DEC Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: DEC Jazz

Post by dhc# »

Anyone know if Jazz has, had to park aircraft due to lack of crews yet?
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

dhc# wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm Anyone know if Jazz has, had to park aircraft due to lack of crews yet?
Cancelling at least 5-20 flights a day for the last few months sooooo

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

flyingcanuck wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm
dhc# wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm Anyone know if Jazz has, had to park aircraft due to lack of crews yet?
Was that for crews though? AC reduced flights for the summer and that would include jazz flights too

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

goleafsgo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:54 am
flyingcanuck wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm
Was that for crews though? AC reduced flights for the summer and that would include jazz flights too
Jazz was originally planned to be operating 600-700 flights per day for summer schedule. AC commercial tapered the Express schedule just as it did for mainline, although I think that proportionally a higher number of Express flights were removed from the system.

There will still be day of flight cancellations. And perhaps, some might be due to lack of crew. Considering the largest hub is still facing significant logistical challenges, IRROPS will always result in crew shortages due to crew misconnects and duty issues. Nobody runs at 25% RSV coverage.

p.s. for perspective - there was a time when Jazz had a fleet of 150+ aircraft and operated 1100+ daily flights. Times have certainly changed. Somewhere in the not too distant future the Jazz fleet will settle around 80-105 aircraft and 500-700 sectors per day.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Bertollag wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm Hi Everyone,
I have a question about the DEC positions at Jazz. Do you think it is a good move starting as a captain when you don’t know the company, the aircraft, the routes… do you think being FO for a couple of months really makes a difference to learn the stuff or the DEC position is fine ?
Thank you very much !
In the classes with DEC positions available, many DEC positions have been available, only a handful have put up their hands for the DEC, the remainder of the ATPL new hires choose to start as FO.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:05 pm
I have a question about the DEC positions at Jazz. Do you think it is a good move starting as a captain when you don’t know the company, the aircraft, the routes… do you think being FO for a couple of months really makes a difference to learn the stuff or the DEC position is fine ?
Thank you very much !
In the classes with DEC positions available, many DEC positions have been available, only a handful have put up their hands for the DEC, the remainder of the ATPL new hires choose to start as FO.
You can put up your hand, but that doesn’t mean you will be successful in the initial type course, the upgrade assessment, line indoctrination, or the CA line check. These are all challenging endeavours, and there is just one standard.

Absent a background of command in a 705 operation, or command in corporate on a jet, or extensive experience as an FO in a 705 operation (preferably jet), the possibility of success for DEC at Jazz on the CRJ is significantly diminished. There is no such thing as ab initio training for DEC.

Remains to be seen what Jazz will do with DEC that are unsuccessful.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

rudder wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:17 am
Thank you very much !
You can put up your hand, but that doesn’t mean you will be successful in the initial type course, the upgrade assessment, line indoctrination, or the CA line check. These are all challenging endeavours, and there is just one standard.

Absent a background of command in a 705 operation, or command in corporate on a jet, or extensive experience as an FO in a 705 operation (preferably jet), the possibility of success for DEC at Jazz on the CRJ is significantly diminished. There is no such thing as ab initio training for DEC.

I really don’t know how much of a fucktard you’d have to be in order to fail an upgrade at Jazz ... I’d tell stories but even the most cynical here would say I’m full of shit :lol:

Pretty sure if you fail they’ll just give you more FTD, sim training, a “strong talk”, then another chance at the assessment course, then more training then a ride that you already know the script and then and extra 50-100hrs of Indoc and then they’ll shop around for a check airman to sign you off and if they can’t find anyone then a manager will do it. And then a month later on his first pairing post line check, the candidate will be clipping some runway edge lights taxiing at night in YVR and everyone will act like no-one could have seen this coming.

So yeah ... it’s really really really hard to fail the course compared to other 705 operators ... or at least it used to be but I doubt that the MPIC pilot shortage did anything to address that... if anything it’s worse now but I’ll be delighted if someone chimes in and tell me I’m wrong but commuting on the Jazz J/S in the past, I’ve seen a stuff that I wish I didn’t see. I’m much happier in the back, ignorance is truly bliss.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:33 pm
rudder wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:17 am

I really don’t know how much of a fucktard you’d have to be in order to fail an upgrade at Jazz ... I’d tell stories but even the most cynical here would say I’m full of shit :lol:

Pretty sure if you fail they’ll just give you more FTD, sim training, a “strong talk”, then another chance at the assessment course, then more training then a ride that you already know the script and then and extra 50-100hrs of Indoc and then they’ll shop around for a check airman to sign you off and if they can’t find anyone then a manager will do it. And then a month later on his first pairing post line check, the candidate will be clipping some runway edge lights taxiing at night in YVR and everyone will act like no-one could have seen this coming.

So yeah ... it’s really really really hard to fail the course compared to other 705 operators ... or at least it used to be but I doubt that the MPIC pilot shortage did anything to address that... if anything it’s worse now but I’ll be delighted if someone chimes in and tell me I’m wrong but commuting on the Jazz J/S in the past, I’ve seen a stuff that I wish I didn’t see. I’m much happier in the back, ignorance is truly bliss.
You're pretty wrong, I know several people who failed and did NOT upgrade. They don't just pass just cause. Sure there are some that aren't the best but overall th process is pretty good

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

You're pretty wrong, I know several people who failed and did NOT upgrade. They don't just pass just cause. Sure there are some that aren't the best but overall th process is pretty good
Well that's good to hear. Are you saying that you you personally know several people who failed their upgrades in their last 3-4 years or was that before?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

New DEC experience requirements now in place.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

swervin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 pm New DEC experience requirements now in place.
No longer any hour requirements I see.

Valid Transport Canada Instrument Rating.
Valid Airline Transport Pilots License.
Valid Transport Canada Multi Engine rating.
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 Medical.
Must be able to obtain a Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC).
Must hold a current passport at time of hire.
If you are a Permanent Resident, you must be able to obtain and maintain crew visa documentation required to operate aircraft within the USA.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Must have completed a High School diploma.
Candidates must meet Transport Canada English proficiency standard.
Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

FL030 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:09 pm
swervin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 pm New DEC experience requirements now in place.

If you are a Permanent Resident, you must be able to obtain and maintain crew visa documentation required to operate aircraft within the USA.
Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset.
Nope.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:42 pm
Well that's good to hear. Are you saying that you you personally know several people who failed their upgrades in their last 3-4 years or was that before?
There's one in particular who keeps trying, but is unsuccessful. She's had what, 3 kicks at the can now?

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

swervin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:20 pm

Nope.
Pray for no Colgan Air's this winter.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

swervin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:20 pm

Nope.
Care to elaborate then?

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

If Jazz were paying decent money, I’d think about going back. But to make what I made 20 years ago…..no way.

Time to start coughing up the money if you want experienced pilots in the left seat.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Doesn't the last requirement essentially dictate time required owing to the ATPL reference !!

"Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset."

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:54 am

Doesn't the last requirement essentially dictate time required owing to the ATPL reference !!

"Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset."
Having a ATPL has always been required at Jazz in order to upgrade.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

QKZXKV wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:53 am ...
When I bumped into a line ops person who had the information for Jazz hiring last week, they said 10-12 have been showing up for a 20 seat ground school. Interviews are even higher no-show/call returns.
Maybe Jazz should overbook their groundschools like AC overbooks their flights to account for a certain percentage of people not showing up? Imagine quitting your job and showing up to class and being told, sorry we overbooked the classroom, you can have a first class ticket on the next one (in a month) here's $200. :lol:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

co-joe wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:27 am
QKZXKV wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:53 am ...
When I bumped into a line ops person who had the information for Jazz hiring last week, they said 10-12 have been showing up for a 20 seat ground school. Interviews are even higher no-show/call returns.
Maybe Jazz should overbook their groundschools like AC overbooks their flights to account for a certain percentage of people not showing up? Imagine quitting your job and showing up to class and being told, sorry we overbooked the classroom, you can have a first class ticket on the next one (in a month) here's $200. :lol:
On June 06 20 showed up.

On June 27 19 showed up.

Not sure about July 18 or August 08. Previous poster said August 29 was 19 in attendance. Don’t know where the rumour came from about PIT no shows. Interviews and sim check may be altogether different.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”