Career advice to get to AC

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Carrier advice to get to AC

Post by Transition9er2 »

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you need to go anywhere. The min hours to apply at AC are something like 2000 with an ATPL(??).

There’s been A LOT of Encore ppl coming over recently. I’d suggest hang out where you are, build your time and submit an application as soon as you hit 2000.

By not bouncing around will show stability on your work history as well.
---------- ADS -----------

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

pk95 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:03 am Hello
I am looking for a carrier advice from fellow aviators.
I am 27 Encore FO with 1880h TT, 230h 705time, 1300h PIC on single engine.

I have decided that I want to go to AC or possibly US carriers and start building seniority asap.
With this being said, between Flair FO and Encore Captain, which one will get me there sooner? And if one would be a more valuable carrier experience.

I got Flair interview for next month and I will need about 5 months of flying to become eligible for Encore captain.
I am currently leaning towards Flair but worried about their long term sustainability and giving up WJ seniority as backup.

Thanks!
If your goal is to go to Flair to get some jet experience before you ditch them to go to AC, then what does it matter about 'long term stability'? You're basically admitting to want to use them for that reason. On that note, Flair started up against AC and WJ making record profits, survived against WJ's attempt at killing them with Swoop, further survived a freakin pandemic, and were for a while the only ones who were hiring and growing and are clearly doing well and you're worried about their future? :lol: You are a clueless, lost puppy! Maybe just stay at Encore. Or go to Swoop :roll:

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

rooster wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:03 pm

I have decided that I want to go to AC or possibly US carriers and start building seniority asap.
With this being said, between Flair FO and Encore Captain, which one will get me there sooner? And if one would be a more valuable carrier experience.

I got Flair interview for next month and I will need about 5 months of flying to become eligible for Encore captain.
I am currently leaning towards Flair but worried about their long term sustainability and giving up WJ seniority as backup.

Thanks!
If your goal is to go to Flair to get some jet experience before you ditch them to go to AC, then what does it matter about 'long term stability'? You're basically admitting to want to use them for that reason. On that note, Flair started up against AC and WJ making record profits, survived against WJ's attempt at killing them with Swoop, further survived a freakin pandemic, and were for a while the only ones who were hiring and growing and are clearly doing well and you're worried about their future? :lol: You are a clueless, lost puppy! Maybe just stay at Encore. Or go to Swoop :roll:
Dickish reply much?

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Interesting to see the Flair fanboys being so vocal. More interesting is how long it will last.

To the OP. Either way you’ll get a good shot I’m sure. Good luck.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

What's your education?

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

I think I know who this is... my advice would be to stay at encore and get the PIC time, then apply to AC when you meet the requirements. Like one said before, itll be less awkward when asked "why do you want to leave your current employer" and not having a middle man in there. Idk if AC would care that much but it could lead to questions about loyalty and priorities. I could also be 100% wrong since ive never interviewed at AC and have no idea what its like aha. In any case, do what is best for you and what you think will get you to your goals. Youre a smart guy, youll get there WildDingo

Boeingman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boeingman »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:58 am For what it’s worth, I don’t think you need to go anywhere. The min hours to apply at AC are something like 2000 with an ATPL(??).

There’s been A LOT of Encore ppl coming over recently. I’d suggest hang out where you are, build your time and submit an application as soon as you hit 2000.

By not bouncing around will show stability on your work history as well.
The encore guys that have been coming over has mostly been Q400 Training Captains / 2 Swoop, 11 of them specifically with 4-6k hours TT.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

pk95 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:03 am I have decided that I want to go to AC or possibly US carriers
Apply for AC today and update when you have North of 2000 hours. Even without update they seem to have estimated career progress in the past and could well contact you when they think you’re close enough. If you don’t have an FAA ATPL consider starting that process immediately and in any case contact the US consulate to ensure you qualify for the National Interest Waiver visa for airline pilots (I forget the alphanumeric code) plus ask what forms you’ll need.

Also it’s career. Carrier is what Maverick lands on.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

If you're only 5 months from upgrading at Encore, I'd say just stay at Encore and get the PIC time. You can apply to AC with 2000 hours and just update your application periodically.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

I agree. If you go to Flair it will be 3 months until you're on line most likely. You're close to 2000 hours. Just keep slogging along and fly as much as you can, take the upgrade when it comes. AC will call eventually. And really, with 2k hours you still have a little ways to go for OTS regardless of Encore or Flair. So just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the ride. A 705 upgrade is super valuable for the training side of things, and getting a chance to be PIC at an airline. Stick with it.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Thanks!
I’d say stay where you are.

For perspective, when I had 1800 hrs I went from a PC12 to the right seat of a metro, then sat there for 3 years before upgrading. Things were slower then.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you like Encore, stay there, AC will call. If you get the interview at AC and don't get hired, then look at where you want to spend the next 5 years from there. IMHO Encore is a dead end job, the flow was a lie, and the company is likely to get sold off and then be a WS CPA type thing like Jazz is to AC, with little to no chance of getting onto the 737. Then look at what Flair has to offer, home every night, fast upgrade potential, new aircraft, etc and make a decision.

If you only want to come to Flair because somebody told you your chance of getting on with AC is higher, I'm pretty sure you won't like it here. You might be a commuter for a stretch waiting for the base you want, training here is no cake walk, and you will start out doing some reserve. You need to be willing to put 2 years into Flair before it starts to really be a cool job. By the end of 2 years here you'll be in the top 25% FO seniority at your base, you'll work 10-12 days a month with the days off you want, and then you can decide what base you are willing to work towards a command at (of 7, possibly 8 bases by then), or move on to AC if you're young enough to take advantage of what they have to offer and want it badly enough.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

co-joe wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:37 pm If you like Encore, stay there, AC will call. If you get the interview at AC and don't get hired, then look at where you want to spend the next 5 years from there. IMHO Encore is a dead end job, the flow was a lie, and the company is likely to get sold off and then be a WS CPA type thing like Jazz is to AC, with little to no chance of getting onto the 737. Then look at what Flair has to offer, home every night, fast upgrade potential, new aircraft, etc and make a decision.

If you only want to come to Flair because somebody told you your chance of getting on with AC is higher, I'm pretty sure you won't like it here. You might be a commuter for a stretch waiting for the base you want, training here is no cake walk, and you will start out doing some reserve. You need to be willing to put 2 years into Flair before it starts to really be a cool job. By the end of 2 years here you'll be in the top 25% FO seniority at your base, you'll work 10-12 days a month with the days off you want, and then you can decide what base you are willing to work towards a command at (of 7, possibly 8 bases by then), or move on to AC if you're young enough to take advantage of what they have to offer and want it badly enough.
Well said

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Career advice to get to AC

Post by tbaylx »

You do realize that Flair recruiters read this site right? We'd prefer not to spend $50K making you into a decent 737 pilot if your intentions are to go to AC as soon as possible.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

tbaylx wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:15 pm You do realize that Flair recruiters read this site right? We'd prefer not to spend $50K making you into a decent 737 pilot if your intentions are to go to AC as soon as possible.
Well based on the new hire bios at AC they're going to have to get used to it.

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

tbaylx wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:15 pm You do realize that Flair recruiters read this site right? We'd prefer not to spend $50K making you into a decent 737 pilot if your intentions are to go to AC as soon as possible.
#vanlife

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Maybe they can take their type ratings and go scab somewhere. I’m sure you’d support that.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Hangry wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:29 am Maybe they can take their type ratings and go scab somewhere. I’m sure you’d support that
:lol:

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Remember. Money talks and bullshit walks.

Sorry.. but nobody is sticking around for 18 day months and King Air wages to fly a 737. They are there for the heavy jet time and then out.

And Flair simply does not have the career progression or stability of Air Canada which itself is already well behind the rest of the world.

The ULCC model will not work in Canada for the number of carriers pursuing it. There will be casualties, and Flair May very well be one of them.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Well King Airs are paying upwards of 100-130k now (Missinippi) and rotational.

The 705 jobs are going to have to start playing ball. Either make the job SO GRAVY that it's like 10-12 days a month, high credit, great vacation etc. or raise the pays 30%. Anything less is unacceptable.

Return to “Air Canada”