All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by JHR »

Well boys, here we go. This is just the beginning. Last one to leave please turn out the lights!

https://www.glassdoor.ca/job-listing/ca ... 8060448866

This is the airline

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... r_airlines

Here is a very accurate article with instructions on converting your TC to FAA

https://skiesmag.com/news/transport-can ... icate/?amp
---------- ADS -----------

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by goingmissed »

Hopefully this will spark pay increases across the Canadian aviation industry.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

My prediction came true. Goodbye NIW process.

Sad when the U.S' "worst" LCC airline effectively has a similar package to Canada's best (well I'd say better to start). 81k USD to start (if you're commuting that 100K CAD ish), jumping to 115K USD Yr 2, then upgrade to over 200K USD year 3 with a 15% contribution to your 401k on your behalf. And I say again....this is by no means a top rated U.S package.

I feel there are a lot of on the fence AC guys suddenly wishing they did their ATP over COVID.

I'm throwing in an application to figure out what's what, but this is awesome for the Canadian industry as a whole. This leaves the potential open for many other airlines (the better ones) to do the same as they are ALL struggling right now to crew jets.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

So how are they dealing with the work permits. An operation that size likely would have talked to immigration I assumed? Is this a 'guaranteed' work visa if you get hired?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Too many questions, too new of a posting.

Guaranteed no one has any firm details on this site or in Canada yet.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Our Canadian airlines will simply start sponsoring pilots from third world countries in the event of a mass exodus.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

JHR wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:15 am Our Canadian airlines will simply start sponsoring pilots from third world countries in the event of a mass exodus.

Yup! And they’ll Put college kids in jets.

Huge systemic changes need to happen from the individuals mindset to unions. Also, the culture of self sacrifice which many of our own colleagues champion needs to end.

This will help though .

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Interesting times!

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

And the exodus begins...

I wanna see Canadian airlines beg us to stay

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

pitottubey wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 am And the exodus begins...

I wanna see Canadian airlines beg us to stay
They'll just petition US/CAN labour to seal the gate while addressing their current short term 'shortages' with immigrant pilots, exactly what their petitioning against. Then likely start hiring from South Asia (as the Federal government seems to have a preference for immigrants from that region).

Air Canada in 5 years time will look like the Tim Hortons on Derry Rd.

Olive branch: I say that as a tongue and cheek observation to the fact that transportation, security, fast food, and general labour in and around high density areas such as the major hubs is heavily dominated by people of south asian decent.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

digits_ wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:12 am So how are they dealing with the work permits. An operation that size likely would have talked to immigration I assumed? Is this a 'guaranteed' work visa if you get hired?
I'm sure that they got their ducks in a row wrt visas/immigration before putting the job up

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

And:
1500 TT hours, with at least 750 hours of multi-engine fixed-wing and 500 PIC hours
A great wailing and gnashing of teeth was heard coming from the right seat of many airliners, as the F/Os realize that PIC does, indeed, count...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 am
They'll just petition US/CAN labour to seal the gate while addressing their current short term 'shortages' with immigrant pilots, exactly what their petitioning against. Then likely start hiring from South Asia (as the Federal government seems to have a preference for immigrants from that region).

Already happening. Now, this is heresy only from the people I've been working with, but there is currently activity in the US around expanding the E-3 Visa program to a plethora of countries including Canada. Currently it's only Australia, with India pending. What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
Interesting...I think that it would have to be done on the quiet, otherwise, don't 'they' open themselves up to a Charter challenge on Freedom of Movement (section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights)?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

North Shore wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 am
DanWEC wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am What I've heard (Again... only heard) is that there is already a pushback being planned on the Canadian side. By whom? Not sure, but my guess is ATAC, in turn lobbying the Canadian Ministry of Labour, and/or Transport.
Interesting...I think that it would have to be done on the quiet, otherwise, don't 'they' open themselves up to a Charter challenge on Freedom of Movement (section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights)?
Wouldn't that also set a precident for other industries such as doctors and nurses? If they want to blockade pilots from leaving, they surely would want to blockade doctors and nurses from leaving also, given the terrible shortages that have existed for a long, long time... I don't think these rumours will hold any value, it's about time this is happening and I hope it goes full force, it'll benefit those who leave and hopefully those who stay also

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Most definitely, this is why there's nothing whatsoever in writing that I can find anywhere, yet based on my efforts and conversations, I'm highly suspicious of some standing verbal agreements in place between bureaucrats. It's a rumour only, and one I can't prove, but I'd be more surprised to hear if it didn't exist than if it did.

Last edited by DanWEC on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

twa22 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 am
North Shore wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 am
Wouldn't that also set a precident for other industries such as doctors and nurses? If they want to blockade pilots from leaving, they surely would want to blockade doctors and nurses from leaving also, given the terrible shortages that have existed for a long, long time... I don't think these rumours will hold any value, it's about time this is happening and I hope it goes full force, it'll benefit those who leave and hopefully those who stay also
I do not believe that industry is federally regulated...

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Imagine our government trampling charter rights 🤔

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

This is still a third party called Brookfield Aviation in the UK.

The job posting on their website states: **International candidates from any nationality with Green Card or Employment Authorization only will be consider**

The bottom of the main page of their site under USA Jobs talks about the NIW Visa. Seems like another company trying to collect fees for visa applications, resume reviews, etc..
-

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Stinky wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm This is still a third party called Brookfield Aviation in the UK.

The job posting on their website states: **International candidates from any nationality with Green Card or Employment Authorization only will be consider**

The bottom of the main page of their site under USA Jobs talks about the NIW Visa. Seems like another company trying to collect fees for visa applications, resume reviews, etc..
-
The 'Visa Sponsorship for Canadians' hits different, and this likely being for Frontier differentiates this Brookfield ad from your typical LinkedIn FSI 'Work in the USA' garbage. Also no 1500 hr wonder would qualify for NIW...

It sort of reads like this may be for a YYZ base, but terribly unclear.

Min NIW qualifications is 10 years industry experience plus shuttle time, volunteering with mother theresa and ghandi, references from former Presidents...Doctorate in aviation doesnt hurt.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”