Tyax emergency landing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tyax emergency landing

Post by Girl17 »

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about this. The news said the Beaver had to do an emergency landing, and the six occupants are injured but recovering. I'm not interested in the mechanical details or who-did-what: it's just that it's possible one of my friends was the pilot. We haven't spoken in a while so I'm uncomfortable reaching out on social media. All I want to know is if they are OK, so if someone knows please send me a message.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Tyax emergency landing

Post by cncpc »

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GIYV, a Tyax Air Service Limited, float-equipped De Havilland Aircraft of Canada DHC2
(Beaver), was conducting a flight from Tyaughton Lake, BC, to Lorna Lake, BC, with 1 pilot and 5
passengers on board. During cruise, the pilot attempted a course reversal in a valley and the
aircraft collided with terrain. The pilot and 2 passengers received serious injuries and 3 passengers
received minor injuries. The aircraft was substantially damaged. The 406 MHz emergency locator
transmitter (ELT) activated but SAR efforts were delayed by approximately 3 hours due to low
ceilings near the accident site.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

From Tyax website:

"On Sunday, July 17 at approximately 10:40am PT, a De Havilland Beaver float plane traveling from Tyaughton Lake to Lorna Lake in the South Chilcotin mountain range went down in an emergency landing on land."

I don't think crashing into terrain is an emergency landing. :roll:

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Girl17 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:40 am I'm wondering if anyone has any information about this. The news said the Beaver had to do an emergency landing, and the six occupants are injured but recovering. I'm not interested in the mechanical details or who-did-what: it's just that it's possible one of my friends was the pilot. We haven't spoken in a while so I'm uncomfortable reaching out on social media. All I want to know is if they are OK, so if someone knows please send me a message.

Thanks
Pilot is an old coworker of mine. She’s doing alright.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”