CAT 1 Medical and SSRIs for Anxiety

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

petrokingz
Rank 0
Rank 0

CAT 1 Medical and SSRIs for Anxiety

Post by petrokingz »

Howdy,

August of 2021 my family doctor began prescribing me Cipralex (Escitalopram) for my General Anxiety Disorder (GAD). I have been completely symptom free since about 2 months after starting the medication. I knew from talking with others and my CAME that I would have to get approval to fly on this medication so my CAME sent off the paperwork etc. and we got the ball rolling with getting approval.

I can't even begin to explain how brutal this process has been, long story short I still have NOT been cleared to fly. I have sent off two separate batches of paperwork to Civil Aviation Medicine in Toronto as I reside in the Ontario region. TC requested a boat load of testing up to even an MRI to ensure I had no adverse effects on this medication. All paperwork has been sent to them and I continue to try and get ahold of them. All medical testing has come back satisfactory according to the requesting physicians.

My ultimate question is, what is the likelihood that when or if I get my medical back, will it be restricted to flying with another pilot?. Is there any chance at this point I can obtain a CAT 1 clearance and not have restrictions attached to it (of course except that I have to be on my meds to fly).

It's mind blowing how far TC is behind with the times given I'd argue that I am safer in the air now than I was before. I have a CPL + Group 1 for context and am essentially waiting for the all clear so I can begin applying.

NOTE: I should also note that looking back, I am glad I completed the vast majority of my training before having to go through this hassle with TC. But I am very sympathetic of those who are battling this process while just trying to complete their flight training. I really hope in the coming years we see even more of an improvement with this process.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: CAT 1 Medical and SSRIs for Anxiety

Post by Bede »

It's going to take a while (my guess is 18 months) but my guess is it will work out. I have 2 friends that I know of on meds for GAD and both hold unrestricted medicals. It took a while though...

petrokingz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by petrokingz »

Ok thanks for the reply! 18 months is crazy but I’m 10 months in so what’s another 8 haha. It would all be worth it if they come back and give me an unrestricted CAT 1.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I am on the same medication, although I am taking it for my IBS and not anxiety. It has been found to help with IBS and it, among some other things, has indeed helped me with that.

I’ve been on it for a while now but I believe for it was 6 weeks, just to confirm no side effects. Bit of a different situation I guess.

Return to “General Comments”