All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by BE02 Driver »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am Let's hear some success stories guys when they start to roll in.

Discussing rather than withholding is how we benefit our winged brethren. If you are successful then what does it hurt to share your success AND assist others in succeeding?

The pathetic situation at Air Canada is what happens when people think solely for themselves and completely abandon the crew resource concept. Toxic management has managed to divide and conquer that flight group like nobody's business. I had a Bahamian describe that situation as 'Black Crab Syndrome', keep people from succeeding and in the bucket so they all die from the same fate.

I'm a little behind but catching up here, hoping to have something to look forward to when the course is all done.
First Data Point:
I moved to the US in 2021, currently have EB3 visa (Green Card). Flying for a Major Airline.

You can read my previous post as a possible path. However there are many paths to the US, each person has to find one that works for them and their personal circumstances. Each has it's own pro's and con's, none are cheap, and non are particularly easy. But it is achievable with some grit and a good dose of faith.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:18 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am Let's hear some success stories guys when they start to roll in.

Discussing rather than withholding is how we benefit our winged brethren. If you are successful then what does it hurt to share your success AND assist others in succeeding?

The pathetic situation at Air Canada is what happens when people think solely for themselves and completely abandon the crew resource concept. Toxic management has managed to divide and conquer that flight group like nobody's business. I had a Bahamian describe that situation as 'Black Crab Syndrome', keep people from succeeding and in the bucket so they all die from the same fate.

I'm a little behind but catching up here, hoping to have something to look forward to when the course is all done.
First Data Point:
I moved to the US in 2021, currently have EB3 visa (Green Card). Flying for a Major Airline.

You can read my previous post as a possible path. However there are many paths to the US, each person has to find one that works for them and their personal circumstances. Each has it's own pro's and con's, none are cheap, and non are particularly easy. But it is achievable with some grit and a good dose of faith.
Thank you for sharing BE02 🤜🏻🤛🏻.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Frontier could have already gotten their PERM Labour Certification. Express I140 processing is now 15 days if you pay an extra $1000ish. Small beans for a company. Then if you are from a country that has no waitlist for adjustment of status (notice how it's only Canada, Mexico, Chile and Singapore? all countries with no wait list) you can get an EB3 approved very quickly. I wonder if this is what they are doing. As BE02 Driver states, the EB3 visa is a lot easier to get.
The EB-3 is an employment-based immigrant visa that is on the third preference level. Because of this, the requirements are not as stringent as they are for the second and first preference levels. There is no need to get a master’s degree, prove exceptional abilities or achievements, or become an executive in a company. In order to be considered eligible for an EB-3, you simply need to qualify for one of the following three categories:

-A foreign professional with a bachelor’s degree. You must be able to prove that your occupation requires your particular degree.
-A skilled worker with at least two years of experience performing the tasks of your job.
-An unskilled worker. This category has differing priority dates and requires your job to be permanent and not seasonal or temporary. You do not need work experience for this category, and so almost anyone who acquires a permanent job in the U.S. can obtain an EB-3 green card.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Can the EB-3 visa be granted without a job offer from a US company?

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:15 pm Can the EB-3 visa be granted without a job offer from a US company?
No you must have a job offer, and the company must go through the PERM process.

The only EB based visa/green card that doesn't need a job offer that would apply to pilots is the EB2-NIW.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

negative_g wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:15 pm Can the EB-3 visa be granted without a job offer from a US company?
No you must have a job offer, and the company must go through the PERM process.
Interesting, does anyone have a list of US companies who would be willing to do that? I have cold called/emailed a bunch of US airlines without success so I thought I would have to settle for the EB-2 NIW which is hard and expensive to be granted as a pilot.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

The best options are likely corporate 135 jobs.

You could also just go get your ATP and then apply for this job at Frontier as your foot in the door. Unless you're an astronaut, 10+ years of experience, ex-mil, 10,000 hours, 705 command time etc I doubt an NIW will be approved.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

kgb531 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm Charter 6 rights apply to interprovincial travel for living and work. As to leaving or returning to Canada, it is only that. Working outside of Canada does not involve any charter rights, only the right to return to the country.
North Shore wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 am
DanWEC wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
Interesting...I think that it would have to be done on the quiet, otherwise, don't 'they' open themselves up to a Charter challenge on Freedom of Movement (section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights)?
Section 6: 6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. IANAL, but that seems pretty cut-and-dried, no? Or am I reading too much into it, thinking that the Government has no right to interfere with your mobility?
JBI, you around on this thread?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

EB2 NIW approvals have been flowing in for foreign pilots. The lawyer I was dealing with only had one rejected however he will only take candidates that have a good chance of succeeding. No astronauts as far as I know 🤔

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

negative_g wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 pm The best options are likely corporate 135 jobs.

You could also just go get your ATP and then apply for this job at Frontier as your foot in the door. Unless you're an astronaut, 10+ years of experience, ex-mil, 10,000 hours, 705 command time etc I doubt an NIW will be approved.
It's funny how some law firms say that mostly all pilots can easily get the NIW and others say no chance. The cost I have been quoted for the NIW 2 step process (I-140 and then, if approved, DS-260 for all family members) with filing fees is close to $20,000 CAD so it is a huge risk to take with no guarantees.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

North Shore wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:24 pm
kgb531 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm Charter 6 rights apply to interprovincial travel for living and work. As to leaving or returning to Canada, it is only that. Working outside of Canada does not involve any charter rights, only the right to return to the country.
North Shore wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 am

Interesting...I think that it would have to be done on the quiet, otherwise, don't 'they' open themselves up to a Charter challenge on Freedom of Movement (section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights)?
Section 6: 6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. IANAL, but that seems pretty cut-and-dried, no? Or am I reading too much into it, thinking that the Government has no right to interfere with your mobility?
We are at the point where the Charter can be considered Parchment Rights. Just words on paper that really mean nothing. The Constitution has effectively crumbled that use to give those Rights written on paper some meaning. Antonin Scalia warned about this very thing in a great speech.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:46 pm
negative_g wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 pm The best options are likely corporate 135 jobs.

It's funny how some law firms say that mostly all pilots can easily get the NIW and others say no chance. The cost I have been quoted for the NIW 2 step process (I-140 and then, if approved, DS-260 for all family members) with filing fees is close to $20,000 CAD so it is a huge risk to take with no guarantees.
I know a few pilots that have been successful with pretty run of the mill resumes. USCIS has been aggressive at handing out reclaimed Green Cards. They even posted a Notice on the MYUSCIS website asking all eligible people and companies to apply so they can fill the reclaimed Green Cards. They have even been issuing without interviews.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Negative G is correct. The only caveat.... Most places won't direct sponsor for EB-3. An employee can leave 6 months after filing even if the Green Card hasn't been issued. So it's too risky for most companies. Most will transition from a immigrant work visa (H1B or similar) to a EB-3 after a requisite amount of time. 2 years seems to be the norm.

It's also possible to transition from a non-immigrant work visa (TN, E-3, etc) but it requires that you had no intent to immigrate when you received the original visa and a minimum 90 days in the US before you form the intent to immigrate.

Other avenues that are overlooked are your spouse's credentials. They may have a high demand skill set and/or degree and can get their own visa. In which case they can go through the process and you will receive a Green Card with them.

planesorwtv
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by planesorwtv »

Does anyone know what type of Visa this is?

The only issue or biggest risk is the type of visa - If your visa is conditional on a specific employer hiring you and not a full green card you'd be stuck with them for 5 years until you can apply for citizenship or a full green card.

This issue of being tied to the employer is not that big of a deal because you're still way better off, but if ever they cancel your visa you're in trouble.

During Covid I know if 3 of my non pilot acquantancese who were laid off and then had their Visas canceled. They could not legally find another job in the US as their visa was conditional on them working for the employer. This is generally more of an issue for non-union people because the employer can just abuse you and if you quit you have to leave the country.

Can anyone confirm what type of Visa they are offering? Is it a green card?

I'm doing the conversion course next week, Canada just absolutely sucks.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Anyone else here hear back from Brookfield or even potentially Frontier yet?

kgb531
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kgb531 »

Read Section 1 slowly and then reread it again.
It is that simple.
Need something interpreted? Ask a constitutional lawyer. They and the SCOC will give you the facts and the law. Nobody else.
BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 pm
North Shore wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:24 pm

We are at the point where the Charter can be considered Parchment Rights. Just words on paper that really mean nothing. The Constitution has effectively crumbled that use to give those Rights written on paper some meaning. Antonin Scalia warned about this very thing in a great speech.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

negative_g wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 am Anyone else here hear back from Brookfield or even potentially Frontier yet?
I did, they seem interested but require the FAA ATP to interview. I have roughly 2500 hours and am left seat at jazz.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 am
negative_g wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 am Anyone else here hear back from Brookfield or even potentially Frontier yet?
I did, they seem interested but require the FAA ATP to interview. I have roughly 2500 hours and am left seat at jazz.
Was this from Frontier themselves or Brookfield?

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

RockSalty wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 am
Was this from Frontier themselves or Brookfield?
Most of my communication has been with Brookfield. Was told my file would be sent to Frontier. Just was wondering if anyone had heard back past the initial contact with Brookfield and sending docs. Or from Frontier yet about an interview or the visa being offered.

Last edited by negative_g on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Brookfield already told me I have to have the FAA ATP in hand to start things, just wanted to see if anyone had frontiers take on things

Return to “General Comments”