Jazz Approach state

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jazz Approach state

Post by nutlord »

swervin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:11 pm
JazzWannabe wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:18 pm Yes the first class started in Kingston and i am not in it. Anyone shed a light on whether i should continue to wait the call or bug recruitment? Do i stand a chance? So by your observations, three cadets dropped out. Why might that be?
I wouldn't waste the $200,000 it's going to cost you to finish this program. Better off going to Harv Air, finish your licences there in 12 months if you go at if full time for less than half the money and don't pay for your own PPC. Find yourself a better paying job elsewhere. I don't know how anyone plans to service their $200,000 student debt making $2200 a month.
My guess is that most people in this program are paying for it with cash, or their parents are doing so. Student debts and low starting salary aren't an issue if you have the support of your parents, or are somehow independently wealthy.
---------- ADS -----------

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

nutlord wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 am My guess is that most people in this program are paying for it with cash, or their parents are doing so. Student debts and low starting salary aren't an issue if you have the support of your parents, or are somehow independently wealthy.
Indeed. My number one goal is to see my child go to school for "free". In other terms, I will pay 100% of the tuition. I don't want my kid to go through what I did, having to work full time and pay my flight school. I sacrificed some of the best years of my life chasing my dream.

HappySkies777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HappySkies777 »

Please for GOD's sake don't sign up for this program!!! I have funded my own flight training from day one working McDonald's, ramp, fueling jobs and a corporate job as an Engineer because I went and got a degree. Go to a flight school and pay for your flying "Pay As You Go" OR if you have money saved join a professional program like Seneca College or others and you will come off ahead financially! When you are done, go get a job for a year which will teach you tons. You will feel more comfortable in your first 705 (airline) gig, make you appreciate what you earned and finally you will earn the respect of others. My first job was flying the arctic for couple years. This baby step in your flying career is priceless. Jumping into an airline environment as a first job is a stretch (not impossible), but its a lot to take in, and let alone a jet on top of that!

P.s: I work at Jazz and as people mentioned before, your first year or frankly couple of years won't break even with your salary to pay an almost quarter million for a CRJ200 type!!!! Also, paying for a type rating is derogatory to the standard of this industry....and yeah you are paying for it as far as I understand!!

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:05 am
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:04 pm Looks like the Jazz Approach program is starting up:

IMG_2998.PNG
Where did you get that add from, if you don't mind me asking?
The Jazz Chief Pilot linked the ad to her LinkedIn profile.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:35 pm The Jazz Chief Pilot linked the ad to her LinkedIn profile.
Okay thanks for that. I don't have LinkedIn, so that's why I didn't see it anywhere, even though I was trying to find it on their website.

flytobe123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flytobe123 »

HappySkies777 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:03 pm Please for GOD's sake don't sign up for this program!!! I have funded my own flight training from day one working McDonald's, ramp, fueling jobs and a corporate job as an Engineer because I went and got a degree. Go to a flight school and pay for your flying "Pay As You Go" OR if you have money saved join a professional program like Seneca College or others and you will come off ahead financially! When you are done, go get a job for a year which will teach you tons. You will feel more comfortable in your first 705 (airline) gig, make you appreciate what you earned and finally you will earn the respect of others. My first job was flying the arctic for couple years. This baby step in your flying career is priceless. Jumping into an airline environment as a first job is a stretch (not impossible), but its a lot to take in, and let alone a jet on top of that!

P.s: I work at Jazz and as people mentioned before, your first year or frankly couple of years won't break even with your salary to pay an almost quarter million for a CRJ200 type!!!! Also, paying for a type rating is derogatory to the standard of this industry....and yeah you are paying for it as far as I understand!!
--------
VERY FUNNY, SAD BUT TRUE.
Cadet program in France is free and you go straight to Airbus A320.
I have the feeling we are copying US but this is a very different context and country.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

flytobe123 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:06 pm
HappySkies777 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:03 pm Please for GOD's sake don't sign up for this program!!! I have funded my own flight training from day one working McDonald's, ramp, fueling jobs and a corporate job as an Engineer because I went and got a degree. Go to a flight school and pay for your flying "Pay As You Go" OR if you have money saved join a professional program like Seneca College or others and you will come off ahead financially! When you are done, go get a job for a year which will teach you tons. You will feel more comfortable in your first 705 (airline) gig, make you appreciate what you earned and finally you will earn the respect of others. My first job was flying the arctic for couple years. This baby step in your flying career is priceless. Jumping into an airline environment as a first job is a stretch (not impossible), but its a lot to take in, and let alone a jet on top of that!

--------
I have the feeling we are copying US but this is a very different context and country.
Yeah well oui et non...
Most of the cadets in France are going to Easyjet or AF or Ryanair but not 100% of them.
Some are instructing, others are going to Africa with Aviation sans frontières.

flytobe123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flytobe123 »

Babar350 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:20 pm
flytobe123 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:06 pm

--------
Yeah well oui et non...
Most of the cadets in France are going to Easyjet or AF or Ryanair but not 100% of them.
Some are instructing, others are going to Africa with Aviation sans frontières.
---
I was referring AF Cadets and/or ENAC school :D

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

flytobe123 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:06 pm ...Cadet program in France is free and you go straight to Airbus A320..
Two things there:
1. Competition is fierce, and rightfully so, since they're paying the whole bill.

2. Air France knows that once those pilots get hired, they'll stay till retirement. I doubt too many AF pilots will move to other French carriers, like FrenchBee or Corsair...

You can't compare a Canadian regional airline with the national carrier of France. Two different continents, countries, airlines, cultures and operations.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:44 pm
flytobe123 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:06 pm ...Cadet program in France is free and you go straight to Airbus A320..
Two things there:
1. Competition is fierce, and rightfully so, since they're paying the whole bill.

2. Air France knows that once those pilots get hired, they'll stay till retirement. I doubt too many AF pilots will move to other French carriers, like FrenchBee or Corsair...

You can't compare a Canadian regional airline with the national carrier of France. Two different continents, countries, airlines, cultures and operations.
And this program is just pathetic. It won't solve a thing. It is just another sad attempt my management to keep pay low.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Does CAE / Jazz have a place in Kingston (at YGK) where this will take place? When will this program start? Will it be run by CAE instructors or Jazz?

GIVCE!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GIVCE! »

This whole thing, and the sneaky silence of it all, just feels like a big F U to the pilotsand ALPA from management. If we can’t get pilots from colleges and flight schools? Hell, we’ll start our own school, charge ludicrous amounts of money for it, trap non-upgradable FO’s to a life of servitude for many years after, use out-sourced, cheaper, possibly inferior instructors to do it all while leaving the union and it’s members on the outside looking in saying, wtf. The volume will never meet the requirements of future hiring, so why even bother? As if this solves anything except adding another layer of bureaucracy to the Chorus portfolio. I wonder how much the CFI or the person in charge of this program is going to be paid? You can bet it’s more than a first year fo, or Capt for that matter. Just another show of non support for the in house talent that already exists here and continues to leave BY THE HUNDREDS mainly due to the lack of competitive wages. But hey, it’s AC fault right for repatriating flying and sucking up all the pilots they need, when they see fit. This place is shrinking faster than the cohones on a small boy swimming in the North Atlantic. Not much future to look forward to atm, hence the mass exedus. All the effort previously put into recruitment programs through colleges and flight schools and still no permanent solution to the in house PICuS problems or fixing the wages to RETAIN the pilots that do come to Jazz. Instead another stupid corporate experiment. I’ll bet the Trudeau government is even kicking in the start up funds under some ‘hire Canadian’ banner. Such BS. Tax payers would love to learn that I’ll bet, tell the people that got shafted over the Xmas break that now THEY are paying for the pilots to learn to fly so they can get to Cuba for $50. See how that floats…prove to me that Chorus is fully funding this, and if they are, disgusting. Money should be going to CURRENT PILOT WAGES. imo, the union should be all over this.
Fin.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

GIVCE! wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:12 am This whole thing, and the sneaky silence of it all, just feels like a big F U to the pilotsand ALPA from management. If we can’t get pilots from colleges and flight schools? Hell, we’ll start our own school, charge ludicrous amounts of money for it, trap non-upgradable FO’s to a life of servitude for many years after, use out-sourced, cheaper, possibly inferior instructors to do it all while leaving the union and it’s members on the outside looking in saying, wtf. The volume will never meet the requirements of future hiring, so why even bother? As if this solves anything except adding another layer of bureaucracy to the Chorus portfolio. I wonder how much the CFI or the person in charge of this program is going to be paid? You can bet it’s more than a first year fo, or Capt for that matter. Just another show of non support for the in house talent that already exists here and continues to leave BY THE HUNDREDS mainly due to the lack of competitive wages. But hey, it’s AC fault right for repatriating flying and sucking up all the pilots they need, when they see fit. This place is shrinking faster than the cohones on a small boy swimming in the North Atlantic. Not much future to look forward to atm, hence the mass exedus. All the effort previously put into recruitment programs through colleges and flight schools and still no permanent solution to the in house PICuS problems or fixing the wages to RETAIN the pilots that do come to Jazz. Instead another stupid corporate experiment. I’ll bet the Trudeau government is even kicking in the start up funds under some ‘hire Canadian’ banner. Such BS. Tax payers would love to learn that I’ll bet, tell the people that got shafted over the Xmas break that now THEY are paying for the pilots to learn to fly so they can get to Cuba for $50. See how that floats…prove to me that Chorus is fully funding this, and if they are, disgusting. Money should be going to CURRENT PILOT WAGES. imo, the union should be all over this.
Fin.
et caveat emptor

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

It is sad, and pathetic. It just shows the absolute level of contempt management holds for the pilot group. But we can fight back against it by remaining unified behind our union, and known that we will not accept anything less than a radical redress of the our current working conditions. F/O's star at $65, Captains at $100, and top out at $200. Company pays a 100% of our benefits. Anything short of that, we don't even show up to talk to the company.

And until that day, we continue to work under the terms of our current contract, that will continue to see us bleed pilots, unable to hire new ones. We remind the company as frequently as possible that this is the contract that they wanted. And we make it be known we will see this through to the very end, regardless of what the end might be; either higher pay for us, or they decide to shut the company down.

The union can't tell us to not work overtime, or any other work to rule type measures. But they don't need to. As I quoted in other places, "They used to enjoy my maximum, now they will suffer my minimum... I am an army of one, or two, or three hundred."

That being said, no one should be shamed for working overtime, as it is a legal part of our contract. And if that is what you have to do to feed yourself or you family, or because you want to go skiing to stay sane, then by all means.

They are showing extreme stubbornness, we just need to let it be known that we can be stubborn too, and for much longer. Because in the end, pilots in Canada now have options, and they need to start accepting and dealing with that reality.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

truedude wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:04 am It is sad, and pathetic. It just shows the absolute level of contempt management holds for the pilot group. But we can fight back against it by remaining unified behind our union, and known that we will not accept anything less than a radical redress of the our current working conditions. F/O's star at $65, Captains at $100, and top out at $200. Company pays a 100% of our benefits. Anything short of that, we don't even show up to talk to the company.

And until that day, we continue to work under the terms of our current contract, that will continue to see us bleed pilots, unable to hire new ones. We remind the company as frequently as possible that this is the contract that they wanted. And we make it be known we will see this through to the very end, regardless of what the end might be; either higher pay for us, or they decide to shut the company down.

The union can't tell us to not work overtime, or any other work to rule type measures. But they don't need to. As I quoted in other places, "They used to enjoy my maximum, now they will suffer my minimum... I am an army of one, or two, or three hundred."

That being said, no one should be shamed for working overtime, as it is a legal part of our contract. And if that is what you have to do to feed yourself or you family, or because you want to go skiing to stay sane, then by all means.

They are showing extreme stubbornness, we just need to let it be known that we can be stubborn too, and for much longer. Because in the end, pilots in Canada now have options, and they need to start accepting and dealing with that reality.
Best post I've come across in a long time

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

truedude wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:04 am It is sad, and pathetic. It just shows the absolute level of contempt management holds for the pilot group. But we can fight back against it by remaining unified behind our union, and known that we will not accept anything less than a radical redress of the our current working conditions. F/O's star at $65, Captains at $100, and top out at $200. Company pays a 100% of our benefits. Anything short of that, we don't even show up to talk to the company.

This is absolutely the right approach. Stay strong, do the minimum you are required to do, stay legal and most importantly… stay in solidarity.

cykj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cykj »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:03 pm Does CAE / Jazz have a place in Kingston (at YGK) where this will take place? When will this program start? Will it be run by CAE instructors or Jazz?
Cygnet Aviation Academy. They were hiring instructors on indeed.ca a couple of months ago. You might recognize the corporation directors.

https://opengovca.com/corporation/13482952

GIVCE!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GIVCE! »

Looks like they own a DA42 … things are sure coming together…lol

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

cykj wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:03 pm Does CAE / Jazz have a place in Kingston (at YGK) where this will take place? When will this program start? Will it be run by CAE instructors or Jazz?
Cygnet Aviation Academy. They were hiring instructors on indeed.ca a couple of months ago. You might recognize the corporation directors.

Indeed. Thank you for that info / link.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

cykj wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am

Oh, I’m sure their duties are included in the already over inflated salaries, wait I guess Joe needs a retirement gig, since his “pension” might not pay the bills

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”