HELP NEEDED. SHOULD I GO WJ MAINLINE?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

IOV747
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP NEEDED. SHOULD I GO WJ MAINLINE?

Post by IOV747 »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get to the airlines. So far only WJ has call me. I am interested but have heard very different opinions about it. I’m currently making very good cash flying medevac from the left seat so it will mean a big pay cut and comfort left behind to make it to the 705's. As I am sure it is for most.

I am eager to hear from you guys. Considering all these announcements and considering Swoop and Sunwing, is it a good time to leave everything behind for West Jet mainline?
Would you guys prioritize Jazz (even though is lower pay but better career progression) or CargoJet?

Really appreciate your inputs guys!
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: HELP NEEDED. SHOULD I GO WJ MAINLINE?

Post by flyinhigh »

Just do you. While input is great you need to look at the overall package of EACH operator and consider all relevant facts of each position you are interested in, compare to what you currently have and make the decision on that.

I've been to a few operators (airlines included) and in the end it all came down to what my gut was telling me, and looking at the numbers, overall pkg, etc that made my decision. One persons choice and pressure to go to WJ maybe the worst decision for you which could make you miserable.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

I do think the possibility of some layoffs and disruption to air travel is possible the next couple years. Our current government doesn't seem to have a plan that is really concerned for the travel industry. Anyone making a move now should be considering plan b.

I don't see how the economy will sustain itself. Also lots of climate action initiatives where governments are coming up with IMO ridiculous policy. Look at the farmers protesting in Europe as the government is trying to eliminate cow farts in the Netherlands.

I would not rule out Trudeau coming up with policy that hurts the airlines and stagnates growth of even reduces the industry to the point of layoffs.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Here is my advice and it’s worth exactly what you paid for it!😂
Bird in the hand comes to mind, you could wait but there is no guarantee you will make it through the interview anywhere so I would take the first one that offers a job, you could always move later.
The reality is, it will almost always be a pay cut to go left seat medevac to the airlines, sad but true. So, unless you’re planning on saving up until you can afford it, no time like the present.
It also could backfire, we are in unprecedented times, pandemic, super inflation etc. I’m surprised the hiring machine is going but it could stop at any moment.
Can you see yourself doing medevac flying for the next 5-6 years, it could happen so consider that. As for WJ, you could do worse!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I’ve never heard of anyone leaving Westjet for Jazz or Cargojet (not saying it hasn’t happened). I know many who have left Jazz for Westjet and a couple who left Cargojet.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It’s 2008 nobody wanted to go to Air Canada, Westjet was the company to work for and AC looked like a dead end…

2022 who made a better king term choice the one that went to AC or the one that went to WJ? It’s impossible to look at a company now and say this is the best move 10-15 years from now because aviation is so variable.

I think all in compensation a WJ FO after 12 years will make more than a jazz captain and it might even be easier to get to AC from Westjet than from jazz by the sounds of the PML slowdown as Jazz.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

The latest Air Canada class had very few from WestJet, or Jazz. Mostly Transat and Cathay guys.

Sir Dixon Kipling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sir Dixon Kipling »

To answer your question…”Yes”

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Your post raises 2 questions:
1) should you leave medevac flying for the airlines. I can't answer that question for you. There's a big pay cut anywhere you go and the upside is limited due taxes.
2) should you go to WJ or Jazz. This seems to be a no brainer- go to WJ. You will earn far more than a Jazz captain by year 4 and schedule better right off the bat. Not sure why you think career progression is better at Jazz.

2Shoes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2Shoes »

Look at the complete package and lifestyle, not just pay in the early years.

At WJ you can fly a 737, there aren't really any other options.

Other airlines have variety in metal with overseas and domestic options, and you can change every few years if things are getting stale.

Just my 2 cents, from a guy nearing the end of a career.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

2Shoes wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:19 am Look at the complete package and lifestyle, not just pay in the early years.

At WJ you can fly a 737, there aren't really any other options.

Other airlines have variety in metal with overseas and domestic options, and you can change every few years if things are getting stale.

Just my 2 cents, from a guy nearing the end of a career.
Way to only look inside the box.

You actually have the option to fly a white and blue aircraft or a white and magenta aircraft.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you're talking Westjet mainline it's a no brainer. Go, now, run don't walk. If it's Encore, think long and hard before going, and know that you will likely never get flow to mainline, and you'll be at Encore wawcon for life. If it's Swoop, then yes, do it, get PIC on an 82 tonne jet, and then decide if you want mainline Westjet for money or not.

You can ALWAYS go back to medevacs. Once this door closes, you may never get the chance to go 705 again in your life.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Putting things into perspective - finding employment with a CARS 705 airline required years of experience many years ago. It is a privilege to be sitting in the flight deck of an airliner that not many people can experience.

If WJ offered you an interview I would not turn it down.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Just make sure you actually get paid properly for that ‘privilege’…

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

sjatana wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 pm Putting things into perspective - finding employment with a CARS 705 airline required years of experience many years ago. It is a privilege to be sitting in the flight deck of an airliner that not many people can experience.

If WJ offered you an interview I would not turn it down.
Nope not a privilege, it's just a job guys. You have a skill/ license they need and you need a job. If the Wawcon is acceptable to you then full steam ahead if not then on to the next bidder.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

sjatana wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 pm Putting things into perspective - finding employment with a CARS 705 airline required years of experience many years ago. It is a privilege to be sitting in the flight deck of an airliner that not many people can experience.
Clive, is that you?!

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

I also would have thought Jazz would be better in the long run and given better QOL with senority bidding. Also probably more opportunity for management type positions. Correct me if im wrong but WJ has social bidding not senority bidding? Curious to hear peoples thoughts. I was planning on making a career at Jazz (living in Calgary), would WJ be a better option and why?

Last edited by pitottubey on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

No disagreement with any of the comments above, except my mother did not name me Clive.

Cheers and safe flying folks.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 am I also would have though Jazz would be better in the long run and given better QOL with senority bidding. Also probably more opportunity for management type positions. Correct me if im wrong but WJ has social bidding not senority bidding? Curious to heasr peoples thoughts. I was planning on making a career at Jazz (living in Calgary), would WJ be a better option and why?
My personal opinion would be that Jazz is the better option. Even if AC isn’t in your crosshairs, Jazz is still a good second best with a stable career and decent lifestyle after you build some seniority.
WJ does not offer long term stability anymore IMHO. Also, it currently takes nearly 7 years seniority to hold YYC FO reserve. So if you live in Calgary, plan on at close to a decade flying out of YYZ first.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:41 am
pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 am I also would have though Jazz would be better in the long run and given better QOL with senority bidding. Also probably more opportunity for management type positions. Correct me if im wrong but WJ has social bidding not senority bidding? Curious to heasr peoples thoughts. I was planning on making a career at Jazz (living in Calgary), would WJ be a better option and why?
My personal opinion would be that Jazz is the better option. Even if AC isn’t in your crosshairs, Jazz is still a good second best with a stable career and decent lifestyle after you build some seniority.
WJ does not offer long term stability anymore IMHO. Also, it currently takes nearly 7 years seniority to hold YYC FO reserve. So if you live in Calgary, plan on at close to a decade flying out of YYZ first.
For someone starting at Jazz today, how long do you reckon it would take to be Captain in Calgary? What about a Captain with schedule bidding power? Thanks!

Return to “WestJet”