How backed up is hiring???

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

How backed up is hiring???

Post by pitottubey »

So I finished the whole application process over 2 months ago and still in the pool...
---------- ADS -----------

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How backed up is hiring???

Post by maverick12 »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:15 pm So I finished the whole application process over 2 months ago and still in the pool...
Sim eval, reference checks, criminal check and drug check completed already?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:15 pm So I finished the whole application process over 2 months ago and still in the pool...
No news is typically good news

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Same.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Did they offer you employment already? If so, this would have been answered in the letter you received. If you haven't even interviewed yet, hate to burst your bubble, but you're not in any sort of "pool."

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:39 am
Did they offer you employment already? If so, this would have been answered in the letter you received. If you haven't even interviewed yet, hate to burst your bubble, but you're not in any sort of "pool."
By finished the "whole application process", I did all the interviews and everything and passed them all. I was told I was in the pool or I would not have bothered posting here

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

There is a ‘pool’ correspondence that has been sent to successful applicants upon completion of all steps in the interview process. It is not a job offer. That comes subsequently.

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

rudder wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:19 am
There is a ‘pool’ correspondence that has been sent to successful applicants upon completion of all steps in the interview process. It is not a job offer. That comes subsequently.
That’s interesting, I was told by them they’re not even pooling candidates anymore due to the hiring climate, they just go ahead and assign a GS.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

maverick12 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:26 am
rudder wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:19 am

That’s interesting, I was told by them they’re not even pooling candidates anymore due to the hiring climate, they just go ahead and assign a GS.
Both are happening. It all depends on the rate of interview processing, the applicant success rate, and the acceptance rate of job offers. I have not seen the actual text of the pool correspondence (I don’t believe the word pool is even included) but apparently it states that the candidate has successfully completed all steps in the interview process.

Last edited by rudder on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

MMPI results seem to be the longest to be received.
I guess after that it’s how the candidate scored specifically on the mmpi, regardless of the experience.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

My guess is the big bottleneck is the training department being saturated. What does Jazz have to replace this year, something like 30-40% of the pilot roster? There are only so many trainers and checkers, and only so many Q/RJ/Embraer sims in the world. They know they’re on their back foot as far as pilot staffing my goes.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

For anyone's information, I was just told by email that I had successfully completed all steps of the application process and I should "hear back from them shortly". A few weeks go by and nothing so I follow up on my status, and the lady sends me an email that says:

application status: Active (in pool)
file remains in good standing

So the pool is a thing but I had to actually ask them for them to say it. They don't voluntarily tell you, they just say you've passed all the steps and then the sound of crickets... Unless you follow up after over a month

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:35 am MMPI results seem to be the longest to be received.
I guess after that it’s how the candidate scored specifically on the mmpi, regardless of the experience.
Do you know if they tell you once MMPI is passed? Or does the email stating a pass of the sim eval and the go ahead for ref checks constitute MMPI results received?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

lownslow wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:43 am My guess is the big bottleneck is the training department being saturated. What does Jazz have to replace this year, something like 30-40% of the pilot roster? There are only so many trainers and checkers, and only so many Q/RJ/Embraer sims in the world. They know they’re on their back foot as far as pilot staffing my goes.
Attrition will probably be 500-600 pilots from August 2022 - December 2023.

Jazz has principal customer availability for Q/RJ/Embraer sims in YYZ/YVR. There is sufficient domestic sim capacity to handle recurrent training and anticipated initial type training.

Jazz has sufficient instructor and ACP resources to staff the sim schedule. Having said that, you can never have too many trainers or too many ACP. Trainer attrition is and will remain an issue.

Jazz could look to subcontract initial sim training or go offshore, but that is not likely. Bottlenecks also occur at the IOE phase of training (line indoc). Once again, resources are finite.

Jazz has historically been able to hire and train up to 500 pilots in 12 months while maintaining commercial schedule. 2022/2023 will be challenging as CA attrition rates will be high triggering multiple training events rather than just a single replacement training event (new-hire FO replacing departing FO).

A flow arrangement with AC including metered movement would help. There is no evidence that is in the works. For non-flow inclined pilots, attrition to other carriers will also be an issue that cannot be controlled unless remaining at Jazz becomes a more attractive option than what is being offered elsewhere. It will be a challenge for Jazz to compete with DEC offers on larger equipment at higher pay rates if status quo pay scales remain until 2035.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

maverick12 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:01 am
kiaszceski wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:35 am MMPI results seem to be the longest to be received.
Do you know if they tell you once MMPI is passed? Or does the email stating a pass of the sim eval and the go ahead for ref checks constitute MMPI results received?
From what I understood, MMPI results aren’t a passed or failed mark. It gives a score on each area And then it has to be interpreted by a psychiatrist.
I guess this is the last part of the scoring matrix and it weighs a lot.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

rudder wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:09 am
lownslow wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:43 am My guess is the big bottleneck is the training department being saturated. What does Jazz have to replace this year, something like 30-40% of the pilot roster? There are only so many trainers and checkers, and only so many Q/RJ/Embraer sims in the world. They know they’re on their back foot as far as pilot staffing my goes.
Jazz has sufficient instructor and ACP resources to staff the sim schedule. Having said that, you can never have too many trainers or too many ACP. Trainer attrition is and will remain an issue.
Do you know why the October 11th has been cancelled then?

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

pitottubey wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:47 am For anyone's information, I was just told by email that I had successfully completed all steps of the application process and I should "hear back from them shortly". A few weeks go by and nothing so I follow up on my status, and the lady sends me an email that says:

application status: Active (in pool)
file remains in good standing

So the pool is a thing but I had to actually ask them for them to say it. They don't voluntarily tell you, they just say you've passed all the steps and then the sound of crickets... Unless you follow up after over a month
It's possible it's an experience thing as well, I believe right now they are going after the highest experience they can get so if you're on the lower end you would be swimming in the pool. Hang in there, I hung out in there for about 3 months 5 years ago.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:22 am
rudder wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:09 am
Do you know why the October 11th has been cancelled then?
No specific info.

Not all training goes according to schedule. If you hit a big enough backlog, then you need to rearrange things to catch up. That may be the case.

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 am
From what I understood, MMPI results aren’t a passed or failed mark. It gives a score on each area And then it has to be interpreted by a psychiatrist.

Last edited by maverick12 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 am
Ahh gotcha. Thanks

Any of you have an idea as to what experience levels are gonna be at the top of the pool right now?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”