The Career of an AME

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Career of an AME

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Meatservo wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:41 pm There's another thread here where pilots are discussing the wages and working conditions in America compared to here in Canada. The news seems to be that pay is almost double for the same experience level and endorsements, etc. in America.

What is it like for AMEs? Is it the same scenario?
That’s correct. In some instances three times four times as much for AME’s states side. We do very well with the customers we have and experience we offer in my company. There’s a severe lack of experienced a&p’s especially in the helicopter market south of the border.
Companies were offering as much as 1000-1200/day in Canada to attract medium ame talent this season and were turned down (I know that first hand). There’s way more money to be made for 1/3 the work and BS.
Aircraft are almost entirely in a hangar for maintenance unlike in Canada in some god awful place starting in Lac or ending in some body of water (lake, falls, river, etc) feeding flys.
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah... starts with "fort" or "Lac", or ends with "lake" or "portage". I hear ya.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

42 an hour to sign a release. Yeah no thanks. What is it 2010? That level of personal responsibility for that age is not only insulting its plain ridiculous. Don’t forget to add on call, nights, weekends in bum$$$$ nowhere. That’s a TFW wage that will get his sponsorship pulled if he farts without asking. Laughable.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:18 pm 42 an hour to sign a release. Yeah no thanks. What is it 2010? That level of personal responsibility for that age is not only insulting its plain ridiculous. Don’t forget to add on call, nights, weekends in bum$$$$ nowhere. That’s a TFW wage that will get his sponsorship pulled if he farts without asking. Laughable.
A&P’s in any state make 40-50/hr USD on average 9-5, home every night with a full benefits package. Canada sucks

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

donnybrook wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:32 pm viewtopic.php?t=61113

Take a look at the salaries offered in this 13 y/o thread.
I read that years ago when it was active. People still seem to be digging it up every few months, perhaps I’ll necropost it and bring it up a few notches for people to see. The wages are the same as 2022 or higher in some instances. These operators will never change. Canada has too many facets for employers to abuse.

CaptainKirk2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CaptainKirk2 »

'i was in the industry for a few years. very good stability.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

CaptainKirk2 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:51 am 'i was in the industry for a few years. very good stability.
A few years in between layoffs??

Honestly though, because almost nobody with experience wants to currently do this trade in Canada there is a sort of stability. Thats the only reason and those that are left are expected to do mandatory O/T and wear several different hats.

Quality is generally lacking now, but its going to be a huge problem going fwd.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:06 pm
CaptainKirk2 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:51 am 'i was in the industry for a few years. very good stability.
A few years in between layoffs??

Honestly though, because almost nobody with experience wants to currently do this trade in Canada there is a sort of stability. Thats the only reason and those that are left are expected to do mandatory O/T and wear several different hats.

Quality is generally lacking now, but its going to be a huge problem going fwd.
It’s ridiculous. I just heard a colleague of mine from many moons ago is working for an operator in northern Canada on a helicopter I maintained years ago.
He’s pushing 70 and still wrenching on a medium loading and unloading buckets and doing night maintenance with major components coming due too boot. He should be retired but likely can’t afford to like many others that worked for crap in Canada that they took over and over and over again with a big smile during their careers.
There’s a number of pilots pushing or over 80 still going as well (currently flying in 2022). What the hell Is wrong with this country / industry?

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Maybe they love the industry so much they don't want to retire?? But being serious the lack of quality in the industry is definitely dropping like a rock. 5 more years and I am out of here!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

motox415 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:57 am Maybe they love the industry so much they don't want to retire?? But being serious the lack of quality in the industry is definitely dropping like a rock. 5 more years and I am out of here!
Quality waved goodbye in this industry over 10 years ago. And if I’m 70 crawling around on a transmission deck of a medium I’m already dead inside lol. The quality (lack thereof) is indicative of the lack of trade interest. Apprentices are being pushed through to license at a scary pace at some places. All these operators want is a signature, it’s becoming a safety concern.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

As much as I agree that being an AME is a pretty all around crappy job the people you speak of doing things at a later stage in life have put themselves there. Regardless of circumstances nobody forced them into it, nobody forced them to put their thing in another thing and breed, nobody forced them into the bush for bum pay. Drinking alcohol, doing drugs, smoking and buying that shiny truck because you think you need it and then planking the flight attendant on a layover and getting caught then handing over half of your life are all choices one makes. Can’t fix stupid unfortunately.

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

-42 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:28 pm As much as I agree that being an AME is a pretty all around crappy job the people you speak of doing things at a later stage in life have put themselves there. Regardless of circumstances nobody forced them into it, nobody forced them to put their thing in another thing and breed, nobody forced them into the bush for bum pay. Drinking alcohol, doing drugs, smoking and buying that shiny truck because you think you need it and then planking the flight attendant on a layover and getting caught then handing over half of your life are all choices one makes. Can’t fix stupid unfortunately.
This sounds really specific. I'd like to hear more. :)

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

helicopterray wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:18 pm
-42 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:28 pm As much as I agree that being an AME is a pretty all around crappy job the people you speak of doing things at a later stage in life have put themselves there. Regardless of circumstances nobody forced them into it, nobody forced them to put their thing in another thing and breed, nobody forced them into the bush for bum pay. Drinking alcohol, doing drugs, smoking and buying that shiny truck because you think you need it and then planking the flight attendant on a layover and getting caught then handing over half of your life are all choices one makes. Can’t fix stupid unfortunately.
This sounds really specific. I'd like to hear more. :)
Lmao

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I agree, most working at that stage were likely part of the reason why things are so horrible now.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 pm
Pacqing wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 pm I just heard on a Heavy Duty guy making $10,000 every 10 days on a 2 week rotation.
That’s pretty average in some places, and low in others. Have to know where and what this guy was doing…
I’m also a heavy duty that’s actually low on a rotation. Likely working for a contractor company for suncor.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:01 am
Pacqing wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 pm I just heard on a Heavy Duty guy making $10,000 every 10 days on a 2 week rotation.
That’s pretty average in some places, and low in others. Have to know where and what this guy was doing…
I’m also a heavy duty that’s actually low on a rotation. Likely working for a contractor company for suncor.
Probably. Those guys eventually make their way on as full time guys. Pretty good gif. Yes half your time is away but at least you’re well compensated for it.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:25 am
PitchLink wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:01 am

Probably. Those guys eventually make their way on as full time guys. Pretty good gif. Yes half your time is away but at least you’re well compensated for it.
Ya sometimes. Takes a bit of who you know in those positions but much easier than becoming a pilot in Canada that’s for aure

Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fling Wing »

I spent a decade working in the canadian rotory side, at a great company to boot. I took a job stateside to work in a warmer local especially for the winter months, and am one of many canadians working south of the border at my particular company, we all commute. The pay is salary, no more flight pay, and the retirement program matching won't be found at any company north of the border. No more crappy camp jobs ect. What a nice change. They tend to like canadians particularly for our experience compared to guys south of the border, just because we tend to fly a lot more in Canada.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Fling Wing wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:20 pm I spent a decade working in the canadian rotory side, at a great company to boot. I took a job stateside to work in a warmer local especially for the winter months, and am one of many canadians working south of the border at my particular company, we all commute. The pay is salary, no more flight pay, and the retirement program matching won't be found at any company north of the border. No more crappy camp jobs ect. What a nice change. They tend to like canadians particularly for our experience compared to guys south of the border, just because we tend to fly a lot more in Canada.

I agree and the pay is much MUCH better for the experience we bring.. it’s hilarious when I tell the guys down here about “day rates” and working more than 8 hours and working outside in the arctic at night. They all think we’re insane (they’re not far off!)

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Fling Wing wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:20 pm I spent a decade working in the canadian rotory side, at a great company to boot. I took a job stateside to work in a warmer local especially for the winter months, and am one of many canadians working south of the border at my particular company, we all commute. The pay is salary, no more flight pay, and the retirement program matching won't be found at any company north of the border. No more crappy camp jobs ect. What a nice change. They tend to like canadians particularly for our experience compared to guys south of the border, just because we tend to fly a lot more in Canada.
What region of Canada did you do that in?

Return to “General Comments”