The Bottom Feeders

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

OldGoataviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

The Bottom Feeders

Post by OldGoataviator »

As expected due to the ongoing shortage of qualified crews some of the less scrupulous operators are resorting to some quite poor employer practices. In an attempt to be able to provide crews with as little a rest period as legal, said operators are requiring crews to bunk down in a hotel room at their home base so that a 10 hour rest period can used. In my opinion these are nothing less than “sweatshop” tactics and a method in which I don’t believe was the intent of the new flight and duty regs. But to be sure there will be more than a few “ticked off” spouses when said crew member has to tell their better half the good news.
Great morale builder.
---------- ADS -----------

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The Bottom Feeders

Post by McKinley »

OldGoataviator wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:17 pm As expected due to the ongoing shortage of qualified crews some of the less scrupulous operators are resorting to some quite poor employer practices. In an attempt to be able to provide crews with as little a rest period as legal, said operators are requiring crews to bunk down in a hotel room at their home base so that a 10 hour rest period can used. In my opinion these are nothing less than “sweatshop” tactics and a method in which I don’t believe was the intent of the new flight and duty regs. But to be sure there will be more than a few “ticked off” spouses when said crew member has to tell their better half the good news.
Great morale builder.

Yuck. I’m sure there will be more than enough “ company men ( and women)” willing to capitulate to these demands and shame those in the company who choose not to do so.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

OldGoataviator wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:17 pm As expected due to the ongoing shortage of qualified crews some of the less scrupulous operators are resorting to some quite poor employer practices. In an attempt to be able to provide crews with as little a rest period as legal, said operators are requiring crews to bunk down in a hotel room at their home base so that a 10 hour rest period can used. In my opinion these are nothing less than “sweatshop” tactics and a method in which I don’t believe was the intent of the new flight and duty regs. But to be sure there will be more than a few “ticked off” spouses when said crew member has to tell their better half the good news.
Great morale builder.
I think that's exactly the intent of the regulations though: hotel room at home base means no distractions, which means (theoretically) you can get your 8 hours of sleep without needing more rest.

Still a terrible strategy though. I'm sure quite a few resumes are going out the door that first lonely evening in the hotel room!

Which operators are doing this?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Great morale builder.
Name and shame or this is meaningless.

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

thepoors wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:55 pm [quote=OldGoataviator post_id=<a href="tel:1208226">1208226</a> time=<a href="tel:1659989872">1659989872</a> user_id=89815]
As expected due to the ongoing shortage of qualified crews some of the less scrupulous operators are resorting to some quite poor employer practices. In an attempt to be able to provide crews with as little a rest period as legal, said operators are requiring crews to bunk down in a hotel room at their home base so that a 10 hour rest period can used. In my opinion these are nothing less than “sweatshop” tactics and a method in which I don’t believe was the intent of the new flight and duty regs. But to be sure there will be more than a few “ticked off” spouses when said crew member has to tell their better half the good news.
Great morale builder.
Name and shame or this is meaningless.
[/quote]

Can’t speak outside the private world much, but it’s not uncommon to see sprint crews trudging in through the doors half asleep, usually muttering something or other about min rest after min rest. It’s ok though, their company keeps them in the best hotels and keeps them netted down with bonds, so it must be a great place to work!

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

This is not new. It could be acceptable if the crew has the choice of turning down the flight or taking the min rest in the hotel which is the case when it is in the CBA.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

frog wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:28 am This is not new. It could be acceptable if the crew has the choice of turning down the flight or taking the min rest in the hotel which is the case when it is in the CBA.
These tactics are as old and crappy as the industry itself

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

So Oldgoataviator,

Which operators are doing this? You make these claims, only fair to let everyone know they are. It would help new pilots to make a choice.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Agree, why protect their identity instead of junior pilots well being?

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Oh it's a 1900 operator in Hamilton. Shit hours AND minimum wage for FO's.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Ok so Skylink. Why the secrecy? Oldgoataviator you should put up or shut up. There's enough rumours around here. Next time try substantiating your claims.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

I agree. Out them

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I want names! I want to see it hit the fan lol

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Some people like to live 90 minutes away.

If it is an occasional thing, it could be reasonable.

lawrenceloft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lawrenceloft »

rooster wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:22 pm Ok so Skylink. Why the secrecy? Oldgoataviator you should put up or shut up. There's enough rumours around here. Next time try substantiating your claims.
Can confirm that Skylink is doing this. They have had so many fatigue calls out of their Hamilton base due to overwork that the rumour in company is TC started asking questions. Has not fixed much though.

Skylink planes don't have autopilot and several of their planes do not have functional RNAV, which really racks up the fatigue, especially on a night run. I suspect the thread title was a pun/hint, as Skylink is a cargo feeder and a bottom paying company.

Return to “General Comments”