All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by RockSalty »

Stinky wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:59 pm A little bit of hiring going on at JetBlue.
buddy of mine at JetBlue says those numbers are actually for Southwest
---------- ADS -----------

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Heisenberg666 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:01 pm I agree it shouldn’t be a TN visa. Have a look at their ad though. TN visa is stated on the bottom. I guess I’ll find out soon when I hear yay or nay.

https://pilotsdb.brookfieldav.com/job/0 ... 50-USD-P-M
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:45 am
Heisenberg666 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 am Has anyone done the interview and want to discuss/exchange info?
I recently had an interview and was wondering if anyone has figured out how they intend to proceed with visa sponsorship?
The ad has been updated to specify its a TN visa. From my understanding a TN visa is only eligible for professions that are on the NAFTA list (pilot is not one of them). They couldn't tell me much about that side of things, only that I would be in touch with their attorneys if successful.

Feel free to send a PM.
I doubt it's the TN visa. If that's the case we are about to see a bunch of US airlines hiring Canadians. If I remember correctly, back when I was a software developer you didn't even need sponsorship to get a visa with the TN. All you needed was a letter of offer to present to the immigration officer at the airport along with your education credentials.
In the ad it says TN or H1-B. I would think H1-B may make sense as the likes of Air Wisconsin and Atlas have used that in the past. Apparently there is a long wait for it though.

I applied to Ravn Alaska through Rishworth and they straight up told me the visa process is a self sponsored EB-2 NIW for USD $12000 out of pocket with no guarantee of success - no thanks.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I’m glad this thread exists, very constructive 👍🏼

Express2USA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Express2USA »

I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!

Express2USA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Express2USA »

Just to add to my post above:
Frontier is supposedly now offering a $35,000 sign on bonus if you stay for 3 years.
It is being offered starting on the Nov 28th course.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If the US government is putting pilot on the TN visa occupations list that is a huge win for Canadian pilots. Somehow I am skeptical though there is no way our government would allow that.

Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heisenberg666 »

Express2USA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!
Sending you a PM

withaflash
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by withaflash »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:03 am If the US government is putting pilot on the TN visa occupations list that is a huge win for Canadian pilots. Somehow I am skeptical though there is no way our government would allow that.
Looking at the list of occupations that qualify for TN visa, medical professionals are listed. Am sure Canada has a bigger medical crises than pilot shortage. Keep trying, it will come.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

This is the latest email I received from my lawyer today regarding the NIW...

I am glad to report that we are now receiving a steady stream of acceptation from USCIS. Most acceptations are now issued directly after submission and without RFE (Request for Further evidence). However, we also receive many RFEs, and sadly also some denials. While the denials represent a very small number, it is still frustrating on so many aspects. Notably the fact that some of the cases subject to denial have the same profile of cases that got accepted. This what we call the “human” factor and there is nothing we can do against it beside refiling.

In the same spirit, I would like to take this opportunity to provide an insight as to what happens when we receive a denial. First, our legal team reviews the USCIS officer’s grounds for refusal and if we find inconsistences, for instance, as mentioned above, when the denied pilot’s profile is comparable to those that have been approved, and if we believe there will be a strong chance of approval we may decide to re-file a new I-140 petition.

The reason we choose to re-file and not appeal a decision is a matter of timing and success rate. When filing an appeal, it is likely to take 12 to 18 months to receive a decision. However, with refiling it takes on average about 6-8 months.

Secondly, and more importantly, the determination for the National Interest Waiver is entirely at the discretion of USCIS. Hence, a vast majority of appeals result in siding with the initial officer’s decision to deny. On the flip side, you would be surprised to know that with refiling there is a real chance that USCIS could change its mind.

On another matter, as of today, USCIS does not accept premium processing requests for I-140 petitions filed after 1 February 2022. Since July 2022, USCIS has been phasing in premium processing for I-140 petitions and based on their previous announcement this expansion will likely continue. We are monitoring the situation closely and will duly notify you as soon as premium processing is available to our Pilots. For your information, once available, I-140 petitions can be processed within 45 calendar days for a fee of USD 2,500 which is in addition to all other fees.

Now, the question is would it be worth, once available, to spend USD 2,500 for such expedited services? We had a case accepted within 1 month, while another has taken 10 months – both without premium processing. One thing to bear in mind is that the time to respond is not an indication of the view USCIS has of the petition. Again, this goes back to the “human” factor we need to deal with.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:48 pm
Heisenberg666 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:01 pm I agree it shouldn’t be a TN visa. Have a look at their ad though. TN visa is stated on the bottom. I guess I’ll find out soon when I hear yay or nay.

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:45 am

I doubt it's the TN visa. If that's the case we are about to see a bunch of US airlines hiring Canadians. If I remember correctly, back when I was a software developer you didn't even need sponsorship to get a visa with the TN. All you needed was a letter of offer to present to the immigration officer at the airport along with your education credentials.
In the ad it says TN or H1-B. I would think H1-B may make sense as the likes of Air Wisconsin and Atlas have used that in the past. Apparently there is a long wait for it though.

I applied to Ravn Alaska through Rishworth and they straight up told me the visa process is a self sponsored EB-2 NIW for USD $12000 out of pocket with no guarantee of success - no thanks.
12,000$ to make double, if not more. 🤡

Seems like a pretty decent investment to me. No idea what Ravn Alaska is, but for guys thinking of the airlines you’re barely talking in terms of months to make up that 12,000$. Then depending on your age, maybe millions more income over the course of your careers.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:57 am

Seems like a pretty decent investment to me. No idea what Ravn Alaska is, but for guys thinking of the airlines you’re barely talking in terms of months to make up that 12,000$. Then depending on your age, maybe millions more income over the course of your careers.
Point is the EB-2 NIW is denied for most Canadian pilots unless they have over 5,000 hours and over 10 years flying work experience including heavy jet command/SIC. I was told by many independent law firms in the States including reputable ones such as Harvey Law Group that I would most likely be rejected by the USCIS however Rishworth had no problem taking my $12,000 USD to initiate the process.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:25 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:57 am

Point is the EB-2 NIW is denied for most Canadian pilots unless they have over 5,000 hours and over 10 years flying work experience including heavy jet command/SIC. I was told by many independent law firms in the States including reputable ones such as Harvey Law Group that I would most likely be rejected by the USCIS however Rishworth had no problem taking my $12,000 USD to initiate the process.
Thank you for the valuable information. Really appreciated!

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

My NIW was processed and accepted in under 4 months. Medical and interview next but the petition acceptance was the major hurdle. We’re still not sure if we’ll go but the process works.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Just another canuck wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm My NIW was processed and accepted in under 4 months. Medical and interview next but the petition acceptance was the major hurdle. We’re still not sure if we’ll go but the process works.
Out of curiosity what does your background look like?

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:27 pm
Just another canuck wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm My NIW was processed and accepted in under 4 months. Medical and interview next but the petition acceptance was the major hurdle. We’re still not sure if we’ll go but the process works.
10,000 hours, mostly PIC. Almost 20 years in the industry. Diverse background. Flown Boeing and Airbus.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Just another canuck wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:45 pm
10,000 hours, mostly PIC. Almost 20 years in the industry. Diverse background. Flown Boeing and Airbus.
Very impressive. Did you self petition or go through a law firm?

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:10 pm
Just another canuck wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:45 pm

Very impressive. Did you self petition or go through a law firm?
I used a law firm. I spoke with many law firms, around 10 probably. Some said I was crazy to think I would have a petition passed for a pilot, while some others guaranteed me a pass and wanted copious amounts of money. It’s important you do your own research so you can tell which is best for you and decided how much money you are willing to risk on the process.

That being said, there is more to it than just the legal fees and application fees. Once and if your petition passes, you will need to go to one of three major cities (with your family, if you have one) to get a medical. This is another 350 dollars a person plus flights and hotels if you don’t live in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. This will need to be done well in advance of your interview at the consulate in Montreal, where you may need to spend more money on flights and hotels.

Then of course, you have to go get an FAA ATP. Course 4000 USD. Exam was a couple hundred I think… can’t remember. Study guide 75 USD. Flights and hotels for a week. FAA examiner fee 400 USD.

It takes 2-3 months to get the whole package together, back and forth with the law firm. You’ll have to track down the appropriate people, likely HR, at all your old companies and get employment verification letters. You’ll need 6 letters of reference (at least). I spent a lot of time on these with my references and they are 3-4 pages each. Once the package is complete, the petition will be written for you review, which is likely to need a little editing. Once submitted, it took me just shy of 4 months to receive my approval. However, it can take much longer.

Go on to travel.state.gov and read everything there for the process after the petition is approved. It lists in detail the process for the medical and interview and what is required of you and your family.

The process works. Not for everybody. There are some people who have been approved with far less experience than me and some denied who have more. I think I had excellent reference letters and some other notables as well, such as having worked for US entities in the past. And obviously the airline experience.

Good luck should you wish to pursue it.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... e=hs_email

AIR TRANSPORT
ALPA Objects To ‘Alarming Increase’ in U.S. Visas for Pilots
by Gregory Polek
- November 16, 2022, 3:39 PM

Jyfi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jyfi »

its hard to sit here and pay my dues when the union seems like its working aginst the intrest of it members....

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Meanwhile in Canada, here come the TFWs

Return to “General Comments”