Why aren't Canadian pilots going on strike?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Why aren't Canadian pilots going on strike?

Post by digits_ »

I think it's interesting to acknowledge that in most countries improvements to strike related legislation only happened after -at the time- illegal strikes.

It's one of those things were you would have to do it first, to be allowed to do it again later on.

And if you want to do it completely legal, your only option is likely to quit and go to the competition. If enough pilots do that, things will likely change quickly. Someone mentioned work to rule. But if you're under a contract where you are underpaid -or have the impression you are underpaid-, why would anyone *not* work to rule? Isn't that the whole point of the contract? :smt102
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I would support strike actions, even if they inconvenience me. I think it's appalling what some are paid, (in the private sector) and so is the whole concept of TFW's.

And I think a huge wave of strikes, across industries, are on the way.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:17 am I would support strike actions, even if they inconvenience me. I think it's appalling what some are paid, (in the private sector) and so is the whole concept of TFW's.

And I think a huge wave of strikes, across industries, are on the way.
I agree completely. TFW’s is something I neglected to mention in my post.

We just went through one of the greatest if not the greatest wealth transfer in history from the lower income earners, middle class to the elite. The davos crew/ et Al needs to stop the virtue signaling and check their privilege .

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Index wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 am
Bede wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:31 pm An employee group can only strike when the contract expires. You cannot strike if there is still a valid contract. That's straight from the Canada Labour Code. You also cannot take concerted labour action like work to rule.

As for comparing Canada and the US. Unfortunately US carriers earn far more per pilot so there is more "pie" to go after. One of the big reasons is our government support (or lack thereof) for airports. The monies that US pilots can negotiate for are largely allocated to government and airport authorities in CAnada.
Well, I'll be honest, I didn't know, I just looked it up also...

Now with that said, what is one supposed to do then if you're locked into an ancient contract, which has another 10 years left and is not going to cut it given todays current conditions and future economic outlook? Like meatservo said, pay raises should, in an ideal world, automatically take into account some form of inflation
Nothing to do but learn for next time that it's not a good idea for a union to sign agreements for for that long without mid term wage reopeners.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

Seems that everyone has forgotten what happened eleven years ago.

Or at least, nobody seems willing to mention it.

viewtopic.php?p=702011

EDIT: The above topic was not in relation to pilots. I've attached the more relevant topic below:

viewtopic.php?t=80073

Last edited by Bingo Fuel on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bingo Fuel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 am Seems that everyone has forgotten what happened eleven years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=702011
That’s the problem with a government owning 6.4% of the organization. It’s a matter of national security (or so it can be argued) to keep the airline operational. That’s been the case since Air Canada Public Privatization Act in 1988 I think.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:26 am
Bingo Fuel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 am Seems that everyone has forgotten what happened eleven years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=702011
That’s the problem with a government owning 6.4% of the organization. It’s a matter of national security (or so it can be argued) to keep the airline operational. That’s been the case since Air Canada Public Privatization Act in 1988 I think.
How did the government ownership stake have an impact on the 'Protecting Air Services Act'?

https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-1/C-33/?singlepage=1

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bingo Fuel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:26 am

viewtopic.php?p=702011
How did the government ownership stake have an impact on the 'Protecting Air Services Act'?

https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-1/C-33/?singlepage=1
As far as I know it’s part of the Privatization Act of 1988, I can’t cite the info atm, but under certain circumstances of the deal they can step in to ensure the airline stays operational.

CantTurfdaMurph
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CantTurfdaMurph »

goingmissed wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:32 am There is a picket planned for September 1st at:
  • Atlanta ATL
  • Detroit DTW
  • Las Angeles LAX
  • Minneapolis MSP
  • New York JFK
  • Salt Lake City SLC
  • Seattle SEA
  • Boston BOS
  • Orlando MCO
  • Las Vegas LAS
  • San Francisco SFO
  • Chicago ORD
  • Washington DC IAD
  • Calgary YYC
  • Toronto YYZ
  • Vancouver YVR
Delta, Endeavor, JetBlue, Sun Country, Spirit, United, WestJet, and WestJet Encore pilots are invited to stand in unity with other ALPA pilots.
You won't be finding me picketing anywhere I can tell you that much. It's cottage season and us fat cats don't have time for peasant stuff!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

CantTurfdaMurph wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 pm
goingmissed wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:32 am There is a picket planned for September 1st at:
  • Atlanta ATL
  • Detroit DTW
  • Las Angeles LAX
  • Minneapolis MSP
  • New York JFK
  • Salt Lake City SLC
  • Seattle SEA
  • Boston BOS
  • Orlando MCO
  • Las Vegas LAS
  • San Francisco SFO
  • Chicago ORD
  • Washington DC IAD
  • Calgary YYC
  • Toronto YYZ
  • Vancouver YVR
Delta, Endeavor, JetBlue, Sun Country, Spirit, United, WestJet, and WestJet Encore pilots are invited to stand in unity with other ALPA pilots.
You won't be finding me picketing anywhere I can tell you that much. It's cottage season and us fat cats don't have time for peasant stuff!

I agree, just walk away let the absence be the message lol

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:39 pm
  • Atlanta ATL
  • Detroit DTW
  • Las Angeles LAX
  • Minneapolis MSP
  • New York JFK
  • Salt Lake City SLC
  • Seattle SEA
  • Boston BOS
  • Orlando MCO
  • Las Vegas LAS
  • San Francisco SFO
  • Chicago ORD
  • Washington DC IAD
  • Calgary YYC
  • Toronto YYZ
  • Vancouver YVR
YYZ is doing a good job of picketing itself.
Currently?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

fish4life wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:11 am You can only strike in canada after a set process involving conciliation and something else I can’t remember but either way it has to be after a contract has expired. You can’t be half way through a contract and say F it I’m going on strike since the deal I agreed to “X” years ago isn’t good enough
Can’t and shouldn’t is a very fine line

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm glad that the two of you are comfortable and happy with the state of things. Enjoy your Thursday and don't forget a towel.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

goingmissed wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:51 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm glad that the two of you are comfortable and happy with the state of things. Enjoy your Thursday and don't forget a towel.
Walking away from work certainly doesn’t mean anyone is happy.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 pm Walking away from work certainly doesn’t mean anyone is happy.
Choosing not to stand up against poor pay and working conditions implies that you are okay with the status quo. I support and respect your decision as we all come from different backgrounds and experiences and have different outlooks on life.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

goingmissed wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:02 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 pm Walking away from work certainly doesn’t mean anyone is happy.
Choosing not to stand up against poor pay and working conditions implies that you are okay with the status quo. I support and respect your decision as we all come from different backgrounds and experiences and have different outlooks on life.
I’ve stood up to more BS in this industry than most. Let me rephrase that. “Refuse to work for crap conditions and wages by walking if conditions aren’t met”.
I have done that SEVERAL times in my career always for the betterment of the situation. Operators always assume that you need them, and with the pittance they’re tea-spooning out, for most workers that is the case, not me.
This industry is a white haired club of predators that have devised a parasitic relationship with the work force by keeping wages low enough and options scarce enough most have no alternative but stick it out, or, much more detrimental for most, re-educating and leaving the industry.
I’ve been diverse in my careers and don’t need their crap, I have lots of work. If employers offer reasonable work and pay scale after an ultimatum, I’ll stick around. Im batting around .300-.350 in those regards.
I hope this clarifies where I stand.

YULCompanyManDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YULCompanyManDan »

You wouldn't catch me dead striking or at a picket. Unions should be finding ways to help the company. More costing savings, equals more profits and everyone wins

We got many pilots making $200k plus in YUL plus all the 737 pilots that got paid to sit around. Things are great and nothing wrong with the status quo

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

YULCompanyManDan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am You wouldn't catch me dead striking or at a picket. Unions should be finding ways to help the company. More costing savings, equals more profits and everyone wins

We got many pilots making $200k plus in YUL plus all the 737 pilots that got paid to sit around. Things are great and nothing wrong with the status quo
Sarcasm doesn't ring well over text based mediums.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

goingmissed wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 am I took home $1168 on my last paycheck. That is standard pay and not lowered in any way (other than taxes). I get paid twice a month.
Did you know the rate when you took the job ? If you knew the rate it paid, and you accepted the offer, then by definition you are not underpaid.

YULCompanyManDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YULCompanyManDan »

goingmissed wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm
YULCompanyManDan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am You wouldn't catch me dead striking or at a picket. Unions should be finding ways to help the company. More costing savings, equals more profits and everyone wins

Sarcasm doesn't ring well over text based mediums.
Not being sarcastic Tabarnac

I would never stand up to the company.

Return to “General Comments”