Did your YOS accrue during layoff?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Did your YOS accrue during layoff?

Post by DanWEC »

Hello,

Just looking for some first-hand confirmation if any airlines allowed your YOS in terms of payscale to accrue while being laid off due to the pandemic.

I've heard AC might have allowed flat pay to accrue, but looking for clarification on that.
What about WJ, mainline or Encore? Swoop? Jazz?

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

PilotZum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Did your YOS accrue during layoff?

Post by PilotZum »

Air Transat… no YOS. They made sure to make that very clear.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

nothing at wingwing either

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'd be surprised if anyone did, but I've heard from more then a few people talking grass-is-always-greener that whatever airline they don't currently work at gave YOS.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

Air Canada YOS did not accrue for the furloughed. They were also taken off CEWS after a few months.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

WestJet did if you bumped into Encore via the PTA, conditional you took first recall notice back to Mainline when it came.

You also accrue YOS at Swoop for WestJet but not the other way around (funny how that works), so people laid off at WestJet and voluntarily took a Swoop spot accrued YOS at WestJet but started year one Swoop in the meantime until going back. ex: year 5 WJ FO goes to swoop year 1 pay, stays for one year will be year 6 WJ FO pay when returning.

If you were fully laid off, could not hold a Swoop or Encore spot via seniority, you did not accrue YOS but had CEWS for the whole time until government stopped it.

Encore did not accrue any YOS I believe but had CEWS the whole time.

edit: spelling

Lose != Loose
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

Jazz we accrued YOS during our "inactive" time aka CEWS.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:12 pm I'd be surprised if anyone did, but I've heard from more then a few people talking grass-is-always-greener that whatever airline they don't currently work at gave YOS.
Flair let the pay seniority clock keep rolling during the layoffs. I didn't want to answer at the time, in case it was a payroll error, but apparently the pilot group was small enough that they decided not to stop the clock for the roughly 9 months most of us were on CERB or EI.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:59 pm ...I've heard AC might have allowed flat pay to accrue, but looking for clarification on that.
Man it's insane how many people seem to think this....even captains I've flown with. No we absolutely did not accrue YOS. No CEWS...nothjng. All of that on top of all communication being cut off from ACPA.

We'll all be on year seven from DOH when we finally get off flat pay now.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:59 pm I've heard AC might have allowed flat pay to accrue
It did not, some folks even lost time accrual due to some clerical error. Far as I know it’s been fixed for those who noticed it but progression was definitely paused for the duration of an individual’s furlough. Some that may appear as exceptions were on some sort of medical leave and those people did continue gaining YOS. IMO it’s all a huge mess.

Return to “General Comments”