Importing airplane from Columbia ( pros and CONS!)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Importing airplane from Columbia ( pros and CONS!)

Post by lidi »

Hello aviators, pros and cons on importing an airplane from Columbia ( specific advanced ultralight)? Is it too much of a headache or can it be accomplished relatively in a common sense.
If anyone has stories please share if you can and thanks
In advance.
---------- ADS -----------

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Importing airplane from Columbia ( pros and CONS!)

Post by FL030 »

Colombia

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Could be a paperwork nightmare if you spell the country's name wrong

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

CXALE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:58 pm Could be a paperwork nightmare if you spell the country's name wrong

No kidding, great point ! Spell check! Thanks

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Pro - you can sell the stuff you find under the floor boards to pay for the plane.
Con - you'd have to pay Trudeau a wealth tax because to him, there's no difference between a 172 and a G5 (sell more of the stuff under the floor boards to pay the tax)

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

Arnie Pye wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:02 pm Pro - you can sell the stuff you find under the floor boards to pay for the plane.
Con - you'd have to pay Trudeau a wealth tax because to him, there's no difference between a 172 and a G5 (sell more of the stuff under the floor boards to pay the tax)
Thank you for your assistance

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

'Sorry that you did not get a more useful reply here Lidi, but the question may be just too difficult to formulate a case specific answer for. When I worked an aviation job in Colombia a number of years ago, I found the group I worked with professional, and the aviation bureaucracy evident.

Having imported airplanes from other countries, and shipped or flew them home, I can say that there is a lot to it on the whole. For a GA airplane it's got to be pretty valuable to go through the effort and expense, particularly if you're going to container it home - that's its own demanding and expensive undertaking. I did it, and succeeded, but not with enough economy nor reserve of "good outcome" that I'd do it again.

You can search "bilateral agreements" on the TC aviation website, and that will indicate what to expect TC to accept from the Colombian authority. Thereafter, an MDM, find an inspector who is content to work with you.

Plan to be present for the inspection, and the final review before shipping, That becomes a cost of the transaction. And best be up on Spanish. Mine is very limited, but I had to learn fast, as many of the aviation people I worked with there did not speak English.

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 am 'Sorry that you did not get a more useful reply here Lidi, but the question may be just too difficult to formulate a case specific answer for. When I worked an aviation job in Colombia a number of years ago, I found the group I worked with professional, and the aviation bureaucracy evident.

Having imported airplanes from other countries, and shipped or flew them home, I can say that there is a lot to it on the whole. For a GA airplane it's got to be pretty valuable to go through the effort and expense, particularly if you're going to container it home - that's its own demanding and expensive undertaking. I did it, and succeeded, but not with enough economy nor reserve of "good outcome" that I'd do it again.

You can search "bilateral agreements" on the TC aviation website, and that will indicate what to expect TC to accept from the Colombian authority. Thereafter, an MDM, find an inspector who is content to work with you.

Plan to be present for the inspection, and the final review before shipping, That becomes a cost of the transaction. And best be up on Spanish. Mine is very limited, but I had to learn fast, as many of the aviation people I worked with there did not speak English.
Thank you for your reply much appreciated! I know it’s not easy and something that can be overwhelming for me. Basically it’s beginning to look like it’s not a good idea.

Return to “General Comments”