Jazz pilot schedule?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz pilot schedule?

Post by lidi »

Hello aviators

What is a typical pilot schedule at Jazz look like?
How many days are you on duty? I hear you can be on the road longer or if you want be home most nights.

Thanks again for your assistance
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Jazz pilot schedule?

Post by flyingcanuck »

lidi wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 pm Hello aviators

What is a typical pilot schedule at Jazz look like?
How many days are you on duty? I hear you can be on the road longer or if you want be home most nights.

Thanks again for your assistance
min12 days off a month. Junior reserve lately has been busy, if you have some seniority you can maybe get 13-14 days off. Single and two day pairings typically go fairly senior so expect to be gone alot. The only guys that get alot of time at home do training in the sim really.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Standups and reserve initially and weekend crappy multi day pairings for Junior captains.

schedule efficiency hasn't returned yet and as such Most are averaging 17 days a month worked (block holders). Not sure what reserve is like these days, it's been a while.

I sit somewhere in the top 1/3 of the CA list and still don't get to pick and choose too much. Mostly multi day pairings. I bid for 4 days and get some 3 days, mostly weekends, although I prefer them!

It does vary though.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

how long until i could get one day pairing in calgary as a captain?

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Probably 25 years. Not joking.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

25?? whats your source on that? Just curious how you got to that number

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

pitottubey wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:14 pm how long until i could get one day pairing in calgary as a captain?
My ignorance but what does one day pairing consist of in terms of being “on the job?”

Thanks in advance

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

pitottubey wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:14 pm how long until i could get one day pairing in calgary as a captain?
YYC is a shrinking base with the most senior junior CA. It is the longest wait base to hold left seat and obviously the longest for a junior CA to hold the schedule they desire.

One day pairings are limited on most rosters. Pairing quality and pairing mix change monthly. There is no crystal ball that can reliably predict pairings that will be available in the future.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:21 am
YYC is a shrinking base with the most senior junior CA. It is the longest wait base to hold left seat and obviously the longest for a junior CA to hold the schedule they desire.

One day pairings are limited on most rosters. Pairing quality and pairing mix change monthly. There is no crystal ball that can reliably predict pairings that will be available in the future.
Yes everything you're saying makes sense and I've heard it from others too. However from my understanding once asian travel resumes there could be a dramatic increase in Calgary based travel, with it going from a shrinking base to a growing one. I could see Calgary booming with aviation from asian travellers in the future.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:41 am

Yes everything you're saying makes sense and I've heard it from others too. However from my understanding once asian travel resumes there could be a dramatic increase in Calgary based travel, with it going from a shrinking base to a growing one. I could see Calgary booming with aviation from asian travellers in the future.
YYC currently does quite a bit of out-of-base flying. Any change in the AB economy or Asian travel (FYI - those AC flights are from YVR not YYC) will not trigger a staffing increase in YYC.

The fate of the YYC crew base has always been tenuous. One thing that can be reliably predicted is that it will not be growing.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:54 am

YYC currently does quite a bit of out-of-base flying. Any change in the AB economy or Asian travel (FYI - those AC flights are from YVR not YYC) will not trigger a staffing increase in YYC.

The fate of the YYC crew base has always been tenuous. One thing that can be reliably predicted is that it will not be growing.

Would there be better career options for one who wants to be based out of Calgary then? Would WJ be a better way to go? Also do they have senority schedule bidding?

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Would it be easier to hold the Q in YYC, than the CRJ?

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

final28 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:25 am Would it be easier to hold the Q in YYC, than the CRJ?
Yes

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:15 am

Would there be better career options for one who wants to be based out of Calgary then? Would WJ be a better way to go? Also do they have senority schedule bidding?
YYC is the smallest base in the Jazz system. It is projected to remain so (and shrink) in the latest bid.

If you want a decades long career based in YYC, you would be wise to look elsewhere.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:19 am

YYC is the smallest base in the Jazz system. It is projected to remain so (and shrink) in the latest bid.

If you want a decades long career based in YYC, you would be wise to look elsewhere.
and where would be better then?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:50 am

Honestly, in Calgary, that’s gonna be Encore. You can even upgrade as soon as you have 500 hrs on the Q400, 2000 TT and the ATPL.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:35 pm

Honestly, in Calgary, that’s gonna be Encore. You can even upgrade as soon as you have 500 hrs on the Q400, 2000 TT and the ATPL.
Ive heard encore is a dead end and just to go straight to Westjet Mainline, would you agree?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

pitottubey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:35 am
kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:35 pm

Ive heard encore is a dead end and just to go straight to Westjet Mainline, would you agree?
Mainline won’t get you the YYC base for another 10 years.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

It's a stretch to say "reliably predicted that it won't be growing". That's crystal ball talk :p

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:06 am

It's a stretch to say "reliably predicted that it won't be growing". That's crystal ball talk :p
Saying that airlines would be laying off pilots in a few weeks would have been crazy talk in February 2020.

Saying that all airlines would recall all their pilots by the end of 2021 would also have been crazy talk in January 2021.

If I learned one thing in the last 2.5 years, is that a month is an eternity and that anything can happen in that time.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”