Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

Post by Crossthreaded »

Does anyone work for Voyageur Airways in hamilton? I thought they were just in North Bay Ontario? Saw this ad on indeed, see link below.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps ... 9e3f3bd30a

Voyageur Airways LimitedHamilton, ON
Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON
Job
Company
Job details

Salary
$21.54–$24.24 an hour
Job type
Full-time
Permanent
Benefits
Pulled from the full job description

Disability insurance
Extended health care
Full Job Description

At Voyageur Aviation Corp., we deliver innovative solutions to customers with unique aviation requirements. We are an integrated provider of specialized aviation services, including, advanced engineering and maintenance capabilities, part sales and logistics management, aircraft leasing, and contract flying operations both internationally and domestically supporting humanitarian missions, cargo and workforce movements to remote communities. Our headquarters are in North Bay, Ontario, and we are a wholly owned subsidiary of Chorus Aviation Inc.

As a key member of the Line Maintenance team, the Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) will report to the Manager, Line Maintenance, and will be responsible for performing maintenance on company aircraft in a safe and efficient manner.

What does an AME do?

Carry out and coordinate the inspection, maintenance, and repair of company aircraft and related aircraft systems.
Perform troubleshooting on aircraft.
Conduct certification of work, recording of discrepancies and completion of aircraft paperwork in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
Perform and document scheduled and unscheduled maintenance as dictated by the manufacturer, per Voyageur’s policy and Transport Canada.
Ensure that all maintenance operations are conducted in accordance with applicable legislation, company policies and procedures.
Perform duties in accordance with established policies and procedures while giving primary consideration to personal safety, and the safety of co-workers and customers.
What you bring to the table

3 years of experience as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Valid AME licence (Category M1 and/or M2).
College diploma in Aircraft Maintenance from a Transport Canada approved educational institution.
Candidates with DH8 experience will be given preference.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to identify solutions.
Complete tasks accurately and efficiently with high attention to detail.
Capable of working under pressure with tight deadlines.
Ability to work a flexible schedule.
What we offer

A wage of $21.54 to 24.24/hour, negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
A comprehensive benefits program, including extended health care benefits, out-of-country insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement pension plan, employee and family assistance plan, and Employee Share Ownership Plan (TSX: CHR).
Eligibility
You must be legally eligible to work for a Canadian company (e.g., be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or possess a valid work permit), provide a clear Criminal Background Check, and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.

To apply
Voyageur is an employment equity employer, and we welcome all qualified candidates to apply. If you are excited by this opportunity and want to be a part of the Voyageur Team, we encourage all eligible candidates to apply on our website at www.voyav.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

Job Types: Full-time, Permanent

Schedule:

8 hour shift
Hiring Insights

Hiring 1 candidate for this role

Job activity

Posted 6 days ago
---------- ADS -----------

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

Post by Dronepiper »

$21/hr to be a licensed AME?!?! I $&@?ing hate this country.

You could literally make more money doing literally anything else. An “entry level” job in construction, mining, or oil/gas pays more than that.

If you actually wanted to still be a mechanic, just be a mine heavy duty equipment mechanic and you would be looking at like well over 100k/yr within a few years after graduation. You then have the opportunity to make up to 160k or more with a mine/contractors bonus structure. Not to mention most places offer OT at double your rate and it’s normally plentiful.

What’s so great about being an airplane mechanic?????!!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Voyageur Airways Limited - Hamilton, ON; $21.54–$24.24 an hour

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Dronepiper wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:14 pm $21/hr to be a licensed AME?!?! I $&@?ing hate this country.

You could literally make more money doing literally anything else. An “entry level” job in construction, mining, or oil/gas pays more than that.

If you actually wanted to still be a mechanic, just be a mine heavy duty equipment mechanic and you would be looking at like well over 100k/yr within a few years after graduation. You then have the opportunity to make up to 160k or more with a mine/contractors bonus structure. Not to mention most places offer OT at double your rate and it’s normally plentiful.

And they will still fill the role, always do.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Dronepiper wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:14 pm $21/hr to be a licensed AME?!?! I $&@?ing hate this country.

First year apprentice for anything transportation related make more. I do think the role will be filled though sadly

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Voyageur is owned by Chorus who owns Jazz who is known for their low pay.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pacqing wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:42 pm Voyageur is owned by Chorus who owns Jazz who is known for their low pay.
Don’t know, just know that pay is not only insulting, but damaging to the industry in Canada. Agreed with the low pay for all cited above.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Too funny. I did not even want the job but did an interview for fun with them years ago for overseas contract. All the loveliest places in the world at the lowest rates. Asked why wages were so abusive. Interview ended. They didn’t care. Lots of dumb dumbs standing at their doorstep in that part of the world.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Not sure what you mean by " Don't know?" Max sold to Chorus a while ago. I'm curious as to the Hamilton location. Does Jazz have a maintenance base there? If so can you see where this might be going?

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Pacqing wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:44 am Not sure what you mean by " Don't know?" Max sold to Chorus a while ago. I'm curious as to the Hamilton location. Does Jazz have a maintenance base there? If so can you see where this might be going?
I’m curious about hamilton too, the wage is prohibitive for me personally, I read the above comments, I’m wondering if jazz is owned by chorus if they’re working together on maintenance?

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

-42 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:28 am Too funny. I did not even want the job but did an interview for fun with them years ago for overseas contract. All the loveliest places in the world at the lowest rates. Asked why wages were so abusive. Interview ended. They didn’t care. Lots of dumb dumbs standing at their doorstep in that part of the world.
From what I understand, Voyageur is supposed to be an experience gaining employment for lower time guys. Guaranteed endorsements, and like you said overseas work, but it comes at a price, the extremely low wages.

MD-2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MD-2 »

I believe they got a Purolator contract for one of their cargo DHC-8-100's.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I noticed after following the link for Voyageur that VIH is following hiring for a 61 guy…. $45,476 / year ($21.86/hour) as a field AME on a heavy. What the hell is going on in Canada?!?!? Is this some glitch on indeed? Did they forget the 1 in front of the 45,476?

S61 Field Maintenance Engineer
VIH HELICOPTERS LTD
location1962 CANSO RD
Job details

Salary
From $45,476 a year
Job type
Full-time
Permanent
Benefits
Pulled from the full job description

Casual dress
Dental care
Extended health care
RRSP match
Vision care
Full Job Description

Engineers are responsible to the Director of Maintenance and Chief Engineer to ensure all maintenance activities are performed in accordance with the MPM, the Air Operator’s MCM, the Air Operator’s Approved Maintenance Schedules and Transport Canada requirements. They are also responsible to the Quality Assurance Manager for adherence to the Quality Assurance Program. Field maintenance engineers assist with all administrative, maintenance and servicing activities for aircraft assigned to and/or requiring maintenance. They assist with onsite daily A/C maintenance planning, coordination of and ordering of parts and supplies. Field Maintenance engineers are responsible for A/C fuel quality control and managing fuel requirements on the jobsite. They also ensure the serviceability and availability of required operational equipment on site.

Field Maintenance engineers Duties also include but are not limited to the following:

Assist with the maintenance and repair of aircraft and aeronautical products assigned to field operational sites.
Guides and supports development of assigned maintenance personnel.
Recommend qualified personnel for issuance of company certification authority.
Perform the maintenance, repair, modification, overhaul and alteration of aircraft and aeronautical products within the approved scope of work.
Ensure the required records for completed and not completed work is entered accurately into aircraft’s maintenance records.
Identifies defects and corrective action and reports potential service difficulty reports for aeronautical products.
Ensure ground support/operational equipment is properly maintained and maintenance facilities are clean and safe.
· Ensure tools and equipment requiring calibration are current prior to use.

Suggest methods of monitoring and improving productivity, policies and procedures.
· Assist with the ordering of parts and supplies for A/C, ground or operational equipment and the maintenance facility.

· Assist with control and managing of A/C fuel quality, storage and delivery systems IAW VIHH SHP.

Minimum Qualification Requirements:

· Holder of TC Aircraft Maintenance Engineer M2 license.

· Class 5 drivers license, clean drivers abstract.

Considered an asset:

· Sikorsky S-61/ CT58 field maintenance type course endorsement.

· Previous ACA for S-61.

· Field engineer experience on logging operations.

* Pay dependent on experience.

* Employee or contract position.

* 2 week on/ 2 week off rotation.

* Meals and accommodation provided for out of town workers and at remote jobsites.

Job Types: Full-time, Permanent

Salary: From $45,476.00 per year

Benefits:

Casual dress
Dental care
Extended health care
RRSP match
Vision care
Schedule:

Weekend availability
COVID-19 considerations:
Vaccination Policy in place

Ability to commute/relocate:

North Saanich, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Experience:

aircraft maintenance: 1 year (required)
Expected start date: 2022-05-02

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

First year licensed I made over 40 per hour. Just saying. Abusive wages are what they are but like I said idiots will always be out there. Hot diggity you mean I get to work for less AND be away from home. Yeah no gracias.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm First year licensed I made over 40 per hour. Just saying. Abusive wages are what they are but like I said idiots will always be out there. Hot diggity you mean I get to work for less AND be away from home. Yeah no gracias.
I can’t understand the lack of morals of these operators. The industry truly is in a downward spiral and I don’t think it’s even close to hitting bottom yet

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:03 pm
-42 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm First year licensed I made over 40 per hour. Just saying. Abusive wages are what they are but like I said idiots will always be out there. Hot diggity you mean I get to work for less AND be away from home. Yeah no gracias.
I can’t understand the lack of morals of these operators. The industry truly is in a downward spiral and I don’t think it’s even close to hitting bottom yet
Unfortunately, no other industry suffers from an abundance of mouthfoamers like aviation does.

There will always be the aerosexuals that will almost pay to be allowed to fondle magnificent flying machines, and most aviation operators still base their business plans accordingly.

You know why Voyaguer pays so shit? Because there's always pinheads who bite.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 pm
Unfortunately, no other industry suffers from an abundance of mouthfoamers like aviation does.

There will always be the aerosexuals that will almost pay to be allowed to fondle magnificent flying machines, and most aviation operators still base their business plans accordingly.

I’m well aware, and those are the types that usually have nothing to offer but a license number

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

The 61 ad from VIH is not accurate. Crew chief, ACA( endorsed) on the 61 is more like 120-210k yr. Dependent on how many hours you fly. I know many guys in the 160-180k range. Working 2 on 2 off. Not a horrible existence. They run nice machines, and have some good guys there.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:12 am
Pat Richard wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 pm

I’m well aware, and those are the types that usually have nothing to offer but a license number
Yep, they are the types who consider sleeping in their vehicles an acceptable condition of employment. I cant think of a single other industry, except perhaps construction, where this is done.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 am The 61 ad from VIH is not accurate. Crew chief, ACA( endorsed) on the 61 is more like 120-210k yr. Dependent on how many hours you fly. I know many guys in the 160-180k range. Working 2 on 2 off. Not a horrible existence. They run nice machines, and have some good guys there.
It has to be a screwup and a minimum wage of an apprentice from HR I think. I agree I know a few guys on the 61 there they don’t work for nothing. Your numbers would be including flight pay of course. VIH aren’t the highest paying out there, but take care of their guys I think.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

That HAS to be an Apprentice wage... I made $21/hr immediately after graduating from AME School back in 2015.

Licensed guys where I'm at start at $30/hr, which isn't good but it sure as heck is better than $24.24 an hour. lol

Return to “Maintenance”