Aerial Survey

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Newby76656
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aerial Survey

Post by Newby76656 »

How does one get a job as an FO for survey OPS. I've heard it's a great low time job, but I haven't had the luck I guess
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Aerial Survey

Post by Squaretail »

Most survey is done single pilot, so your first step is to apply as a pilot, not an FO. The entry positions are likely to be 172, 182 and 206 jobs.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

It can be difficult if you don't already know someone working there. Most spots are filled before a posting comes out, but a couple companies that come to mind:

Airborne Sensing - airsensing.com
Envirotech - envirotechaviation.com
First Base Solutions - firstbasesolutions.com
Sander Geophysics - sgl.com

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Sander Geophysics flies two pilots in their fixed wing. Top notch flight department!
First Base flies the Cessnas mentioned single pilot

Newby76656
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Newby76656 »

I would like the opportunity, but I don't know no-one working survey and I'm a wet cpl with multi/ifr so nothing much to brag about

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Speaking of survey companies, anybody know anything about xcalibur geophysics?

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

What kind of schedule do they typically fly? Like first
Base solutions?

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

ellinas wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:50 pm What kind of schedule do they typically fly? Like first
Base solutions?
At First Base you work and are away from home all year long. 2 weeks vacation the 1st year, options for unpaid time at home if you need it. You work every day that the weather cooperates, but as that's not every day, lots of days where you aren't doing anything. Plenty of time to explore places across Canada and the USA. It was the best first job but it does require some sacrifice being away from home that long.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Newby76656 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:45 am I would like the opportunity, but I don't know no-one working survey and I'm a wet cpl with multi/ifr so nothing much to brag about
Best way to describe is either low level pipeline may survey, or if Lidar 6+hrs of more or less handflown ils(GPS tracking +/- 50m or getting calls from back"your off track correct left/right/up/down") in a Navajo at reduced power with no bathroom. Unless called for by contract single pilot. Most want 500 multi or 1000/200 multi

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

lowoleo22 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:24 am
ellinas wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:50 pm What kind of schedule do they typically fly? Like first
Base solutions?
At First Base you work and are away from home all year long. 2 weeks vacation the 1st year, options for unpaid time at home if you need it. You work every day that the weather cooperates, but as that's not every day, lots of days where you aren't doing anything. Plenty of time to explore places across Canada and the USA. It was the best first job but it does require some sacrifice being away from home that long.
Thanks for the advice much appreciated, so definitely not for someone that has a family at home . I guess I’ll have to say no.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

There are other survey companies not listed here that do hire a few pilots a year, typically Feb - Apr -ish. For someone with fresh CPL and low time, showing up and shaking hands with the CP/Ops Mgr often goes a long way. That's true of just about every entry level flying job though.

frosty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frosty »

For a new pilot you could look into companies that fly LiDAR on 172 and 206 types, or 172 pipeline patrol jobs. Almost all of the pipeline survey companies are Alberta based.
Very unlikely to get onto an Aztec, Navajo, or Caravan without at least 500-600 hours.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Of note, there are companies that have single engine survey aircraft as well as multis and turbines. The shop I work at usually hires 1 or 2 low time folks most years.

Return to “General Comments”