All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

This has been happening for a few years in helicopters. I knew this would ramp up on the fixed wing side as well. I think the Canadian government couldn’t give a crap about this industry.
---------- ADS -----------

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Friend of a friend spoke with recruiting at Frontier. Although the Visa application isn't guaranteed to be successful, they are serious about hiring Canadians. If you at all interested and meet the requirements go ahead and apply. I believe you can skip the middleman and apply directly on the Frontier website.
Good luck to all!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I know of a Canadian who went to Frontier several years ago. I believe his wife was an American citizen which would have made it much easier. He’s paid very well compared to the crap we get in Canukistan.

Let’s Go Brandon
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:28 am This has been happening for a few years in helicopters. I knew this would ramp up on the fixed wing side as well. I think the Canadian government couldn’t give a crap about this industry.
I see a good chance they try to block it. They are cool with TFW's coming in, but that's not a stable enough source for a lot of the worse off jobs up north.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

newlygrounded wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:28 am This has been happening for a few years in helicopters. I knew this would ramp up on the fixed wing side as well. I think the Canadian government couldn’t give a crap about this industry.
I see a good chance they try to block it. They are cool with TFW's coming in, but that's not a stable enough source for a lot of the worse off jobs up north.
There’s always some low time ass hat that will work for nothing

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm applying. Even though it's a ULCC, the pay outside of first year is higher than the highest paying airline in Canada. It might not be for everyone, but it's great for a guy like me that only wants to give 15-20 years tops and would rather have far more money to work with up front rather than maybe only the last few years.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Why don’t some of you guys complain to your MP’s about TFW’s re low wages, instead of complaining here (about small businesses) who aren't ever the price setters, for fares or wages? Small businesses just follow. They don’t set the market. If they pay too much, can’t raise fares — those are set by Humpty and Dumpty.

You all know this is orchestrated by the government — temporary workers— and the big guys as policy to suppress inflation — right?

You’re getting screwed. Stop voting for those who are screwing you.

Vote. Write letters. Call your MP. March.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

March. Then get arrested and have your bank account frozen...

kgb531
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kgb531 »

Charter 6 rights apply to interprovincial travel for living and work. As to leaving or returning to Canada, it is only that. Working outside of Canada does not involve any charter rights, only the right to return to the country.
North Shore wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 am
DanWEC wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
Interesting...I think that it would have to be done on the quiet, otherwise, don't 'they' open themselves up to a Charter challenge on Freedom of Movement (section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights)?

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 am
They'll just petition US/CAN labour to seal the gate while addressing their current short term 'shortages' with immigrant pilots, exactly what their petitioning against. Then likely start hiring from South Asia (as the Federal government seems to have a preference for immigrants from that region).

Already happening. Now, this is heresy only from the people I've been working with, but there is currently activity in the US around expanding the E-3 Visa program to a plethora of countries including Canada. Currently it's only Australia, with India pending. What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
ALPA is actively opposing the E-3 program for pilots, and have had some success.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:05 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 am
They'll just petition US/CAN labour to seal the gate while addressing their current short term 'shortages' with immigrant pilots, exactly what their petitioning against. Then likely start hiring from South Asia (as the Federal government seems to have a preference for immigrants from that region).

Already happening. Now, this is heresy only from the people I've been working with, but there is currently activity in the US around expanding the E-3 Visa program to a plethora of countries including Canada. Currently it's only Australia, with India pending. What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
ALPA is actively opposing the E-3 program for pilots, and have had some success.
They've done a great job in the U.S at raising working conditions at the cost of not having nearly enough crew to meet normal staffing levels during a oeriod of inflated growth.

At some point you gotta realize you squeezed the fruit for all she's got, and move on.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:21 pm

They've done a great job in the U.S at raising working conditions at the cost of not having nearly enough crew to meet normal staffing levels during a oeriod of inflated growth.

At some point you gotta realize you squeezed the fruit for all she's got, and move on.
I don't think ALPA will take their foot of the pedal, regardless of the quality of the argument. The ad has been taken down as well.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:21 pm

I don't think ALPA will take their foot of the pedal, regardless of the quality of the argument. The ad has been taken down as well.
Agreed, and yeah, a buddy and I were laughing about the ad being taken down. Likely got a few groundschools of flat pay AC guys with fresh 320 ratings applying and decided to close up shop knowing how devastating the current AC contract is.

I see it as a good sign that it was posted at all to begin with, like smoke in fresh tinder, the ember is burning as operators begin exploring their options.

While it may take time, I believe this will become the normal down there, as long as Canadian pilots don't go selling themselves short, scabbing and ruining the progress of US unions. Our market thankfully would barely make a supply dent.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Which ad? This is very much still here....

https://pilotsdb.brookfieldav.com/job/0 ... work-in-US

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

DanWEC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:12 pm Which ad? This is very much still here....

https://pilotsdb.brookfieldav.com/job/0 ... work-in-US
Thanks,

OP link is not working.

Lots of Canadians down here flying already. People have found their own way. This will expedite an exodus for those who aren't otherwise able to obtain work authorization.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

This thread has fizzled, but I'd still rather see it on top than people complaining about politics that are no longer related to our industry.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I guess they require the FAA medical/ATP before interviewing? I was hoping Frontier would pay for it after sending the offer over.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:51 am I guess they require the FAA medical/ATP before interviewing? I was hoping Frontier would pay for it after sending the offer over.
A moticum of effort is required on the applicants part lol

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:51 am I guess they require the FAA medical/ATP before interviewing? I was hoping Frontier would pay for it after sending the offer over.
I imagine that due to the intricacies of getting Canadians approved for visas, the company needs to show that you are already qualified. Unlike the E3 Australian visa which has no such requirement, and is basically a guaranteed approval.

I imagine ATP-CTP schools in the USA are going to start getting a flood of emails from Canadians. The doors are opening, even if it's just a crack. And it's good for everyone involved.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

I got in touch with them and they said the FAA ATP is a minimum requirement to move forward with it. I’m personally not ready to throw the money at the ATP/CTP sim course you need to get the rating converted if I don’t have something firm in writing - you’d think they could just interview and give you an offer conditional on getting our licenses converted over…

A buddy of mine was actually at a hiring event for frontier and the recruiters there had no idea about hiring Canadians (not that recruiters know everything so I hear).

Return to “General Comments”