Average flying hours yearly by flight instructors

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Average flying hours yearly by flight instructors

Post by GetAGripen »

As a 'lazy' instructor working 8 hours days 5 days a week, 250-450 hours annually. Do a lot of sim stuff though.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

photofly wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:07 am If an instructor who is also a 792 pilot times out for 702 operations, can they continue to instruct beyond the 1000 hour limit?
I haven’t been involved with 702 ops for a few years so I’m not sure how duty times are counted now but it used to be that duty times were counted only on days when a pilot performed a 702 flight. In that case the duty day was from the beginning of the first flight of the day until the end of the last flight of the day, whenever 406 or 702 flights were flown. If no 702 flight occurred then no duty time was recorded that day. Under that scheme instructional flights could still occur after 1000 hours.

Yes our TC guy approved this.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Aviatard wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:39 am
photofly wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:07 am If an instructor who is also a 792 pilot times out for 702 operations, can they continue to instruct beyond the 1000 hour limit?
I haven’t been involved with 702 ops for a few years so I’m not sure how duty times are counted now but it used to be that duty times were counted only on days when a pilot performed a 702 flight. In that case the duty day was from the beginning of the first flight of the day until the end of the last flight of the day, whenever 406 or 702 flights were flown. If no 702 flight occurred then no duty time was recorded that day. Under that scheme instructional flights could still occur after 1000 hours.

Yes our TC guy approved this.
Maximum Flight Time
700.27 (1) An air operator shall not assign flight time to a flight crew member, and a flight crew member shall not accept such an assignment, if the member’s total flight time will, as a result, exceed

(a) 112 hours in any 28 consecutive days;

(b) 300 hours in any 90 consecutive days;

(c) 1,000 hours in any 365 consecutive days; or

(d) in the case of a single-pilot operation, 8 hours in any 24 consecutive hours.

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), a flight crew member’s flight time includes

(a) the flight time accumulated from other flight operations; and

(b) the total flight time of a flight with an augmented flight crew.

Given the statement at (2) (a) above I do not see how you could ignore instructing time in the total hour calculation

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Instructors or schools technically don’t need to follow flight duty regs. As for hours in a year I was doing 750-800 per year at my school.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

780Pilot wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:20 am Instructors or schools technically don’t need to follow flight duty regs. As for hours in a year I was doing 750-800 per year at my school.
Correct if you are only doing flight instruction under CAR Subpart 406. It is unfortunate that TC did not address the fact that there are no flight and duty times regulations for flight instruction as the existing ones only apply to flight operations conducted under CAR part 7

Return to “Flight Training”