How old is too old?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: How old is too old?

Post by co-joe »

65 is too old to jump into the airline industry. But I know a guy who flew charters till his mid 70's so definitely 75 is too old to get started.
---------- ADS -----------

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

archstantun wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:54 am I currently have my CPL, night and seaplane. 248 hours. About to go do my Multi IFR. Are there any old guys that can give me some insight as to how old too old is to jump in to the industry?
Are you in your 40s, 50s, 60s?
I’m in my 50s same as you, but from what I’ve been hearing from other aviators operators won’t hire us because we’re old and think we know too much to talk back about wages and working conditions. Few other ones say we’d be good to hire because of life skills but we’re going to have a very hard time being employed because we’re older!!!
I wish you luck and If I were you I’d find a float operator for a couple of years and gain experience that way.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

archstantun wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:26 amI'm 33.
33! So much time ahead of you. Go for it!

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

too old

static_invertor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by static_invertor »

I'm 48 and it's been pretty bad. I have over 500 TT.

I contacted Susi Air in Indonesia and they were the only ones kind enough to at least say thanks but no thanks.

That was for a job that pays around $900 USD a month.

In Canada, I get no response.

I think they want age to be commensurate with experience. Fair enough.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

static_invertor wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:51 am I'm 48 and it's been pretty bad. I have over 500 TT.

I contacted Susi Air in Indonesia and they were the only ones kind enough to at least say thanks but no thanks.

That was for a job that pays around $900 USD a month.

In Canada, I get no response.

I think they want age to be commensurate with experience. Fair enough.
Are you putting your age on your resume or something? I suspect the reason you’re not getting any responses is you’re fairly low time - not a lot of 500tt folks find something decent right away. Keep applying to places and you’ll hear back from somewhere eventually.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Do you have any other skills applicable to a small-ish operator? I’ve said for a long time that charter passengers don’t want to see a pilot who looks like their grandkids so turboprop charter/aircraft management is one way in, especially if there’s something you can do in the office when not flying. Do that as you get the hours to become credible in the eyes of other companies, or just stay at that shop forever if you like it.

BCpilot1964
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BCpilot1964 »

archstantun wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:54 am I currently have my CPL, night and seaplane. 248 hours. About to go do my Multi IFR. Are there any old guys that can give me some insight as to how old too old is to jump in to the industry?
Is it floats your looking for or airlines. I'm 58 and just finished my first summer on floats and have just surpassed 500 TT (165 PIC floats). Ive also been told that next year will be a good one for hiring float pilots but you may need those 50 hours first. Its never too old but invest in your training wisely

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

BCpilot1964 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:30 am
Is it floats your looking for or airlines. I'm 58 and just finished my first summer on floats and have just surpassed 500 TT (165 PIC floats). Ive also been told that next year will be a good one for hiring float pilots but you may need those 50 hours first. Its never too old but invest in your training wisely
I’m in my 50s and I’d recommend going up north and putting in a couple of years of float/bush flying , it will take you way further .

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

archstantun wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 am
'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:35 pm too old
Why?
I think its just a generic reply, like "500" :rolleyes:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

CXALE wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:39 am
archstantun wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 am
'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:35 pm too old
Why?
I think its just a generic reply, like "500" :rolleyes:
It's an ongoing joke in Canadian aviation from an animated youtube clip that someone else can post.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

If you were like 32 I'd say go for it, but....

Kidding.

33?? jeezus, get off the computer and just get r done...tons of time left

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 8675309 »

I’m 69 and the other pilot working on floats this year was 76. Wait, what was the question?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

This is honestly a pretty broad question that is full of variables. What type of flying do you want to do? Airline? Charter? Corporate? Medevac? Fire surpression? Law enforcement? Cargo? Floats?

The answer really depends on what you want to do. At the end of the day, you need to find out what retirement age is for the company or type of flying you want to work for and decide for yourself what's too old. It's a very subjective question.

Cheers

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

I know a guy who started flying commercially for a 705 at 58. I don't think age is a factor right now.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Vico56 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:10 am I know a guy who started flying commercially for a 705 at 58. I don't think age is a factor right now.
58! I guess there is hope. But how much time did he have?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I got my bare CPL at 33. Since then I've done floats, instructing, fire, turboprops and 2 705's. I'm finally at my career spot now with a few years seniority in, and have over 20 years left!
The next 5-10 years will be tough sometimes, especially watching your friends and family getting into six figure salaries in different fields, buying houses, toys, cottages, etc. It'll be up to you to decide if you want to continually sacrifice and sawtooth to get to an airline seat, or find happiness in the multitude of other rewarding positions. The pay increases make many 703's and corporate positions quite desirable now.

Don't delay any more though, strike while the iron is hot with current movement. While there are definitely a few good entry/mid level operators, you don't want to be stuck with any of the less reputable, pure stepping stone guys when the ride stops again.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:42 am I got my bare CPL at 33. Since then I've done floats, instructing, fire, turboprops and 2 705's. I'm finally at my career spot now with a few years seniority in, and have over 20 years left!
The next 5-10 years will be tough sometimes, especially watching your friends and family getting into six figure salaries in different fields, buying houses, toys, cottages, etc. It'll be up to you to decide if you want to continually sacrifice and sawtooth to get to an airline seat, or find happiness in the multitude of other rewarding positions. The pay increases make many 703's and corporate positions quite desirable now.

Don't delay any more though, strike while the iron is hot with current movement. While there are definitely a few good entry/mid level operators, you don't want to be stuck with any of the less reputable, pure stepping stone guys when the ride stops again.
Thank you for the inspiration! I’m in my mid 50s and I’d be happy to even fly something like a king air or PC12. I’m More into lifestyle and since I’m ready to retire from my other job I’d like to start flying even light corporate or ambulance.

I have hundreds of hours not thousands so I’ll see where my luck will strike?

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

ellinas wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:33 am
Vico56 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:10 am I know a guy who started flying commercially for a 705 at 58. I don't think age is a factor right now.
58! I guess there is hope. But how much time did he have?
700ish.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

archstantun wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:58 pm
flying4dollars wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:20 am
This is honestly a pretty broad question that is full of variables. What type of flying do you want to do? Airline? Charter? Corporate? Medevac? Fire surpression? Law enforcement? Cargo? Floats?

The answer really depends on what you want to do. At the end of the day, you need to find out what retirement age is for the company or type of flying you want to work for and decide for yourself what's too old. It's a very subjective question.

Cheers
Transatlantic Airline is the end goal, from there I can pivot to anything. Well. Not working until I'm mega old is the goal. But making some good money, having a great reputation, and being an excellent pilot are how I'd like to get there. At 33, I'd like to get a family going in the next 5 years. Max 7.
At 33 I think you have more than enough years to make a comfortable living doing ANY kind of flying :lol:

Good luck and enjoy the journey! Great time to be in the industry right now. Everyone is hiring.

Return to “Employment Forum”