All you underpaid airline pilots...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: All you underpaid airline pilots...

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

I think the other thing to consider with studying it’s much easier in Canada to gain permanent residency than the US. So many foreign pilots can just as easily study flight training, instruct and complete the process to get their residency here.
If the US had the same set up, even with a high education cost, I could see many including myself going there.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Jyfi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:56 pm its hard to sit here and pay my dues when the union seems like its working aginst the intrest of it members....
If the application is coming from an active ALPA member (Non-US) for an employment visa at a US ALPA represented carrier - there should be NO ALPA OBJECTION!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 pm I think the other thing to consider with studying it’s much easier in Canada to gain permanent residency than the US. So many foreign pilots can just as easily study flight training, instruct and complete the process to get their residency here.
If the US had the same set up, even with a high education cost, I could see many including myself going there.
USA is much more protective of its domestic workforce than Canada especially under this government.

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

WestJet Puke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:45 pm https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... e=hs_email

AIR TRANSPORT
ALPA Objects To ‘Alarming Increase’ in U.S. Visas for Pilots
by Gregory Polek
- November 16, 2022, 3:39 PM
Certainly shows the sentiment but the article only mentions the H1-B and E-3 Visas, not the EB-2 which seems to be the route most Canadians are going.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

peakbagger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 am
WestJet Puke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:45 pm https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... e=hs_email

AIR TRANSPORT
ALPA Objects To ‘Alarming Increase’ in U.S. Visas for Pilots
by Gregory Polek
- November 16, 2022, 3:39 PM
Certainly shows the sentiment but the article only mentions the H1-B and E-3 Visas, not the EB-2 which seems to be the route most Canadians are going.
H1-B, E-3 and others like it are directly related to the airline or any employer in whatever industry is seeking them. The EB-2 NIW is only through USCIS. It has nothing to do with any employer. ALPA likely has significant lobbying power over work based visas but much less with regards to the NIW route. ALPA and those it represents doesn’t even know pilots are applying.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Express2USA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!
Did you get in on the TN visa?

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Stinky wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:32 am
Express2USA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm I just stumbled across this forum and topic today and this is my first post as I see a lot of discussion regarding Frontier.
I interviewed last month and have a CJO pending approval of the TN-1 visa in which their lawyer is working on. I am hopeful but also a bit skeptical on if it will be approved at the border when crossing. I am hoping to be on the Nov 28th course if not that then the Dec 27th course.
If anyone else has been hired by Frontier and on one of these courses please PM me.
I will not discuss anything further on this forum until I am successful at getting my visa from Frontier as I will believe it when I see it.
But I can confirm they are definitely willing and interested in hiring Canadian Pilots!!
Did you get in on the TN visa?
The TN visa is very specific about what jobs it is for, I highly doubt they'd be able to get someone in on a flying job with a TN

withaflash
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by withaflash »

78ED7C4B-2761-4EC2-9B0B-1525A7B962F9.jpeg
78ED7C4B-2761-4EC2-9B0B-1525A7B962F9.jpeg (252.3 KiB) Viewed 3867 times

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Probably still hoping only for candidates who qualify for E3.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:47 pm
BE02 Driver wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:18 pm
Just another canuck wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:27 am

This is precisely what I would like to know. I believe Atlas was doing EB-2's which also take 18+ months. H1B is gamble too. If something goes sideways, you go home.
EB-3 visas are quick as long as you are Canadian born. Mine was less than 4 months. Citizenship doesn't matter, place of birth does for priority date. Canadian born applicants are current, so processed immediately.
Correct me if I’m wrong, however EB-3 visas are sponsored by an employer? So you would have to find an airline going along with this visa process? Thanks!
Yes, or a spouse that has better opportunities and drag you along.....

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

stazeclop04 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:57 pm pilots are labor who are paid an hourly wage per hour of flight time. There is a very wide range in pay per hour, from less than $30 with smaller airlines
What does this add to the conversation?

lvf_abv_clouds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lvf_abv_clouds »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 pm I think the other thing to consider with studying it’s much easier in Canada to gain permanent residency than the US. So many foreign pilots can just as easily study flight training, instruct and complete the process to get their residency here.

Last edited by lvf_abv_clouds on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

The NIW approvals are rolling in. I know of 9 pilots from a variety of Canadian airlines who have been approved!
Now is the time if you are serious about it!!

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

JHR wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:07 pm The NIW approvals are rolling in. I know of 9 pilots from a variety of Canadian airlines who have been approved!
Care to elaborate on that? Which American airlines are sponsoring Canadians for NIW visas at present?

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Cavalier44 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:21 am
JHR wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:07 pm The NIW approvals are rolling in. I know of 9 pilots from a variety of Canadian airlines who have been approved!
Care to elaborate on that? Which American airlines are sponsoring Canadians for NIW visas at present?
That’s the difference between an NIW and the others. There is no requirement to have a job offer to be successful. You can get a green card then apply for jobs afterwards.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

The rumor that Commercial Pilots qualify for an NIW based on the pilot shortage is false. There is no “Pilot Green Card”. Commercial pilots need to typically be sponsored by an employer for an employment visa and they can also be sponsored by an employer for a green card. Certain airlines occasionally are sponsoring foreign pilots for H1B visas through the H1B lottery. To qualify for an NIW a pilot must have additional skills and qualifications that would be deemed to be in the national interest and they would need to have a letter from a U.S. employer expressing an interest in hiring them in that capacity (instructor, safety, accident investigation, etc.). We have received hundreds of inquiries from pilots but only a handful have any chance of success. Where the confusion lies is that there were articles published that suggested pilots meet the exceptional ability standards without an advanced degree. While that may be the case, meeting the exceptional ability criteria is just the beginning. From there the pilot needs to either be sponsored (EB2 – PERM) or if they can satisfy the requirements to qualify under the national interest, they can self sponsor. Flying for a commercial carrier is not in the national interest.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:09 am
The rumor that Commercial Pilots qualify for an NIW based on the pilot shortage is false. There is no “Pilot Green Card”. Commercial pilots need to typically be sponsored by an employer for an employment visa and they can also be sponsored by an employer for a green card. Certain airlines occasionally are sponsoring foreign pilots for H1B visas through the H1B lottery. To qualify for an NIW a pilot must have additional skills and qualifications that would be deemed to be in the national interest and they would need to have a letter from a U.S. employer expressing an interest in hiring them in that capacity (instructor, safety, accident investigation, etc.). We have received hundreds of inquiries from pilots but only a handful have any chance of success. Where the confusion lies is that there were articles published that suggested pilots meet the exceptional ability standards without an advanced degree. While that may be the case, meeting the exceptional ability criteria is just the beginning. From there the pilot needs to either be sponsored (EB2 – PERM) or if they can satisfy the requirements to qualify under the national interest, they can self sponsor. Flying for a commercial carrier is not in the national interest.
My NIW application passed. A colleague of mine also had his pass. The only thing standing between us and a green card is a medical and interview at the consulate. The major hurdle was the NIW petition.

That being said, there have been many pilots who have had their applications rejected. And the decision process seems quite random. Some more experienced pilots have been unsuccessful while their less experienced colleagues have had success. In no way am I saying this is a sure thing. Far from it. But it does work.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Just another canuck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:26 am
My NIW application passed. A colleague of mine also had his pass. The only thing standing between us and a green card is a medical and interview at the consulate. The major hurdle was the NIW petition.

That being said, there have been many pilots who have had their applications rejected. And the decision process seems quite random. Some more experienced pilots have been unsuccessful while their less experienced colleagues have had success. In no way am I saying this is a sure thing. Far from it. But it does work.
I dont doubt that there have been successful cases getting approved lately, but feel that some in this thread think that it is something that will open the flood gates for a flow down south. All this information should be taken with a grain of salt because like you said, its not a sure thing. Lawyers will take advantage of those looking to apply, which may not be favourable for those paying mortgages, kids etc.

Curious though, did you use a firm or all on your own? Are you considering following through on it?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

It is by no means a slam dunk but it has been proving quite successful.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:30 am
Just another canuck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:26 am

I dont doubt that there have been successful cases getting approved lately, but feel that some in this thread think that it is something that will open the flood gates for a flow down south. All this information should be taken with a grain of salt because like you said, its not a sure thing. Lawyers will take advantage of those looking to apply, which may not be favourable for those paying mortgages, kids etc.

Curious though, did you use a firm or all on your own? Are you considering following through on it?
I agree with you. I did use a law firm and the amount of approvals they have are still only in the double digits and they represent clients worldwide. If you find a law firm who calls it a sure thing, run. The law firm I used explicitly states it is not a sure thing and will not accept you as a client if they do not think you have an above average shot at success. They want a high success rate so they can advertise it as such.

At this point and unless things change at USCIS, I will not be following through on my green card application. Unfortunately, between the time I applied and the time I received my notice of approval for my NIW petition, the medical requirements changed with regards to the COVID vaccine. When we started the process, all green card applicants aged 12 (or maybe it was 16, can’t remember) and older were required to be vaccinated against COVID. Late last summer that requirement was lowered to age 6 months and older. Because my children would now be required to be injected with a mRNA vaccine, I can not continue with the process as I am not comfortable with the risk. I’m not trying to start a debate about vaccines, just providing information. You can petition for a waiver based on moral or religious grounds, but that would cost even more money and would very likely end in disappointment. With millions of people immigrating to the U.S. every year, you either follow the rules or don’t come. There are others in line who are willing. I was hoping the requirement would be discarded with the end of the COVID emergency, but with the vaccines now being added by the CDC to the routine vaccines, I believe it to be unlikely that will happen.

Again, not trying to start a COVID vax debate. Just providing information. If you are not vaccinated against COVID, you will not get the green light from the medical examiner. If you don’t have that, you will not get an interview at the consulate. If you have children you are planning on bringing with you and they are not vaccinated against COVID and you will not subject them to it, don’t bother starting the process.

For me it will have been a waste of money if the requirement is not removed, but such is life. If the cost of this will break you, then you shouldn’t be considering it in the first place.

Return to “General Comments”