Looking for advice

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Afterburner47
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for advice

Post by Afterburner47 »

I recently learned that I did not make the cut for ATC on the FEAST exam with Nav Canada which was a huge bummer to say the least. I know where I went wrong looking back on the assessment, but I can't change where I messed up. I understand the FEAST is a tool to evaluate candidates but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.

Moving forward I do want to continue to pursue this career path but I have a couple questions hoping one of you can answer.

I know you can reapply after the waiting period but does Nav Canada consider applicants for ATC going through a second time, assuming you do well on the FEAST? Do they even care or check to see if its your second attempt? And if so, do you know of any controllers that made it through after failing the first time?

At what point does age start to be a hiring factor? Not sure what the average or preferred age would be for an ATC trainee. For example, would someone in their early or mid 30s be considered too old to enter training?

I appreciate any feedback
---------- ADS -----------

elk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Looking for advice

Post by elk1 »

Last edited by elk1 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

If you knew the amount of qualified controllers that went through the selection process two, three or more times you’d be shocked.

Do not let the fact that you didn’t make it though stop you from trying again. No one in the company would look down on you for re-applying, in fact, I’d say it speaks to your motivation and ability to learn from your mistakes.

airraptor2023
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airraptor2023 »

Afterburner47 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:59 pm I recently learned that I did not make the cut for ATC on the FEAST exam with Nav Canada which was a huge bummer to say the least. I know where I went wrong looking back on the assessment, but I can't change where I messed up. I understand the FEAST is a tool to evaluate candidates but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.

Moving forward I do want to continue to pursue this career path but I have a couple questions hoping one of you can answer.

I know you can reapply after the waiting period but does Nav Canada consider applicants for ATC going through a second time, assuming you do well on the FEAST? Do they even care or check to see if its your second attempt? And if so, do you know of any controllers that made it through after failing the first time?

At what point does age start to be a hiring factor? Not sure what the average or preferred age would be for an ATC trainee. For example, would someone in their early or mid 30s be considered too old to enter training?

I appreciate any feedback
I failed my first time around, went back and passed my second time. I can't speak to much beyond that as I'm still in the midst of the applicant process.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Afterburner47 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Certainly not too old. I qualified at my first unit at age 37.

Afterburner47
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Afterburner47 »

elk1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am Just curious, where do you think you went wrong?
As much as I would like to answer this I wouldn't be able to without breaking the NDA. Sorry about that!

mckinley007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mckinley007 »

Afterburner47 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:52 pm
elk1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am Just curious, where do you think you went wrong?
As much as I would like to answer this I wouldn't be able to without breaking the NDA. Sorry about that!
Well if NAV sees this surely it will bode well! :lol:

To provide some insight to your question - I applied to NAV three years in a row before being accepted past the initial assessment. Third year I made it and I got sent to a VFR tower right out of basic and didn't pass. I was offered a second chance at another VFR tower within the region and qualified. This process is not a cakewalk, and the hardest work is always the training. Resiliency will be noted and will provide you with favourable opportunities. Be tenacious and surely someone somewhere will see it. That's what worked for me when I was on the chopping block at my first tower!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”