’s are unemployable when they say the two letter n word

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:50 pm There is no such thing as “mandatory overtime”, there is only such things as spineless people who can’t say no.
Unfortunately yes there is, legally speaking is debatable. It all depends on the employment contract. The hours of averaging approvals do have exemptions for some of the standard employment hours. It’s disgusting.

Return to “General Comments”