Best family life jobs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Best family life jobs

Post by pitottubey »

Hi all! I currently am 26 yo, 1300 TT with 250 multi for background, living in Missisauga. I’m realizing I want to avoid spending 10 nights a month away from my family and working lots of weekends. I was wondering what jobs in aviation would be the best for family life, as QOL is my top priority. I was leaning towards a career in the regionals, probably jazz, maybe in the sim training department so I’m home more. Maybe working for CAE, management, or even at an aviation college as an instructor. But I’m open to other ideas and wanted to get peoples opinions! How can I get that good family life before I’m 40 yo, what’s the outlook like, or is that even realistic at all. Thanks all for your input

PS another fear I have going the regional career route is less career stability and losing my seniority number that I have and going back to square one
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Best family life jobs

Post by flying4dollars »

Flair offers bases in YKF and YYZ (I know you mentioned Mississauga) if you want to fly. You wont fly more than about 16-18 days a month and most of the flying is day turns so you're home every night unless you're doing the YVR red eyes. There's also a need for ground/sim instructors so you can have a mix of sim training and flying if you wanted. There is going to be a fair bit of hiring over the next 2 years so getting in now will do wonders for your seniority.

Otherwise you could as you mentioned be a full time CAE/Flight Safety sim instructor or maybe try something in Transport Canada.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Instructing would give you the best quality of life, but likely less money than the other available options.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bueno74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bueno74 »

Morningstar in YYZ offers Monday to Friday FedEx cargo flying on the Caravan, and it sounds like QOL is decent on the 757 as well.
From my experience corporate aviation can be a good match on QOL IF you find the right airplane with little or no charter and a good owner, or something with a rotating schedule. It can also be a complete drain on family life. All of the YYZ based management companies have airplanes in both situations.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

Canadian North has a pretty good lifestyle. Home most nights and the money is good. Jumpseat/Staff travel program and other standard benefits. Bases in YYC/YEG/YZF/YOW. PM with any questions!

Jeff

YG
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:47 am Instructing would give you the best quality of life, but likely less money than the other available options.
https://pilotsglobal.com/job/King-Air-f ... eb2d172c51

This vacancy is closed, but they come up semi-regularly. I know the job is usually Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00 with weekends and holidays off, so you'll be home every night.

Pay is pretty decent and it's probably considered one of the best flight instructing jobs in the country for pay and benefits. You'll fly the Grob 120 and the King Air and be teaching the best and brightest and most dedicated students you'll probably find.

The only downside? You have to live in or near Portage La Prairie.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Chasing unicorns in Canada, look states side.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:42 pm
digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:47 am Instructing would give you the best quality of life, but likely less money than the other available options.
https://pilotsglobal.com/job/King-Air-f ... eb2d172c51

This vacancy is closed, but they come up semi-regularly. I know the job is usually Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00 with weekends and holidays off, so you'll be home every night.

Pay is pretty decent and it's probably considered one of the best flight instructing jobs in the country for pay and benefits. You'll fly the Grob 120 and the King Air and be teaching the best and brightest and most dedicated students you'll probably find.

The only downside? You have to live in or near Portage La Prairie.
Yup!

And you can only plan for max 10 years ahead, since it's a military contract and it could move every time it's up for tender.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TC.Enforcement
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC.Enforcement »

pitottubey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:03 am Hi all! I currently am 26 yo, 1300 TT with 250 multi for background, living in Missisauga. I’m realizing I want to avoid spending 10 nights a month away from my family and working lots of weekends. I was wondering what jobs in aviation would be the best for family life, as QOL is my top priority. I was leaning towards a career in the regionals, probably jazz, maybe in the sim training department so I’m home more. Maybe working for CAE, management, or even at an aviation college as an instructor. But I’m open to other ideas and wanted to get peoples opinions! How can I get that good family life before I’m 40 yo, what’s the outlook like, or is that even realistic at all. Thanks all for your input

PS another fear I have going the regional career route is less career stability and losing my seniority number that I have and going back to square one
As has been mention by another user, Flair offers a YYZ and YKF base. You're home everynight. I was in the same situation as yourself, and it's the best decision I've made. I joined the company earlier this year and I've already got 100+ people behind me. My schedule is great, in August for example I max out after 13 days, and have 18 days off. The nice thing about being home everynight is it normally forces higher credit days which means you actually end up working less. This also puts you in a prime position to take OT, which there is a LOT of. In August alone I'll make 11k as a first year F/O just by doing a few GDO buyouts in July. The pay is also pretty good. It's $67,000 to start, which is higher than most. People here excellent as well. I have nothing but good things to say about Flair.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:48 pm Chasing unicorns in Canada, look states side.
+1

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I was just going to ask this question myself. As a newfather I'm getting tired of doing 19 days a month at Jazz with too many overnights and 4 day pairings. Is it possible to make 100K gross as a first year Flair FO with some OT? Does Flair have high deductions like Jazz?

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

If you want to work 8 to 10 days a months. Look at Transat for the Carribean turns or Sunwing.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Bueno74 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:34 pm Morningstar in YYZ offers Monday to Friday FedEx cargo flying on the Caravan, and it sounds like QOL is decent on the 757 as well.
From my experience corporate aviation can be a good match on QOL IF you find the right airplane with little or no charter and a good owner, or something with a rotating schedule. It can also be a complete drain on family life. All of the YYZ based management companies have airplanes in both situations.
Morningstar requires a phd and no less than 3 moon landings

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

newlygrounded wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:05 pm
Bueno74 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:34 pm Morningstar in YYZ offers Monday to Friday FedEx cargo flying on the Caravan, and it sounds like QOL is decent on the 757 as well.
Perhaps it seems this way if you have a fresh CPL…

ruffdeezy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ruffdeezy »

Once you meet the requirements, apply to be a TC inspector.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:05 pm
Perhaps it seems this way if you have a fresh CPL…
The fact they repost their ads weekly proves my point, or are you seriously saying there is nobody in Canada who wants to fly a 757

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ruffdeezy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 am Once you meet the requirements, apply to be a TC inspector.
That’s literally where pilots and ames go to die lol

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:48 pm Chasing unicorns in Canada, look states side.
+1
Unfortunately it’s reality. I found this out about ten years ago and glad I made the change.. Canadas pay scale is non existent, at least in the states they follow some guidelines!

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:00 am I was just going to ask this question myself. As a newfather I'm getting tired of doing 19 days a month at Jazz with too many overnights and 4 day pairings. Is it possible to make 100K gross as a first year Flair FO with some OT? Does Flair have high deductions like Jazz?
It is very possible. tc,enforcement mentioned he/she did 11k in one month. There are a couple of FO's in my base that have almost doubled their salary with some OT pickups each month. Not to flex, but personally I've already made my entire year's salary in the first 6 months of the year as captain with OT pick ups and am on pace to double mine as well. And this is on the current contract. Things should improve significantly on the next contract and ESP will be included as well as potential retention bonuses. For perspective, I have spent a total of 4 nights away from home since the beginning of the year. I have a month vacation in November and I'll be going away somewhere tropical using my jumpseat passes. Yeah, life here is pretty good.

Even though other countries pay more, I think there are still many options for good QoL in Canada. It really depends on what you want from your career in aviation.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flying4dollars wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 pm
It is very possible. tc,enforcement mentioned he/she did 11k in one month. There are a couple of FO's in my base that have almost doubled their salary with some OT pickups each month. Not to flex, but personally I've already made my entire year's salary in the first 6 months of the year as captain with OT pick ups and am on pace to double mine as well. And this is on the current contract. Things should improve significantly on the next contract and ESP will be included as well as potential retention bonuses. For perspective, I have spent a total of 4 nights away from home since the beginning of the year. I have a month vacation in November and I'll be going away somewhere tropical using my jumpseat passes. Yeah, life here is pretty good.

Even though other countries pay more, I think there are still many options for good QoL in Canada. It really depends on what you want from your career in aviation.
Except you can only fly 1000 hard hours/year. 12 x 83.3 = 1000

Return to “General Comments”