Airport traffic mini rant

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Airport traffic mini rant

Post by PilotDAR »

So I'm flying into an uncontrolled MF airport this morning, I make my "ten minutes out" call, and exchange the prescribed information with Flight Service. No traffic, I'll land straight in. Fellow calls his ten minutes out about a minute later. He's directly behind me a few miles, at the same altitude, and by airplane type, probably flying at least half again as fast as I am. As a courtesy ('cause I know he's faster), I offer that he may pass me, and land first. Flight Service makes traffic separation a priority (thank you), and asks the fellow behind me to report me in sight. No report. Okay, I'm hard to see. FS asks and I update my position, then FS asks the other fellow, to report his, and happily, though he have not previously said, he's now a thousand feet lower than I, so conflict not possible - thanks you. Eventually, I see him directly down and ahead of me, and report. So I start my descent, number two straight in final.

Fellow ahead lands, and I'm a mile and a half high final (which I report). But, instead of pulling off into the taxiway which is right there for him, he turns and backtracks. Okay... I'm going around, which I report. A small circuit later, he's clear and I land. 'Feeling a little put out... I actively thought about how to get out of his way to reduce delay for him, I wish he had extended the same courtesy to me.

Mini rant over.
---------- ADS -----------

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Airport traffic mini rant

Post by broken_slinky »

Yeah, if there was a parallel taxiway running nearly the same length as the runway with multiple intersections and pilot could have turned off to clear the way for you, that pilot was a dick.
A couple years back, I was in the zone with a twin turbine that was practicing an IFR approach and making all the right calls to ensure everyone knew what he was doing. The IFR pilot was long final and called number one when an experimental single engine VFR pilot was in too much of a hurry and decided to turn base and final to beat the IFR guy to the runway. Caused the IFR guy to have to go around and abort the landing. If it was my pennies trying to get in my 6-6-6, I would have had some less than pleasant radio calls go out. I told the twin to file a CADOR but never did see one.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Not nice.

Maybe there was a reason, but in that case he could have told you as well.

Was the taxiway usable for him?
PilotDAR wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 am A small circuit later
Hehe :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Kind of like the twit who decides the fuelling spot in any uncontrolled airport is his all day while he goes to town. Inconsiderate people need to have parking lot discussions

anofly1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anofly1 »

well some folks dont know. I fuel , and then push myself to a far corner of the ramp, and chock or tiedown there, with my tail hanging over the grass, if possible, to make room for others. If noone has taught you this already, read it again. Do not leave an airplane without chocks or tied down, dont trust the mostly useless parking brakes... if its windy I might modify to point itinto the wind, but i still try to take up the least amount of ramp possible, and hang the tail over the edge, and dont leave a half a parking spot ,move somewhere and make room for a whole plane .
there and I did not call anyone that might not know better a twit....if you do know better, maybe you are a twit..

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Courtesy is a lost art. It tells me a lot about people.

My favourite recent story is returning to Canada and a captain in uniform cuts in front of me at the Nexus line. Pushes past me physically.

Usually I say nothing, this kind of thing has happened many times. Even at hotels you see it. This time I loudly called him out. Looks back with a little smirk that says “I’m a captain — my time is more important than yours”.

Customs agent rolls his eyes when I go forward. Winner.

That’s what pisses me off. Its the attitude.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I’m afraid that Entitled Small Businessman is always going to be trumped by Entitled Captain. All you’re doing is frustrating yourself.

There are a-holes in all professions, being one yourself won’t cure all the others.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:49 pm I’m afraid that Entitled Small Businessman is always going to be trumped by Entitled Captain. All you’re doing is frustrating yourself.

There are a-holes in all professions, being one yourself won’t cure all the others.
There is no such thing as an entitled small businessperson in my experience. Those fail. Fast.

I wait in line.

I follow the rules.

I am Very polite to service staff.

And:

Read the room! Flying is ugly right now. Cancelations and delays galore.

Having attitude in front of everyone isn’t a good look during this time.

And you all wonder why passengers lose it occasionally?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:06 pm Even at hotels you see it.
You know flight crew has dedicated check in lines at most hotels? They’re not marked but staff usually calls us forward because they have all the paperwork ready.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:06 pm Courtesy is a lost art. It tells me a lot about people.

My favourite recent story is returning to Canada and a captain in uniform cuts in front of me at the Nexus line. Pushes past me physically.

Usually I say nothing, this kind of thing has happened many times. Even at hotels you see it. This time I loudly called him out. Looks back with a little smirk that says “I’m a captain — my time is more important than yours”.
He's there, working, twelve times a month to your one. His time is more important than yours.

Courtesy is a lost art.
Apparently, it is.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:18 pm
His time is more important than yours.
Ah. I’m not working when I travel? Lotta assumptions in your post.

Ladies and gentlemen, the attitude in the entire industry is openly revealed by the above sentence. Captain’s time is worth more than anyone else’s. And the FO’s. And the flight crew. And the gate agent’s.

See how this works? (I doubt it)

You sound like an instructor who would cancel on their student at the last second, cause its a nice day to go to the beach. It’s exactly the same attitude. You know they will come back, a shortage of instructors. So F’em.

Your attitude is exactly why you have zero chance of being anything than a drone of some sort.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 pm
Hey, since we live in a capitalist society, this debate is easy to settle. How much was he making an hour while waiting in line, and how much were you making per hour waiting in line :mrgreen:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:50 pm
Hey, since we live in a capitalist society, this debate is easy to settle. How much was he making an hour while waiting in line, and how much were you making per hour waiting in line :mrgreen:
By this logic, If I am working downtown every day and hitting the Starbucks on the way to the office, can I elbow all of the tourists and students in the line out of the way?

After all, my time is more valuable — no?

That captain had the same attitude as the guy who cut off Dar and didn’t get out of the way.

My time is valuable and yours is dogshit. Its way too common an attitude and I quickly cut off associating with such people.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:03 pm

By this logic, If I am working downtown every day and hitting the Starbucks on the way to the office, can I elbow all of the tourists and students in the line out of the way?

That captain had the same attitude as the guy who cut off Dar and didn’t get out of the way.

My time is valuable and yours is dogshit. Its way too common an attitude and I quickly cut off associating with such people.
I do believe different people's time can be more or less valuable than others. But I don't think that is a valid excuse to avoid common nuisances (such as waiting in line).

Hourly rate might also not be the best metric to determine value of time, but it is 'a' metric.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:17 pm

I do believe different people's time can be more or less valuable than others. But I don't think that is a valid excuse to avoid common nuisances (such as waiting in line).

Hourly rate might also not be the best metric to determine value of time, but it is 'a' metric.
My worth per hour, were I to choose to sell it, would be multiples of any Captain’s.

FWIW.

And that fact gives me zero right to elbow others out of the way, cause I don’t wish to wait in a line.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:22 pm
My worth per hour, were I to choose to sell it, would be multiples of any Captain’s.

FWIW.
In a capitalist society that doesn't mean much. What is important is how much you are actually able to sell your time for.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:25 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:22 pm

FWIW.
In a capitalist society that doesn't mean much. What is important is how much you are actually able to sell your time for.
Ouch :lol:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you are actually at work at Starbucks, and you want a coffee, then sure, of course you get the courtesy of getting served by a barrista without having to queue.

People who work in air transport are at work when they are at an airport in uniform. You are not. Courtesy is to let people at work go about that work as efficiently as possible. Perhaps that's lost on you.
Captain’s time is worth more than anyone else’s. And the FO’s. And the flight crew. And the gate agent’s.
When they're in uniform at an airport they're all at work and they all get to go in front of you. Sorry.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:06 pm My favourite recent story is returning to Canada and a captain in uniform cuts in front of me at the Nexus line.
The irony is how everyone else in the line looks at you getting to the front of the line with your Nexus card. There is a totem pole and it's flight crew, Nexus, then everyone else. How you feel towards the flight crew is how everyone below you on the totem pole feels towards you. Not passing judgement, just pointing out the irony.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

When pilots have to pass through the regular security lines with passengers, the best way to do this would just have security call them forward to the front. This way it appears that you are not cutting in line, it was the security protocol to bring you to the front.

Pilots should not have to work their way to the front and feel like they have to explain themselves. Some pilots are going through security three times a day if they switch between trans border and domestic flights.
Bede wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:37 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:06 pm My favourite recent story is returning to Canada and a captain in uniform cuts in front of me at the Nexus line.
The irony is how everyone else in the line looks at you getting to the front of the line with your Nexus card. There is a totem pole and it's flight crew, Nexus, then everyone else. How you feel towards the flight crew is how everyone below you on the totem pole feels towards you. Not passing judgement, just pointing out the irony.
Canadians love when things feel equal. :lol: "I don't care if the line is 3 hours, as long as everyone else waits 3 hours with me!"

Last edited by WellThatAgedWell on Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.

Return to “General Comments”