Jets at YTZ

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jets at YTZ

Post by photofly »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 am I always felt that the CSeries runway extension was simply a "political" ploy to justify a runway extension without an plans to actually purchase any. It would however have nicely expanded the route structure for the 400 operation. If Porter had truly wanted to be the launch customer for the CSeries they could have been based in CYOW or CYHZ at the time.
It wasn't important to be the *launch* customer at all. Second customer, third, fifth, fifteenth - why would that matter to Porter? What was important was to operate the C-series from their base.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 am I always felt that the CSeries runway extension was simply a "political" ploy to justify a runway extension without an plans to actually purchase any. It would however have nicely expanded the route structure for the 400 operation. If Porter had truly wanted to be the launch customer for the CSeries they could have been based in CYOW or CYHZ at the time.
It wasn't important to be the *launch* customer at all. Second customer, third, fifth, fifteenth - why would that matter to Porter? What was important was to operate the C-series from their base.
So I take it that's no longer "important" given their change of aircraft type. The CSeries are still readily available for purchase however they been very public about being the Canadian "launch" customer for the E2 and setting up shop in CYYZ.

Last edited by Loon-A-Tic on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

But they didn't want to open up shop in CYYZ. They wanted to fly the C series from CYTZ.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:45 am But they didn't want to open up shop in CYYZ. They wanted to fly the C series from CYTZ.
So the E2 and CYYZ are a "second" fiddle move, hmmmm.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

With the benefit of hindsight I truly believe the C-Series purchase was never intended to actually happen at Porter. There were far too many things that had to go their way for jets to start arriving, certainly more than any shrewd business person would take a risk on. Instead it was a ton of publicity for the airline for several years and valuable early production slots to sell if and when approval didn’t come through.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:51 am
photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:45 am But they didn't want to open up shop in CYYZ. They wanted to fly the C series from CYTZ.
Sure. Ten years later, they made other plans. Wouldn't you? I'm just not seeing evidence of the conspiracy you believe in.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:05 am
Sure. Ten years later, they made other plans. Wouldn't you? I'm just not seeing evidence of the conspiracy you believe in.
No conspiracy, just an opinion on "strategy" that I find a bit intriguing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:14 am
photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:05 am

No conspiracy, just an opinion on "strategy" that I find a bit intriguing.
Fair enough - I don't want to get hung up on labels. But I don't see evidence for this:
the CSeries runway extension was simply a "political" ploy to justify a runway extension without an plans to actually purchase any.
I think they had plans to purchase and operate the jets.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:41 am
photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 am
So I take it that's no longer "important" given their change of aircraft type. The CSeries are still readily available for purchase however they been very public about being the Canadian "launch" customer for the E2 and setting up shop in CYYZ.
The Pandemic has killed off a lot of the business travel that made up a good chunk of Porter's revenue pre-covid. Now they're off searching to make up that revenue by reaching into other leisure markets.

CSeries/A220 now has a padded order book, hard to say when Porter would have been able to take deliveries with all the Air Canada and Delta firm orders. Meanwhile the E2 isn't really selling that great. I'm sure Porter got each tail at a significant discount - just to keep the production line going - and appears to be able to begin taking deliveries at a much quicker rate once TC certifies the type. "been very public"....so in other words: marketing?

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Pierre Poilievre has my vote!

Keep the dirty side down.
nomat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nomat »

They are allegedly building a hangar in YOW. It might start at YYZ in a leased Transat hangar but lots of signs pointing to a YOW focused operation. 2 jets a month being delivered starting very soon.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

What ever happened to Pickering airport? Would make more sense, and more likely to get the go ahead.

Timetoflyagain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Timetoflyagain »

330heavy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:07 pm What ever happened to Pickering airport? Would make more sense, and more likely to get the go ahead.
…with this anti carbon, anti economy government..not a chance. Oil= bad, gas= bad, airplanes = bad and anything to with any of them =bad, such as airports, passports, visitor visas, arrivecan app, cbsa and Catsa staffing levels, medical renewals, type rating stickers, ATPL validations,…basically anything TC does….under our wonderful minister of don’t transport.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Timetoflyagain wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:56 pm
330heavy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:07 pm What ever happened to Pickering airport? Would make more sense, and more likely to get the go ahead.
…with this anti carbon, anti economy government..not a chance. Oil= bad, gas= bad, airplanes = bad and anything to with any of them =bad, such as airports, passports, visitor visas, arrivecan app, cbsa and Catsa staffing levels, medical renewals, type rating stickers, ATPL validations,…basically anything TC does….under our wonderful minister of don’t transport.
ya ya ya, we get it; Trudeau bad! Party that can't even pick a leader good.

Timetoflyagain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Timetoflyagain »

braaap Braap wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:01 pm
Timetoflyagain wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:56 pm
ya ya ya, we get it; Trudeau bad!
…exactly…we all know what we got with Trudeau and his band of incompetents…oh ya, forgot about how he first killed Porter’s CSeries order and later defended Bombardier so well against Trump that they had to sellout to Airbus for nothing, and how’s that “investment” in AirCanada doing as well?

..as for picking a party leader..yup, been messy for sure, but seem to finally have a strong prospect…better than another day of the red party.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 am
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:12 pm The exclusion zone wouldn't be extended. Are the current gates big enough for the e jets? Perhaps porter can shed some Q flights since the e2 will fit way more people anyways
There aren't any commercially viable jets that can land on a 3990' runway. Comparably, EGLC was extended from 3,543' to 4,948' to allow the A220 and A319 to land there. At CYTZ even the Q400's have to run light. For the kind of jets that will get PP extra votes extending the runway is a prerequisite. Transport Canada will therefore require the MEZs to be enlarged, for safety. It's not an option.
The runway would be extended but not the marine exclusion zone. I 200% trust the report vs anyone here

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

newlygrounded wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:06 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:12 pm The exclusion zone wouldn't be extended. Are the current gates big enough for the e jets? Perhaps porter can shed some Q flights since the e2 will fit way more people anyways
There aren't any commercially viable jets that can land on a 3990' runway. Comparably, EGLC was extended from 3,543' to 4,948' to allow the A220 and A319 to land there. At CYTZ even the Q400's have to run light. For the kind of jets that will get PP extra votes extending the runway is a prerequisite. Transport Canada will therefore require the MEZs to be enlarged, for safety. It's not an option.
The runway would be extended but not the marine exclusion zone. I 200% trust the report vs anyone here
That's been the plan for years, yet the average person and media don't have a proper understanding of what any of that means.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goingmissed wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:48 pm
That's been the plan for years, yet the average person and media don't have a proper understanding of what any of that means.
It's correct that Porter's advertised plan for the C Series in 2013 was not to extend the MEZ, and they were very keen to say so. Whether TC would go along with that even back then was never established.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

photofly wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:39 am
goingmissed wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:48 pm

It's correct that Porter's advertised plan for the C Series in 2013 was not to extend the MEZ, and they were very keen to say so. Whether TC would go along with that even back then was never established.
I believe this is from the cities report. Doubt they’d publish that if it wasn’t doable

Return to “Porter Airlines”