All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Just another canuck wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 am
172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:30 am
Just another canuck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:26 am

My NIW application passed. A colleague of mine also had his pass. The only thing standing between us and a green card is a medical and interview at the consulate. The major hurdle was the NIW petition.

That being said, there have been many pilots who have had their applications rejected. And the decision process seems quite random. Some more experienced pilots have been unsuccessful while their less experienced colleagues have had success. In no way am I saying this is a sure thing. Far from it. But it does work.
I dont doubt that there have been successful cases getting approved lately, but feel that some in this thread think that it is something that will open the flood gates for a flow down south. All this information should be taken with a grain of salt because like you said, its not a sure thing. Lawyers will take advantage of those looking to apply, which may not be favourable for those paying mortgages, kids etc.

Curious though, did you use a firm or all on your own? Are you considering following through on it?
I agree with you. I did use a law firm and the amount of approvals they have are still only in the double digits and they represent clients worldwide. If you find a law firm who calls it a sure thing, run. The law firm I used explicitly states it is not a sure thing and will not accept you as a client if they do not think you have an above average shot at success. They want a high success rate so they can advertise it as such.

At this point and unless things change at USCIS, I will not be following through on my green card application. Unfortunately, between the time I applied and the time I received my notice of approval for my NIW petition, the medical requirements changed with regards to the COVID vaccine. When we started the process, all green card applicants aged 12 (or maybe it was 16, can’t remember) and older were required to be vaccinated against COVID. Late last summer that requirement was lowered to age 6 months and older. Because my children would now be required to be injected with a mRNA vaccine, I can not continue with the process as I am not comfortable with the risk. I’m not trying to start a debate about vaccines, just providing information. You can petition for a waiver based on moral or religious grounds, but that would cost even more money and would very likely end in disappointment. With millions of people immigrating to the U.S. every year, you either follow the rules or don’t come. There are others in line who are willing. I was hoping the requirement would be discarded with the end of the COVID emergency, but with the vaccines now being added by the CDC to the routine vaccines, I believe it to be unlikely that will happen.

Again, not trying to start a COVID vax debate. Just providing information. If you are not vaccinated against COVID, you will not get the green light from the medical examiner. If you don’t have that, you will not get an interview at the consulate. If you have children you are planning on bringing with you and they are not vaccinated against COVID and you will not subject them to it, don’t bother starting the process.

For me it will have been a waste of money if the requirement is not removed, but such is life. If the cost of this will break you, then you shouldn’t be considering it in the first place.
I appreciate your insight and understand your reasoning.

It will be interesting to see if the FAA clamps down on this NIW pathway with the USCIS to promote more hiring and training within the USA. Past climates, especially on the Trump admin side seemed to want to really slow down the immigration intakes in all categories. I think this will be a big election point (not aviation exclusive) for 2024. And FWIW, the American flight crew are Ive spoken with are a bit upset at the thought of Canadians trying to go down south, even though they already got their seniority #.....oh well.

I am surprised my attorney never brought up the NIW when I applied for my green card back in 2021. However, things were still slow in the airline side due to restrictions and probably didnt have much of a shot, if any, without the recommended experience and accolades. I have my visa interview next week in montreal and am happy to finally have a path to be on one side of the border.
---------- ADS -----------

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Just another canuck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:26 am

My NIW application passed. A colleague of mine also had his pass. The only thing standing between us and a green card is a medical and interview at the consulate. The major hurdle was the NIW petition.

That being said, there have been many pilots who have had their applications rejected. And the decision process seems quite random. Some more experienced pilots have been unsuccessful while their less experienced colleagues have had success. In no way am I saying this is a sure thing. Far from it. But it does work.
I dont doubt that there have been successful cases getting approved lately, but feel that some in this thread think that it is something that will open the flood gates for a flow down south. All this information should be taken with a grain of salt because like you said, its not a sure thing. Lawyers will take advantage of those looking to apply, which may not be favourable for those paying mortgages, kids etc.

Curious though, did you use a firm or all on your own? Are you considering following through on it?
I agree with you. I did use a law firm and the amount of approvals they have are still only in the double digits and they represent clients worldwide. If you find a law firm who calls it a sure thing, run. The law firm I used explicitly states it is not a sure thing and will not accept you as a client if they do not think you have an above average shot at success. They want a high success rate so they can advertise it as such.

At this point and unless things change at USCIS, I will not be following through on my green card application. Unfortunately, between the time I applied and the time I received my notice of approval for my NIW petition, the medical requirements changed with regards to the COVID vaccine. When we started the process, all green card applicants aged 12 (or maybe it was 16, can’t remember) and older were required to be vaccinated against COVID. Late last summer that requirement was lowered to age 6 months and older. Because my children would now be required to be injected with a mRNA vaccine, I can not continue with the process as I am not comfortable with the risk. I’m not trying to start a debate about vaccines, just providing information. You can petition for a waiver based on moral or religious grounds, but that would cost even more money and would very likely end in disappointment. With millions of people immigrating to the U.S. every year, you either follow the rules or don’t come. There are others in line who are willing. I was hoping the requirement would be discarded with the end of the COVID emergency, but with the vaccines now being added by the CDC to the routine vaccines, I believe it to be unlikely that will happen.

Again, not trying to start a COVID vax debate. Just providing information. If you are not vaccinated against COVID, you will not get the green light from the medical examiner. If you don’t have that, you will not get an interview at the consulate. If you have children you are planning on bringing with you and they are not vaccinated against COVID and you will not subject them to it, don’t bother starting the process.

For me it will have been a waste of money if the requirement is not removed, but such is life. If the cost of this will break you, then you shouldn’t be considering it in the first place.
You can put your wife and kids on "follow to join" and decide later. You can also use your green card in commuter status and commute from Canada to the US.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:17 pm

You can put your wife and kids on "follow to join" and decide later. You can also use your green card in commuter status and commute from Canada to the US.
True. Do 10 years in the U.S, and figure out where the country is at that time. Seems operators have some sort of either commuting or home based option (Corporate). I know Netjets and Flexjet do this and pay decently well. If you can get in with any of the major 5, your career is on autopilot.

Only hard part is dealing with making that money and not benefitting from the lower taxes there.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Stinky wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:17 pm

I’m still considering the first option. Playing it a day/month at a time right now. I will not commute. I don’t even like the commute I have now and where I live would not work well.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
rtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rtpilot »

I would love to fly for one the airlines..again. I just can't afford to move to the big cities, or even on the outskirts. That's the real tragedy for me.

Man I've tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

My unpopular opinion:

Its not (primarily) pay.

Its housing costs.

There is only one place to take the blame for that.

El_Capitano
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by El_Capitano »

Has anybody here successfully converted TC to FAA and scored an airline job in the US? I recognize from the first post that it could be ~$6000 USD to convert, but would a single guy (who can move anywhere) with 1500+ hours and an ATPL have a shot realistically at sponsorship/a VISA and a job, or nah?

"American Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, has announced plans to pay its pilots up to $590,000 per year." ... "Captains will see their maximum pay increase from $258,100 to $300,000 per year, while first officers will see their maximum pay increase from $156,900 to $230,000 per year."

...and even if the above is fake news, it seems like you make a ton more South of the border wherever you go...

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

El_Capitano wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm would a single guy (who can move anywhere) with 1500+ hours and an ATPL have a shot realistically at sponsorship/a VISA and a job, or nah?
Nah. People with 1500 hours an wet ink on their ATPL are a dime a dozen. What sets you apart from them? Likely when you have an extra zero on the end you'll be competitive.

It would be faster for you to live in Niagara Falls, tinder date across the border until you find one you want to marry. :smt040

El_Capitano
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by El_Capitano »

Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:08 pm
El_Capitano wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm would a single guy (who can move anywhere) with 1500+ hours and an ATPL have a shot realistically at sponsorship/a VISA and a job, or nah?
Nah. People with 1500 hours an wet ink on their ATPL are a dime a dozen. What sets you apart from them? Likely when you have an extra zero on the end you'll be competitive.

It would be faster for you to live in Niagara Falls, tinder date across the border until you find one you want to marry. :smt040
Roger. I'll stock up on Bills gear and become a regular at all the Targets and Trader Joe's in Tonawanda. #billsmafia

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

El_Capitano wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm Has anybody here successfully converted TC to FAA and scored an airline job in the US? I recognize from the first post that it could be ~$6000 USD to convert, but would a single guy (who can move anywhere) with 1500+ hours and an ATPL have a shot realistically at sponsorship/a VISA and a job, or nah?

"American Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, has announced plans to pay its pilots up to $590,000 per year." ... "Captains will see their maximum pay increase from $258,100 to $300,000 per year, while first officers will see their maximum pay increase from $156,900 to $230,000 per year."

...and even if the above is fake news, it seems like you make a ton more South of the border wherever you go...
If you already had the right to work in the US then easily. If not then at this time no, not likely to find an airline job to sponsor you. Maybe a bizjet job or a king air operation is getting desperate enough to sponsor but not airlines yet and not for fresh 1500.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

El_Capitano wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm Has anybody here successfully converted TC to FAA and scored an airline job in the US?

I have.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:29 am
El_Capitano wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm Has anybody here successfully converted TC to FAA and scored an airline job in the US? I recognize from the first post that it could be ~$6000 USD to convert, but would a single guy (who can move anywhere) with 1500+ hours and an ATPL have a shot realistically at sponsorship/a VISA and a job, or nah?

If you already had the right to work in the US then easily. If not then at this time no, not likely to find an airline job to sponsor you. Maybe a bizjet job or a king air operation is getting desperate enough to sponsor but not airlines yet and not for fresh 1500.
At this point, nothing is sponsoring - every company reverts back to the NIW process as that is the only Visa that covers Canadian pilots looking to work. A company may wish to assist a pilot with covering the NIW costs, but that is risky as there is no way to legally lock the pilot in (bonds aren't enforceable in the U.S). You'll likely have to have a preexisting relationship with an owner or company to capture that kind of favour.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

https://stocks.apple.com/A5Wvdai5xSnGVJjBhwcypRg

The number of Canadian pilots seeking to fly in the United States tripled in 2022, according to previously unreported U.S. government data, raising fears of deepening shortages in Canada as pilots seek higher wages.
Some 147 Canadian pilots applied for licenses to fly commercial jets in the United States in 2022, up from 39 in 2021, according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) data. The number of overall foreign applications roughly doubled to 1,442.
High travel demand in the United States, where pilots are securing historic wage increases, isattracting foreign aviators, despite delays and high costs of immigrating, according to lawyers, unions and pilots.
While small, the increase in U.S. applications is worrisome for regional Canadian carriers, which like their U.S. counterparts, are wrestling with staffing shortages as they lose pilots to larger airlines, industry experts say.
It could also put pressure on Air Canada (AC.TO) during negotiations with its pilots, whose contract expires on September 29.
Air Canada said this week it would halt six non-stop flights from Calgary at the end of October because of "resource pressures" due to an industry wide shortage of regional pilots.
"It's definitely a concern," said John Gradek, a faculty lecturer in aviation management at McGill University in Montreal.
At Sunwing Airlines, at least 10% of the roughly 490 pilots are applying to work in the U.S., said Mark Taylor, president of the Unifor union local, which represents aviators at the company.
Taylor said he has raised the issue with Sunwing, which didn't return requests for comment. Sunwing has been acquired by WestJet Airlines, which likewise did not respond to requests for comment.
Two Sunwing pilots, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they have not advised their employer of their plans, said they have obtained licenses to fly in the U.S. and are awaiting immigration paperwork to move, due to the higher pay and the high cost of living in Canada's large cities.
Attorney Jean-Francois Harvey said about 29% of the 560 foreign pilots he's helped over the last 12 months are Canadian and fly for Air Canada, WestJet and Sunwing.
Air Canada said it could not comment on "individual pilot career choices," but said it does not "have difficulty attracting pilots" to its main carrier.
According to Air Canada pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), the hourly pay gap between the Canadian carrier and United Airlines (UAL.O) is expected to grow from 3% in 2013 to 92% in 2024 for one category of experienced pilot. Air Canada pilots earned more before 2013.
Gradek warned that the "cascading effect" of larger airlines recruiting pilots away from smaller carriers would lead to reduced frequencies and service cuts on regional routes.
John McKenna, chief executive of the Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC), which represents smaller Canadian carriers, said his members are already cutting frequencies due to staffing shortages.
"Everyone is suffering right now," he said.

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

JHR wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:18 am "Everyone is suffering right now," he said.
Yeah those 200% raises in the boardroom at Air Canada scream suffering to me…

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Were not alone >the canadian tech employee ie software eng and the like on average 34 percent less than usa taking into account dollar exchange, cost of living also less stock otions and bonus for same talent. In canada blacks, asians and fillipinos ethnesity get short shafted, making 25 percent less according to a recent study done by metro toronto university . 66 percent were software eng students were looking at the usa after gradution. they also have easier time with immigration , they with legit job offer are included on the updated north american free trade agreement

PropDog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropDog »

Express2USA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!
So, did you ever get the TN visa to go to Frontier?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Funny. The Tn-1 visa does not list pilots as a valid profession for this visa.

So I’m gonna guess… No

PropDog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropDog »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:31 pm Funny. The Tn-1 visa does not list pilots as a valid profession for this visa.

So I’m gonna guess… No
Hey, be gentle while you crush my dreams

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

PropDog wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:13 pm
Express2USA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!
TN-1 is self sponsored and pilots are not currently on the professional trades list. If the company of interest has their lawyers working on it, it is an H1B. Totally different privileges, totally different process. Figuring out what visas are what is step 1.

PropDog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropDog »

yycflyguy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:38 pm
PropDog wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:13 pm
TN-1 is self sponsored and pilots are not currently on the professional trades list. If the company of interest has their lawyers working on it, it is an H1B. Totally different privileges, totally different process. Figuring out what visas are what is step 1.
A quick google search as shown that form I-129 for a TN visa may be filed on behalf of a Canadian outside of the United States by the employer. Kindly refer to “step 1”

Return to “General Comments”