Brace for impact

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Brace for impact

Post by lownslow »

Bede wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:22 am Existing Encore pilots are grandfathered in to the seniority list.
It’s subtle details like this that really take the fun out of the juiciest of rumours. Booooo!
---------- ADS -----------

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:40 pm
Bede wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:22 am Existing Encore pilots are grandfathered in to the seniority list.
It’s subtle details like this that really take the fun out of the juiciest of rumours. Booooo!
The company has declared they’re committed to ‘grandfathering’, but I believe there’s some legal concerns on whether it would still stand up if the PTA is canceled/declared invalid. Especially as the PTA motion likely only passed the vote because there was money being attached to it.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm
lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:40 pm
The company has declared they’re committed to ‘grandfathering’, but I believe there’s some legal concerns on whether it would still stand up if the PTA is canceled/declared invalid. Especially as the PTA motion likely only passed the vote because there was money being attached to it.
Nothing is black and white, but the concerns are more wishful
thinking from a small few hoping to gain seniority or settle a grudge than actual legal issues.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm The company has declared they’re committed to ‘grandfathering’, but I believe there’s some legal concerns on whether it would still stand up if the PTA is canceled/declared invalid.
There is absolutely no way the PTA would ever be declared invalid de novo (meaning at inception) by an arbitrator. No one is getting a windfall.
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm Especially as the PTA motion likely only passed the vote because there was money being attached to it.
Which would strengthen the argument that the PTA is valid. There was consideration for the agreement from both parties.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

Guys and gals not all things are bad. While other companies offer better WAWCON and some are offering retention bonuses, apparently Encore offered a free hot/cold beverage from Tim Hortons on Saturday. So at least they’re doing something! Really appreciate the kind gesture. Makes me want to work at a company where employees are valued. Can you name any other company that does that?

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

truecolours wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:16 am
skyhighh wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:27 am
lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 am Seems odd to already be saying, “Gee I sure am glad we were all on one list so I didn’t get furloughed last year. Anyways, I’m back at work now so @#$! ‘em.”
Exactly… Encore literally saved the day during the pandemic. Encore pilots lost their jobs or went right seat so that WJ pilots could take their place thanks to the PTA. Now that it’s over they decide to strike it and screw even more the guys and girls who already suffered the most for the past 2 years?
Let’s see how the vote turns out. I understand it’s all in preparation for the next negotiations but screwing your coworkers that way is self sabotage.
I don’t think this post will age well. Cancelling the PTA may end up helping Encore. Time will tell.

And like Bede mentioned - no one presently at encore is being screwed in any way.
I don’t see how cancelling the PTA will help Encore. The only reason people were going to Encore was because of the possibility to go to mainline. By cancelling Encore we will reduce drastically the amount of resumes going to Encore. On paper, it is good as it would force management to improve the working conditions at Encore. In reality? There is no way in hell management will make this company interesting enough for people to apply there… So it will just be sold to a third party. Encore and its PTA was a good idea but then management failed to do their job and keep people interesting. The moment they hired a bunch of “low” timers (compared to literally every captain at WEN waiting to flow) they started shooting themselves in the foot.

Looking at the restructuration of the company and how things have been handled in the past… Encore will not come out better out of it and as of the current Encore pilots… we will see. I know about the clause in the PTA that “protects” them but I also know how often they got screwed in the past. OTS have been trying to strike that PTA for years in order to skip a few seniority numbers.

I guess we shall see but I see nothing positive coming out of it.

truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

skyhighh wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:48 am

Exactly… Encore literally saved the day during the pandemic. Encore pilots lost their jobs or went right seat so that WJ pilots could take their place thanks to the PTA. Now that it’s over they decide to strike it and screw even more the guys and girls who already suffered the most for the past 2 years?
Let’s see how the vote turns out. I understand it’s all in preparation for the next negotiations but screwing your coworkers that way is self sabotage.
I don’t think this post will age well. Cancelling the PTA may end up helping Encore. Time will tell.

And like Bede mentioned - no one presently at encore is being screwed in any way.
I don’t see how cancelling the PTA will help Encore. The only reason people were going to Encore was because of the possibility to go to mainline. By cancelling Encore we will reduce drastically the amount of resumes going to Encore. On paper, it is good as it would force management to improve the working conditions at Encore. In reality? There is no way in hell management will make this company interesting enough for people to apply there… So it will just be sold to a third party. Encore and its PTA was a good idea but then management failed to do their job and keep people interesting. The moment they hired a bunch of “low” timers (compared to literally every captain at WEN waiting to flow) they started shooting themselves in the foot.

Looking at the restructuration of the company and how things have been handled in the past… Encore will not come out better out of it and as of the current Encore pilots… we will see. I know about the clause in the PTA that “protects” them but I also know how often they got screwed in the past. OTS have been trying to strike that PTA for years in order to skip a few seniority numbers.

What is there to sell at Encore?

I think the company (sorry, “group”) has made the selling of Encore impossible.

When you pay for something, you generally get something in return.

Encore (upper) management = WestJet employees
CSA = contracts
Dispatch = WestJet employees
Maintenance = WestJet employees
Aircraft = who knows actually. I’m guessing they were sold then leased back for a few bucks in the bank during covid.

There’s nothing left to sell.

All a buyer would get would be a few hundred pilots and FA’s. I mean, if that’s what someone is after, then maybe. But there sure isn’t a hell of a lot of assets left to sell.

I believe everything is going to work out fine for everyone at Encore.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

The only reason people were going to Encore was because of the possibility to go to mainline.
Haha nah, the reason why people go Encore is because they offer (or offered) competitive wages in the Canadian market and were the first ones to send offers of employment.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

truecolours wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:07 am

What is there to sell at Encore?

I think the company (sorry, “group”) has made the selling of Encore impossible.

When you pay for something, you generally get something in return.

Encore (upper) management = WestJet employees
CSA = contracts
Aircraft = who knows actually. I’m guessing they were sold then leased back for a few bucks in the bank during covid.

There’s nothing left to sell.

All a buyer would get would be a few hundred pilots and FA’s. I mean, if that’s what someone is after, then maybe. But there sure isn’t a hell of a lot of assets left to sell.

I believe everything is going to work out fine for everyone at Encore.
The sell would be based on a Capacity Purchase agreement so whoever would buy it would be buying the company in exchange for a guaranteed (ish) revenue stream by operating as a CPA for the mainline.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

truecolours wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:07 am Encore (upper) management = WestJet employees
CSA = contracts
It may have changed but I am fairly certain that WEN dispatchers are Encore employees, as well as the maintenance, at the vast majority of stations.

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

All changed now. Most of DXP and MTCE are cross trained on the 37 and Q including out-bases.

Pretty much everyone except pilots, FA’s and some office support staff are mainline.

Return to “WestJet Encore”