interview prep

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

interview prep

Post by tsukubacpe »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if there are sources online that could help me prepare for interviews since I am the worse when it comes to this. In my flying career I've only had one job (703) and I've gotten all my time here needed to be able to work at a 705 carrier. When I got the job It was a 10-15 min conversation with the CP over the phone pretty much asking me if I could travel for ground school on said date, so I've never really experienced what its like to sit down and have multiple people interview me. I now have tons of time and have 2 interviews booked for next week with big 705 carriers.
I am horrible at interviews and I become very nervous and feel like my answers are not the best. I don't want to lose out on this opportunity because I really want one of the jobs.
Any help, links or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

Bueno74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: interview prep

Post by Bueno74 »

Fellow nervous interviewer here…
Remember that you have something the company wants and needs, especially in the current market. Think about your knowledge, skills, attitudes and experience and be ready to share how they have made you the pilot you are today.
Show an expression of interest in the company you are interviewing for, especially because of company culture.
Try to research from colleagues, avcanada, interview prep sites, etc what the technical questions might be and know them cold. These will be the easy ones.
If you’re like me the tough ones are “Tell me a time when” or “what would you do if” questions. These may also be available online but are always difficult, especially when you get one that is unexpected. Prep as much as you can, especially on diversity, challenging authority, communication, conflict resolution and customer service. Think about the times you felt “I’m glad I did the right thing” or “I’m glad I said no” and you’ll have a wealth of experience to draw on.
Remember that you are also interviewing them and have a list of insightful questions prepared for the panel. You are there to find out whether this company is actually a good fit for you and your family so don’t hesitate to ask the tough questions about pay, QOL and upgrade time.
Even the best candidate will have a question or two where they feel like they are spewing verbal diarrhea. Just do your best without BS and move on. You may have done just as well as anybody else.
Good luck!
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”