SkyMed - CBC

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: SkyMed - CBC

Post by JBI »

I'm looking forward to this show as I know the creator/writer. She spent time in Thompson 20 years ago and more recently while writing the show. Her sister was a flight nurse up there and her brother-in-law is a pilot. The inflight scenes were shot with direction from former King Air pilots so I expect that to be relatively realistic though I expect that like most shows based on any type of job (law, medicine, teaching, policing), they'll stick to the more dramatic events of the profession.

But like most shows based on jobs, the target audience is likely not those who actually work at those jobs. When I was practicing law full-time I couldn't stomach watching an law-firm based shows because they were not realistic, but shows like Suits or The Good Wife weren't popular because of that, they were popular because their are good stories and characters.

I know that most of us who have time flying up north have some pretty great stories (though a lot are probably not suitable for CBC) and, as cpt. sweet'njuicy demonstrates, there are lots of really fun characters who have been up there (again, a lot are probably not suitable for CBC).

So even if this show isn't your cup of tea, I imagine that some of your relatives will love it to get a sense of what you did when you were up north (even if the actors all seem much better looking than most of us and ALL have much nicer teeth)
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by JBI on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by cpt sweet'njuicy »

All of that may be true but when brilliant people in the entertainment industry put their minds to realism great things can happen. A show on medevac ought to be a movie and not a series. A series demands drama every episode and there just isn't. Unless she wants to bring in aviation management pressures, drinking and flying ( I suspect that will be there ) management pressures to break laws, management pressures to fly broken planes, management pressures to take the chiefs daughter, flying with rydar instead of radar. Getting stuck in the mud is a good one. Base an episode on max torque mud extractions while turning the prop blades into baseball bats. Show bags full of aluminum shavings to bring them into tolerance. Too boring? Too bad.

For sure do an episode on entitled nurses that thought they owned the plane, the pilots and everything else while getting paid a fortune. How many medevacs were bogus at (then) 7 dollars a statute mile. Too offensive? Too bad.

Im coming off angry and Im not. It was a blast and your friend will never capture it. She just cant

I thought the King airs flew themselves? Why such a boring plane?

.....there are pilots....and then there are people with a pilots licence...which are you?....
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What's 'rydar'?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

The inventor of Rydar will need to come on here and explain it himself.

.....there are pilots....and then there are people with a pilots licence...which are you?....
NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

It’s no Beachcombers, or Danger Bay :lol:

cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

or North of 60

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Well I've got to admit. Much better than expected. Some pretty cringy moments, but surprisingly realistic at times.

I'm sure Aviation Authority would like it as well :rolleyes:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Gotta say it was better than I was expecting. Of course it is CBC so there has to be some woke in it but they obviously had some technical advice from people who actually knew something about aviation and Medevac flying.

I really liked the line “he doesn’t have enough kindling for a helmet fire” and the ending was subtle enough I don’t think most non commercial pilots are really going to get it.

Bottom line; Way better than the excretable “Article Air” and I will watch the next episode

Skipper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skipper »

Hey fellow pilots!

Thanks for giving the show a chance. I understand your initial fears as we’ve all been there when a new flying show pops up, just to see our much beloved profession completely altered or minimized.

Accuracy is very important to the series creator but always had to be balanced with dramatic, technical, and budget considerations. For example, “Transport Canada” was not approved by the legal department, so it became “Aviation Authority”. If there are deviations from aviation norms and standards, there was always a good behind the scenes reason for it.

CBC did not actually make the show, Paramount Plus did and they sold the rights to CBC to air it in Canada. The whole season is now up on CBC Gem behind the paywall but you can do a free 30 day trial, watch all 9 episodes and then cancel the subscription before paying for it.

Please continue to tell Thompson you’re Coming in Hot! :D

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Skipper wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:55 am “Transport Canada” was not approved by the legal department, so it became “Aviation Authority”.
Do you know what the issue was for that? I'm a bit surprised, it's like not using 'RCMP' or 'Police' in a series.

Skipper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skipper »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:03 am
Skipper wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:55 am “Transport Canada” was not approved by the legal department, so it became “Aviation Authority”.
Do you know what the issue was for that? I'm a bit surprised, it's like not using 'RCMP' or 'Police' in a series.
The reasons vary, but in the end legal teams decide what can and can’t be used. Actually, in later episodes you’ll see the RCMP had to be replaced with “Northern Police”.

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

I have never worked in a Northern community, nor as a medevac pilot. I was really interested to see how many traditionally underrepresented people have aviation jobs in the North. I think it's great that the show is so inclusive and has chosen to realistically portray this surprising fact of Northern life. The company depicted has one straight white pilot, excluding the chief pilot, whose sexuality is never explored in the series. But he is deaf, and so he represents yet another underrepresented minority if you think about it. I had no idea the North was so diverse. The only aspect I feel a little disappointed about is that while most of the male cast are crawling all over each other, none of the women are. I think the producers ignored a real opportunity for even more inclusivity here. I think I speak for all when I say we would like to see some lesbians and gender-diverse people in the second season. Also I think there is room for other minorities, for instance an A.M.E. with Down's syndrome.

There are other things I like, too. I think all chief pilots should wear white shirts with epaulettes and a tie when they are in the office. It is an indicator of their authority and responsibility. Some people think that uniforms are a badge of servility that labels the wearer as someone who gets told what to do for a living (much like a hi-viz vest), but nothing could be farther from the truth. They are a badge of AUTHORITY.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Every know and then you encounter a post here where you can't tell if it's real or satire. Well done 8)

cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

You cant tell? I love it. A deaf pilot, downs syndrome AME. I'm pretty sure a paraplegic person can handle a V1 cut. Why did they leave them out? Not very inclusive. The CBC is checking all the boxes. Justin is very very happy. Another 1.6 billion on the way!

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

cpt sweet'njuicy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm Unless she wants to bring in aviation management pressures, drinking and flying ( I suspect that will be there ) management pressures to break laws, management pressures to fly broken planes, management pressures to take the chiefs daughter, flying with rydar instead of radar. Getting stuck in the mud is a good one. Base an episode on max torque mud extractions while turning the prop blades into baseball bats. Show bags full of aluminum shavings to bring them into tolerance. Too boring? Too bad.
They've been there and done that, it was called Ice Pilots. :smt040

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Girl17 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 pm I have never worked in a Northern community, nor as a medevac pilot. I was really interested to see how many traditionally underrepresented people have aviation jobs in the North. I think it's great that the show is so inclusive and has chosen to realistically portray this surprising fact of Northern life. The company depicted has one straight white pilot, excluding the chief pilot, whose sexuality is never explored in the series. But he is deaf, and so he represents yet another underrepresented minority if you think about it. I had no idea the North was so diverse. The only aspect I feel a little disappointed about is that while most of the male cast are crawling all over each other, none of the women are. I think the producers ignored a real opportunity for even more inclusivity here. I think I speak for all when I say we would like to see some lesbians and gender-diverse people in the second season. Also I think there is room for other minorities, for instance an A.M.E. with Down's syndrome.

There are other things I like, too. I think all chief pilots should wear white shirts with epaulettes and a tie when they are in the office. It is an indicator of their authority and responsibility. Some people think that uniforms are a badge of servility that labels the wearer as someone who gets told what to do for a living (much like a hi-viz vest), but nothing could be farther from the truth. They are a badge of AUTHORITY.
You’re right, the fact that there’s such a high population of Down syndrome in the pilot community there should be one represented in fiction as an ame

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:46 am You’re right, the fact that there’s such a high population of Down syndrome in the pilot community there should be one represented in fiction as an ame
What's wrong with you? Reported for just being just plain toxic towards other communities.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Well the second episode was fairly ok as well. Only one major cringe moment, and 2 or 3 eyerolls.

Seems like the most unrealistic part of the whole series is that all the calls happen during daytime and the crew has waaaaaay too much energy.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Girl17 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 pm
I think all chief pilots should wear white shirts with epaulettes and a tie when they are in the office. It is an indicator of their authority and responsibility. Some people think that uniforms are a badge of servility that labels the wearer as someone who gets told what to do for a living (much like a hi-viz vest), but nothing could be farther from the truth. They are a badge of AUTHORITY.
Oh, my….. :roll:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

munzil wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:13 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:46 am You’re right, the fact that there’s such a high population of Down syndrome in the pilot community there should be one represented in fiction as an ame
What's wrong with you? Reported for just being just plain toxic towards other communities.
Which community would be most offended by Bug_Stomper_01's joke? The Down Syndrome community or the pilot community?

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”