Know Your Worth & Ask For It

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Know Your Worth & Ask For It

Post by TA/RA »

Going to keep this really short.

-In my position I am reviewing pilot resumes

-I agree that employers should post their pay with their job adds.

-Some employers don’t want to post the pay and there is nothing that I can do about that.

-At the same time I’m trying to advocate for pay that is more inline with industry standards.

-As part of the application, pilots are asked their salary expectation. I have seen everything from “as per industry standard”, “negotiable”, “commensurate with experience”. Worse yet I’ve seen numbers that are insanely low! Know your worth and ask for it.

-If you’re reasonable, and the number is too high for the company then they can’t afford you. Move on to a company that will pay what you’re worth.

-I’m sitting here trying to get a company to get the pay to where it should be and people that lowball aren’t helping that process or our industry. Please know your worth, the salary expectation is a number not a string of letters.

-On the hiring side, I will not take part in the down bidding of our profession. When I see an application that is low bidding it is an instant no from me because how can you expect an employer to value you if you don’t value yourself.

-Before you apply and throw out a number please research the city where the job is and have a look at what it would cost you to move and live there, then add some for savings and having a little fun.

-Once the endorphin high from the shiny new type rating wears off you’ll wish that you’d asked for something livable.

Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by TA/RA on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Know Your Worth & Ask For It

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Has anyone asked for $500?

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Another thing to add is the jump from year 1 to year 2 pay. That should be at least the difference in cost between an initial ppc and a recurrent ppc. Anything less is just insulting.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

TA/RA wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:46 pm Going to keep this really short.

-Some employers don’t want to post the pay and there is nothing that I can do about that.

-At the same time I’m trying to advocate for pay that is more inline with industry standards.

-As part of the application, pilots are asked their salary expectation. I have seen everything from “as per industry standard”, “negotiable”, “commensurate with experience”. Worse yet I’ve seen numbers that are insanely low! Know your worth and ask for it.

-If you’re reasonable, and the number is too high for the company then they can’t afford you. Move on to a company that will pay what you’re worth.

-I’m sitting here trying to get a company to get the pay to where it should be and people that lowball aren’t helping that process or our industry. Please know your worth, the salary expectation is a number not a string of letters.

-On the hiring side, I will not take part in the down bidding of our profession. When I see an application that is low bidding it is an instant no from me because how can you expect an employer to value you if you don’t value yourself.

-Before you apply and throw out a number please research the city where the job is and have a look at what it would cost you to move and live there, then add some for savings and having a little fun.

-Once the endorphin high from the shiny new type rating wears off you’ll wish that you’d asked for something livable.

Thanks in advance!
For those about to apply, we salute you TA/RA.

+1 on employees doing some research and knowing what they bring to the table. Being able to offer a market comparison of similar pay scales when the topic comes up organically during the hiring process is important. Not only that, but perhaps upselling a bit, to account for future market trends, and something particular you bring to this position.

If the employer can't afford your well researched offer, have the self respect to say 'Thank you, but no thank you.'

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Thanks in advance!
You’re one of very few managers advocating for something that shouldn’t even be a discussion in 2022. I 100% agree with your thought process, and hope more step forward to help underpin this standard.
You’re still going to get low ball offers unfortunately, due to the huge spread of wages from operator to operator. Glad you posted this and align with so many who feel the same way. I’ve even seen applications in my time that offered to not only work for free, but pay per revenue hour flown! I wish there were minimum wages per license / type rating / experience level that were standard and enforceable in Canada personally.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks in advance!
If the employer can't afford your well researched offer, have the self respect to say 'Thank you, but no thank you.'

“Can’t afford” and “Won’t afford” are often the same thing sadly

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:18 pm Has anyone asked for $500?
I have. $525/day. I got relatively close to it on a "total compensation" package. I have also been paid well above that. Know your worth and stick to it is very sound advise. Total compensation is key as I have taken jobs north of 1k per day.

Some times HR just plunks you on a scale (TT vs relevant time). When in fact you are very much "over qualified" for the job and worth much more.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--

Return to “Employment Forum”