RTO Due to Fumes

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

RTO Due to Fumes

Post by pelmet »

I seem to read about fume events after de-icing and now due to a compressor wash. I wonder if it is something that should be discussed as a possibility in the briefing before takeoff. Might result in such an event being expected rather than unexpected.....

C-GTXM, a Learjet 35A aircraft operated by Top Aces Inc. as BRUSR01, was conducting a flight
from Halifax Stanfield Intl (CYHZ), NS to Bagotville airport (CYBG), QC. During the takeoff run in
CYHZ, the crew aborted the take off at about 120 knots due to fumes in the cockpit. ARFF
responded. The aircraft taxied back to the ramp without further incident.
Maintenance determined that the odour was caused by residual fluid from the compressor wash
completed several days prior to the incident. Engine runs were carried out, and the aircraft was
returned to service.
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: RTO Due to Fumes

Post by lownslow »

pelmet wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 am I seem to read about fume events after de-icing and now due to a compressor wash. I wonder if it is something that should be discussed as a possibility in the briefing before takeoff. Might result in such an event being expected rather than unexpected.....
On the other hand, it chips away at safety if you expect one thing then a similar but different issue comes up. Would you want a crew saying, “It’s probably just compressor wash fumes,” when it’s actually a massive fuel leak getting into the environmental bleed air, for example?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: RTO Due to Fumes

Post by pelmet »

lownslow wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:51 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 am I seem to read about fume events after de-icing and now due to a compressor wash. I wonder if it is something that should be discussed as a possibility in the briefing before takeoff. Might result in such an event being expected rather than unexpected.....
On the other hand, it chips away at safety if you expect one thing then a similar but differentu issue comes up. Would you want a crew saying, “It’s probably just compressor wash fumes,” when it’s actually a massive fuel leak getting into the environmental bleed air, for example?
Perhaps. I still think it is worth discussing. One can say similar for other faults we brief.

Sometimes there is no perfect answer to possibilities.

The case above was a 120 knot RTO which could be considered high risk. Massive fuel leaks are pretty rare.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”