Blending Jazz and AC. It's time.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Blending Jazz and AC. It's time.

Post by Malfunction »

Any truth to a alpa and acpa in partnership to help with lack of crews? Maybe a flow program 🤔 no more interviews?
---------- ADS -----------

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Blending Jazz and AC. It's time.

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Why is the lack of crews a union problem? It's a company problem.

Pay pilots more, and you will have more resumes on the desk.

The costs to Learn to fly are increasing, and wages are stagnant. Why the hell would anyone invest in this career? You have a government actively trying to reduce our industry. You have aircraft manufacturers and airlines working towards reducing pilots with technology. I'd say, don't invest in airlines, let them invest in you if they need you.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Get rid of the flat pay, the vaccine requirement and give 15 GDOs per month and you might be amazed at the pile of resume of 6000+ hours 705 capt, jet experience, etc.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:38 pm Get rid of the flat pay, the vaccine requirement and give 15 GDOs per month and you might be amazed at the pile of resume of 6000+ hours 705 capt, jet experience, etc.
Eliminate Flat pay? 100%. Nobody else in North America does that. 4 years? Are you kidding? WB FO under $100k? Go to US pay model - first year salary then type specific hourly (sorry day/night/nav/overseas fans).

Vaccine? I think your beef is with the libs.

15 GDO’s per month? That means 15 days worked per month for everybody - senior and junior. This experiment has already happened on the NB fleet.

The AC application drawer is full. However, a path to a decent T4 by year 2 (non-upgrade) would go a long way towards stimulating higher experience applicants.

The AC CBA is long overdue for an overhaul into the 21st century. Might take new players to make that happen.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:58 pm Any truth to a alpa and acpa in partnership to help with lack of crews? Maybe a flow program 🤔 no more interviews?
Keep dreaming.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:58 pm Any truth to a alpa and acpa in partnership to help with lack of crews? Maybe a flow program 🤔 no more interviews?
I could see an outcome in the future where AC buys Jazz from CHR. CHR would then derive revenue from AC solely through aircraft lease agreements to both Jazz and perhaps mainline.

However, this would not be the first time that AC owned its Express operation and it has not previously resulted in integration. I doubt that would be the case now even if AC acquired Jazz.

What might develop is akin to the former AC relationship with SKV - AC provides a greater level of operational services thereby eliminating Jazz infrastructure and presumably reducing overhead costs at the Express level.

As for ACPA/ALPA - it is a soap opera that is now decades old. There is always hope that the parties will begin a meaningful dialogue, but hope is not a plan.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

Malfunction….No.
In the short to medium term things are actually headed in the other direction. And until Jazz can crew itself to the point where it isn’t cancelling 30-50 flights a day, I don’t see it changing….but I am not making those calls.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

rudder wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:28 am
daedalusx wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:38 pm Get rid of the flat pay, the vaccine requirement and give 15 GDOs per month and you might be amazed at the pile of resume of 6000+ hours 705 capt, jet experience, etc.
Eliminate Flat pay? 100%. Nobody else in North America does that. 4 years? Are you kidding? WB FO under $100k? Go to US pay model - first year salary then type specific hourly (sorry day/night/nav/overseas fans).

15 GDO’s per month? That means 15 days worked per month for everybody - senior and junior. This experiment has already happened on the NB fleet.

The AC application drawer is full. However, a path to a decent T4 by year 2 (non-upgrade) would go a long way towards stimulating higher experience applicants.

The AC CBA is long overdue for an overhaul into the 21st century. Might take new players to make that happen.
1) There's no more federal vax mandates and AC hasn't recalled their non-vaxxed pilots with a LOU, so why make it a condition of hiring?
2) GDO - Yeah I meant for WB. It's disgusting the schedule of a junior A330 RP or WB FO on top of the McDonald's level flat pay. There should be a a min GDO for WB similar to NB
3) Agreed that it might take new players in the game to move things forward. Canadian pilots somehow have never really realized their true leverage compared to their Southern brothers and sisters.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

sportingrifle wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:54 am Malfunction….No.
In the short to medium term things are actually headed in the other direction. And until Jazz can crew itself to the point where it isn’t cancelling 30-50 flights a day, I don’t see it changing….but I am not making those calls.
FYI - not all of the Jazz flight cancellations are pilot related. Some are pre-programmed from AC Commercial. And some are lack of FA’s. Some are MTC. Some are ATC. Some are WXX. But likely some are Pilot related as well.

When things are running 1-4 hours behind each day, it inevitably creates massive issues for crewing. No different at mainline. It is AC that is responsible for ground support and sales staff for both mainline and Express. However, AC ultimately decides where to allocate finite resources.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

rudder wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:28 am

Even getting rid of the flat aspect of Air Canada's pay won't help as much as you think.

I work with around 200 people with over 10,000 hours total time and tons of good jet PIC time. Not a single one of us would go to AC as long as the starting pay is in the 50's. Even if it was $50k, $60k, $70k and $80k for the first four years, that isn't an incentive for anyone I know. I have no problem going back to being an FO for a couple of years, but I won't do it for less than my plumber makes.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Arnie Pye wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:58 am
Even getting rid of the flat aspect of Air Canada's pay won't help as much as you think.

I work with around 200 people with over 10,000 hours total time and tons of good jet PIC time. Not a single one of us would go to AC as long as the starting pay is in the 50's. Even if it was $50k, $60k, $70k and $80k for the first four years, that isn't an incentive for anyone I know. I have no problem going back to being an FO for a couple of years, but I won't do it for less than my plumber makes.
US top 6 carriers year 1 = approx US$90k. 2nd year NB FO = US140-150k.

Will AC reach these numbers? Probably not. But C80k+ then formula pay would get year 2/3/4 FO comfortably in to 6 figures, particularly if you hold WB FO.

In any case, ACPA has never typically focused on the ‘newbie’ side of the ledger. Will have to see if it appears on the radar screen for Contract 2024.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Yea AC and Jazz have been pretty quiet about the crewing issues. From my understanding Jazz is having issues filling up the most recent groundschools as well. I would not be surprised if AC and Jazz decide to freeze the flow in the coming months until Jazz can hire enough captain eligible pilots to maintain adequate staffing levels to avoid the numerous cancellations. Jazz simply can’t afford to let go of the huge number of captains that are promised a spot at AC right now. In the meantime AC could continue to hire ots and promise to resume the 60% flow next year. Implementing something like the pilot mobility list would likely prevent a mass exodus from Jazz if they decided to go that route

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ted_stryker »

fixnfly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:25 pm
Yea AC and Jazz have been pretty quiet about the crewing issues. From my understanding Jazz is having issues filling up the most recent groundschools as well. I would not be surprised if AC and Jazz decide to freeze the flow in the coming months until Jazz can hire enough captain eligible pilots to maintain adequate staffing levels to avoid the numerous cancellations. Jazz simply can’t afford to let go of the huge number of captains that are promised a spot at AC right now. In the meantime AC could continue to hire ots and promise to resume the 60% flow next year. Implementing something like the pilot mobility list would likely prevent a mass exodus from Jazz if they decided to go that route
If AC stops the flow without some reserved seniority like PML 1, im sure there will be a mass exodus from Jazz. I know I'll be gone.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Vomit in my mouth before that happens.

Jazz is so desperate, they are hiring anyone with a pulse. Rampant fraud in their recent hires and a few in the flow through from what I hear.

TC should really get on the horn and investigate. For the unsuspecting travelling public.

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:58 am

As1) There's no more federal vax mandates and AC hasn't recalled their non-vaxxed pilots with a LOU, so why make it a condition of hiring?
🤦‍♂️

It’s a big world. AC flies to other countries. Some of these countries require vaccination to enter.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

fixnfly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:25 pm
Maybe there’s also a problem on the hiring process… questions to answer then interview, then Thomas assessment or equivalent, then simeval, then MMPI, then reference checks and drug test… things could be a bit lighter or even processed in a different order. That’s crazy to have people starting a process in Feb then being awarded a GS in June, even though those people have a pan ATPL and 705 time.
WestJet is doing the whole process in less than a month, same for Flair.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm
Maybe there’s also a problem on the hiring process… questions to answer then interview, then Thomas assessment or equivalent, then simeval, then MMPI, then reference checks and drug test… things could be a bit lighter or even processed in a different order. That’s crazy to have people starting a process in Feb then being awarded a GS in June, even though those people have a pan ATPL and 705 time.
WestJet is doing the whole process in less than a month, same for Flair.
90% of the Jazz hires are de facto AC hires (yes I know - more complicated than that). Also flying AC customers. So these steps are necessary.

But it could be streamlined.

Last edited by rudder on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:14 pm
Vomit in my mouth before that happens.

Jazz is so desperate, they are hiring anyone with a pulse. Rampant fraud in their recent hires and a few in the flow through from what I hear.

TC should really get on the horn and investigate. For the unsuspecting travelling public.
Do you have any facts that you would care to share? Or is this just rumour and innuendo?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fixnfly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:25 pmImplementing something like the pilot mobility list would likely prevent a mass exodus from Jazz if they decided to go that route
Bingo.

Freshredmeat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Freshredmeat »

Explaining to my girlfriend the pay cut I had to take to go to AC was an interesting conversation

What does United pay their new hires?

Return to “Air Canada”