Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Flatline
Rank 0
Rank 0

United, Delta or American?

Post by Flatline »

Hey Folks

I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.

1. Converting my Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP
2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?
4. Which one of the Majors is the best to work for?

My experience is as follows:
Green Card: Via Family Stream and not EB2-NIW Visa
Total Time: 3500hrs
3.5years Medevac/Corporate
2.5at Jazz
2.2years at AC(including furlough)
---------- ADS -----------

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: United, Delta or American?

Post by Tbayer2021 »

I don't have any of those answers but I will say one thing. Probably a bad idea to quit a job at the flag carrier here to start looking for something in the States. I definitely would jump to the US if I could, but I'd line up a job before quitting the one I have here.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Congratulations on deciding to leave Canadian aviation behind!
I just completed the FAA conversion. This pretty much sums it up.

https://skiesmag.com/news/transport-can ... rtificate/

I would use the sheppard ATP groundschool. They don't have a Canadian specific study course but the questions (around 1900 of them) from the ATP course are exactly what you will see on the 60 question conversion exam.

Good luck!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'd go to the first one that called.

I wouldn't go to a US regional to get there though.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

All pay amazing, Delta is king though for life. I think they are #1 or #2 and go back and forth with FedEx I believe.

As far as the process, not difficult at all. Not cheap either - plan for between 7-10k USD to convert to ATP (sim course is exoensive and that factors for hotels, meals and transportation). Price varies by training supplier.

Exams and FAA paperwork is cheap in comparison.

Tax wise, as far as the accountant I spoke to, she said you only pay the higher of the 2 taxes, likely Canadian income tax only, as the US has a special tax arrangement with Canada. Confirm with your personal accountant on this matter.

Likely you'll want to move entirely and save on the tax.

Skipping the NIW process is critical at this point. That family green card is key. How it applies to you at 39, none of my bizness.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Flatline wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm Hey Folks

I am on the verge of quitting AC and relocating to the States to continue with my career. Was wondering if anyone who has recently moved to the States can provide some info on the following questions.

2. Taxes — If I decide to keep my house in Canada and My Wife’s and Kids (strong ties to Canada) decide not to move to the States would I have to pay income taxes both in the States and Canada?
3. Do I have to go work at the regionals in other to get into the Major in the states?

2.5at Jazz
converting from a canadian atpl to atp can be expensive out of pocket. Most likely a regional would pay for the atp-ctp course for you when hired. Having the atp in hand, and applying to a US major would be a big plus though and probably let you skip the regionals.

Congrats on getting the US visa, mines at the NVC and should be done this year.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I have a friend looking into this right now. I seem to remember him telling me that it wasn't possible to have his wife and kids stay in Canada. Commuting wasn't possible with the visa options available to any Canadian. They all require residency in the US which is different than the Australian visas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

2.5at Jazz
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am

2.5at Jazz
This is a bit off, I assume money and QOL is something your worrying about or just something else. Please do a favour this is my suggestion, rethink the decision that your making if your not comfortable at the main carrier look at others that suits your needs. Moving to the US especially in times when crime rates are increasing and the fact that there is no garuntee that your days are numbered is a very big risk. Career can also be made in many different places, even in Canada. I'm not aware of what your goals are neither do I have to involve in it again its just a suggestion, it's your wish on what you decide. Goodluck
I’d chance the crime rates you speak of for a shot at earning double or triple what an airline pilot earns in Canada. Oh and pay less tax, and live somewhere you can go outside in the winter. The list it endless! If you have a green card get outta here to whoever calls you first and don’t look back!

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

2.5at Jazz
All good things, but I would caution you on one huge issue. The pension plans at all these companies are not privately held like they are in Canada. Go back in history to the days when at least Delta (and others) declared chapter 11 bankruptcy and the pilots lost every dollar of their pensions. I some cases it was nearly a million dollars per pilot. Gone with the wind and never recovered. Airlines being airlines in the states and with a coming recession I would gamble very carefully with my career, and weight that heavily before I left all because "they pay so much more". I flew with more than a few ex Delta Captains overseas as they were out of work after 911 and the company was restructuring under Chapter 11 and broke. They lost it all. Remember Frank Lorenzo?

Good luck though.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am

2.5at Jazz
I’d chance the crime rates you speak of for a shot at earning double or triple what an airline pilot earns in Canada. Oh and pay less tax, and live somewhere you can go outside in the winter. The list it endless! If you have a green card get outta here to whoever calls you first and don’t look back!
Your earnings will never be close to how you feel when your kid get shot at school by a so called "mentally ill" person or how a police officer can pull a trigger and end your life as if it's a super mario game. I'll trade all that low pay for the safety of my life and family. Many would agree or disagree with this, but at the end its your own opinion and the choice you make for the best

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DL and you should all relocate (I assume wife is entitled based on your status. Kids if minors. Not sure if 18+).

I would still take an AA or UA offer if it comes first. Skip the regionals. The only restriction that will apply to you after ATPL conversion is 2 years of Part 121 FO time prior to Part 121 upgrade.

Good luck and enjoy! You will make 2-3x as much as CDN career and pay at least 25% less in income taxes. Pension at the top 8 carriers is excellent (16-18% company only contribution to 401k). Cost of living is way cheaper so long as you stay out of big cities in CA and NY.

Look to pick a non-tax state for residence and tax purposes. There are 8 of them. Most pilots choose FL or TX.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rudder wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:26 am DL and you should all relocate (I assume wife is entitled based on your status. Kids if minors. Not sure if 18+).

I would still take an AA or UA offer if it comes first. Skip the regionals. The only restriction that will apply to you after ATPL conversion is 2 years of Part 121 FO time prior to Part 121 upgrade.

Good luck and enjoy! You will make 2-3x as much as CDN career and pay at least 25% less in income taxes. Pension at the top 8 carriers is excellent (16-18% company only contribution to 401k). Cost of living is way cheaper so long as you stay out of big cities in CA and NY.

Look to pick a non-tax state for residence and tax purposes. There are 8 of them. Most pilots choose FL or TX.
:idea: :smt023

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Typical crabs pulling eachother back into the bucket. "Don't leave! Your kids will die! PM Turdeau is making guns illegal here for your safety! Our healthcare is free and the best in the world!" 🤣🤣
Delusional to say the least 🤣🤣

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

There is something called commuter status for the green card. That would allow you to live in Canada and work in the US.
Time doesn’t count towards becoming a US citizen though. You’ll also pay taxes in Canada via the tax treaty. (You aren’t double taxed)
Problem with this plan is that you live in Canada and don’t enjoy the much better quality of life in the US.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I am trying to do the same move except with the EB2-NIW visa. Its a huge gamble though and I could potentially be out $10,000-20,000 in lawyers and filing fees and still get denied. Green card through family or marriage is definitely the way to go.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

If ou live in Canada and work in the states, you will have to file taxes in both countries. Hiring a cross border accountant is very expensive. US/Canada cross border taxes are very complicated. If you're a green card holder living in Canada, US immigration will take it away if they find out you are not present in the US ( someone mentioned a commuter status for green card holders. I could be wrong). Also, the IRS will come after any TFSAs and mutual funds you have in Canada since they are tax free account. Both countries will tax you on dividends earn in your stock portfolio.

Lastly commuting isn't fun. You're QOL will diminish rapidly. You're wife if married will start to hate that you're gone. You'll be junior will a shit schedule at a regional or mainline carrier stuck doing pairings with two to three days of in between. That's enough time to fly home wash your clothes and go back to sit standby all day to commute back to base somewhere in the US.

If you have good seniority at AC, think hard before you exhaust yourself commuting. You will rarely see your kids. Pilot have some of the biggest divorce rates. This will not help.

Respectfully

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Regarding commuter status if you’re interested

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/vol ... -chapter-4

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:46 pm If ou live in Canada and work in the states, you will have to file taxes in both countries. Hiring a cross border accountant is very expensive. US/Canada cross border taxes are very complicated. If you're a green card holder living in Canada, US immigration will take it away if they find out you are not present in the US ( someone mentioned a commuter status for green card holders. I could be wrong). Also, the IRS will come after any TFSAs and mutual funds you have in Canada since they are tax free account. Both countries will tax you on dividends earn in your stock portfolio.

Lastly commuting isn't fun. You're QOL will diminish rapidly. You're wife if married will start to hate that you're gone. You'll be junior will a shit schedule at a regional or mainline carrier stuck doing pairings with two to three days of in between. That's enough time to fly home wash your clothes and go back to sit standby all day to commute back to base somewhere in the US.

If you have good seniority at AC, think hard before you exhaust yourself commuting. You will rarely see your kids. Pilot have some of the biggest divorce rates. This will not help.

Respectfully
I remember asking an immigration attorney a while back about commuter status on an F3 (most likely for your situation I'm guessing), it's not allowed. It's designed so you can join your family member down in the USA (not that there are any real restrictions once you're there). I would move the family down the the US because they should be able to get green cards through you. EVen if you want to come back, do it after 5 years when you all have citizenship.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I’d agree that choosing a life as a commuter with none of the benefits of living in the US or gaining citizenship for your family wouldn’t be worth it.
When I immigrated one of the big draws was gaining citizenship for my wife and kids. They’re all dual citizens now.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”