Brace for impact

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Brace for impact

Post by kiaszceski »

News shortly.
---------- ADS -----------

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Brace for impact

Post by pilot4life »

Can’t say i didn’t see this coming

flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

What does that mean for hiring?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

For anyone wondering what it is. The Westjet MEC just released a communique stating that it is their intention to eliminate the Pilot Transfer Agreement, also known as "the one list". A vote will be brought to the WJ and Swoop pilots shortly so they can vote on whether to strike it down or keep it.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Sad, for those who'd staked their future on 'flow' to mainline..

OTOH, Jazz, Flair, Porter, and AC are hiring; the door to the USA has been cracked open with the recent Brookfield posting, and if WEN wants to keep and attract people, they'll probably have to boost pay somewhat..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:44 am The Westjet MEC just released a communique stating that it is their intention to eliminate the Pilot Transfer Agreement
For what purpose?

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

What is the sentiment with Westjet and Swoop pilots? Do you think they will vote to strike it down or not.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:55 am What is the sentiment with Westjet and Swoop pilots? Do you think they will vote to strike it down or not.
Why would any of these guys vote against their own interests ?

Remember the old union adage "We don't negotiate for the unborn" ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Can the WestJet pilot group destroy the PTA without management approval?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

digits_ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:08 pm Can the WestJet pilot group destroy the PTA without management approval?

Yes. Any of the involved parties can.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

ALPA will be organizing a vote to cancel the PTA among the WestJet mainline and swoop pilots. The outcome will be the outcome. More to follow.

Eliminate isn't the right word to describe the situation, if the PTA gets cancelled it can be renegotiated.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

Woah! Look at the pay increase!!! :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

Attachments
2C9AC284-FEE2-4F00-9CFA-C716632225A1.jpeg
2C9AC284-FEE2-4F00-9CFA-C716632225A1.jpeg (489.44 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:09 am Woah! Look at the pay increase!!! :smt040 :smt040 :smt040
Looks genuine but it's edited and the real photo was for Horizen pilots and teamsters

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

seriousflyer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 pm ALPA will be organizing a vote to cancel the PTA among the WestJet mainline and swoop pilots.
Again, why? Is the theory that severing a source of new hires will lead to a labour shortage that they can use in negotiations this fall? Or is it some other thing?

Seems odd to already be saying, “Gee I sure am glad we were all on one list so I didn’t get furloughed last year. Anyways, I’m back at work now so @#$! ‘em.”

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

mmm..bacon wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:01 am Sad, for those who'd staked their future on 'flow' to mainline..

OTOH, Jazz, Flair, Porter, and AC are hiring; the door to the USA has been cracked open with the recent Brookfield posting, and if WEN wants to keep and attract people, they'll probably have to boost pay somewhat..
Existing Encore pilots are grandfathered in to the seniority list.

I heard a rumour (unsure how true) that the encore MEC support this.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 am Seems odd to already be saying, “Gee I sure am glad we were all on one list so I didn’t get furloughed last year. Anyways, I’m back at work now so @#$! ‘em.”
Exactly… Encore literally saved the day during the pandemic. Encore pilots lost their jobs or went right seat so that WJ pilots could take their place thanks to the PTA. Now that it’s over they decide to strike it and screw even more the guys and girls who already suffered the most for the past 2 years?
Let’s see how the vote turns out. I understand it’s all in preparation for the next negotiations but screwing your coworkers that way is self sabotage.

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

skyhighh wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:27 am
lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 am Seems odd to already be saying, “Gee I sure am glad we were all on one list so I didn’t get furloughed last year. Anyways, I’m back at work now so @#$! ‘em.”
Exactly… Encore literally saved the day during the pandemic. Encore pilots lost their jobs or went right seat so that WJ pilots could take their place thanks to the PTA. Now that it’s over they decide to strike it and screw even more the guys and girls who already suffered the most for the past 2 years?
Let’s see how the vote turns out. I understand it’s all in preparation for the next negotiations but screwing your coworkers that way is self sabotage.

This wasn’t “screw WEN “ .. Those pilots still have a number on the one list .

This is : WJ no longer has a carrot to dangle . There is no reason to go to WEN anymore . They want pilots ? Better negotiate a better carrot . WEN should be thanking our MEC.

Just callin it like it is.
truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

skyhighh wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:27 am
I don’t think this post will age well. Cancelling the PTA may end up helping Encore. Time will tell.

And like Bede mentioned - no one presently at encore is being screwed in any way.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

So you start at Encore tomorrow, and endure 8 or so years of shitty pay and conditions before you can flow. When you flow you start at the bottom again at year 1 pay. So what in gods name was the point in that whole exercise? Oh ok, so you’re closer to an upgrade at WJ because those 8 years count towards it. Well virtually all upgrades are gonna be at Swoop because that’s the direction the company wants to move in now. Might as well just apply to Flair/Lynx right away and not put up with all the years flying a Dash.
The PTA has become a small carrot on an incredibly long stick. Time to tear up the agreement and let the company decide how important attraction/retention actually is to them for the Encore group. No one is getting screwed if the ‘grandfather clause’ is legally enforceable.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 am
seriousflyer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 pm ALPA will be organizing a vote to cancel the PTA among the WestJet mainline and swoop pilots.
Again, why? Is the theory that severing a source of new hires will lead to a labour shortage that they can use in negotiations this fall? Or is it some other thing?

Seems odd to already be saying, “Gee I sure am glad we were all on one list so I didn’t get furloughed last year. Anyways, I’m back at work now so @#$! ‘em.”
There are numerous problems around the PTA and the implementation during Covid. The PTA should never have been approved in the first place and didn't pass the first vote and most likely only passed the second because of an attached unrelated money issue.

The PTA and it's "one list" complicates any merger discussions and contrary to the company position the "reserved" seniority numbers are not likely to stand the challenges of the merger.

The company clearly showed that it really only intended for the PTA to be a one way street.

The Encore MEC did its job, ensuring that it looked after the needs of it's current members, but after doing so asking the WestJet MEC to look after the needs of future members while ignoring or harming current members is an unrealistic expectation by the Encore group.

Return to “WestJet Encore”