300 nm CPL cross country

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

docbishop
Rank 1
Rank 1

300 nm CPL cross country

Post by docbishop »

hello there!
i did mky 300nm nav with all the stamps requiered after the
PPL 2 years ago . Now planning to start CPL training, is it still valid or i have to do it again under flight school suppervision ?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 300 nm CPL cross country

Post by photofly »

In theory it’s part of the solo time that’s under the supervision of an instructor. I’d you can get an instructor to ‘adopt’ the time, I doubt you’ll have a problem.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Put it in your CPL PTR.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

As photofly mentioned, it's supposed to be approved and under the supervision of your instructor. If you can get your current instructor to sign off on the flight then you're golden. Worst case go do another 300NM XC under your current instructor's supervision. You're going to need 20 hours of PIC XC and 200 hours total time to get your CPL requirement. Why not go do some more longer distance trips? It's not like the hours go to waste.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I did a 300 mile X-Country to Oshkosh after I got my PPL but before starting my CPL. 2 years later, I was able to use that X-Country to satisfy the CPL 300 NM requirement.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

My understanding is that nobody in any TC licensing office has the time or energy to correlate the dates of your XC with what you or your instructor might have been doing at the time. If it's in your PTR, and an instructor signs it off, I think it's very unlikely that anyone will question whether it was "supervised" or not.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

broken_slinky wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:56 am As photofly mentioned, it's supposed to be approved and under the supervision of your instructor. If you can get your current instructor to sign off on the flight then you're golden. Worst case go do another 300NM XC under your current instructor's supervision. You're going to need 20 hours of PIC XC and 200 hours total time to get your CPL requirement. Why not go do some more longer distance trips? It's not like the hours go to waste.
If you are going to do this, do it at NIGHT. You can thank me when you submit your application for an ATPL.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:41 am In theory it’s part of the solo time that’s under the supervision of an instructor. I’d you can get an instructor to ‘adopt’ the time, I doubt you’ll have a problem.
The CARS don’t quite say that. The dual portion of the flight time requirement does say it:

421.30(4)(a):

(ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of:
(A) 35 hours dual instruction flight time, under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating — Aeroplane,

But the solo portion does not have the requirement for instructor supervision:

(B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
(I) 25 hours solo flight time emphasizing the improvement of general flying skills of the applicant which shall include a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure;

So, based on that I think the flight should be allowable.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yes, that’s right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

The dual portion includes that, I think, to help define dual flight.

Up a couple lines we see this, emphasis mine on flight time vs flight training time:

(i) have completed, subject to paragraph (b), a minimum of 200 hours flight time in aeroplanes, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command time including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time, and
(amended 2006/12/14)
(ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of...

I'd suggest that as long as a PTR has been started saying so-and-so commenced said "commercial pilot flight training" on a date, and the 300nm occurs after that date, all is well. I'd argue that commercial pilot flight training doesn't start until a PTR has been started.

A few years after my PPL I did my night rating. The FTU started a CPL PTR for me and recorded the night rating in there. Many, many years later I returned to do my CPL and used the same PTR that was sitting on the shelf, covered in dust. I flipped back through my logbook to find a qualifying 300nm flight and it happened to be after my night rating/CPL PTR start.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

“Flight training” is a defined term in CAR101. It’s important not to invent your own definition.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

I asked this same question here a couple years ago when I was preparing for my CPL. I received similar answers. I also received 2 different answers from different T/C offices. And, speaking with different CPL's, each had different scenarios, some did it before starting their CPL training and some after.

I ended up selling a plane and delivering it so I got another one in anyways. It was good experience to do it again. I did not want to submit my application and have it refused based on that. As suggested, maybe just do one and the hours will go towards your requirements anyways.
My 2 cents.
Good luck!

Return to “Flight Training”