IATPL vs Modular Self-Paced

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

777Aviate
Rank 1
Rank 1

IATPL vs Modular Self-Paced

Post by 777Aviate »

Hello Everyone,

I want some advice on how to go about flight training. I want to go from zero to CPL plus ratings and have thr funding rn to do it self paced. A family member who is a flight instructor told me to instead do an IATPL at BFC because it awards you a frozen ATPL and that gives you an edge for the regional. I'm just confused bcuz students from both programs seem to end up flying north or instructing but the modular guys pay around 60k while the IATPL pay in 6 figures. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IATPL vs Modular Self-Paced

Post by digits_ »

In Canada? Go modular.

If you google stuff, you'll see that the terminology of 'modular' vs 'integrated', is used frequently in European discussions. In Europe, you could make a case to do it integrated to increase your job chances. But in Canada it's not worth it at all. Especially given the cost difference.

Modular makes it also much easier to change flight schools if you don't like how they treat you.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ozinater
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IATPL vs Modular Self-Paced

Post by Ozinater »

I have taught modular/self-paced and IATPL students so I'll weigh in a bit.

First off, there is no such thing as a "frozen ATPL" in Canada, you either have an ATPL, or you don't. The integrated program allows you to write the ATPL exams with less experience than what you would normally require (200ish hours as opposed to the minimum 750). From the completion of exams, you have 5 years to complete the remaining experience requirements to get the ATPL issued.

When you graduate the program, you end up with a CPL, a multi-engine rating, and a group 1 instrument rating. Which I should stress, is the exact same set of licences and ratings that you get as a self-paced or modular student. The main difference is that you already wrote the SARON/SAMRA exams as I mentioned above, and you've likely gone through a sort of 2 crew familiarization module at the end of the program.

The reason you are likely confused about IATPL graduates working as instructors and up north likely goes back to what I said above. The IATPL program prepares you to enter the industry just like everyone else, and you become a 200-250 hour CPL holder with a Multi/Multi-IFR. You will still be required to get an entry-level job and build experience the same way as everyone else; instructing, banner towing, aerial survey, floats, ramp to flightline at different 703/704 operators etc. Unless you went somewhere like Seneca, where they take graduates into Jazz via the Pathway program (not sure if this is still actually happening), you won't have an "edge".

What will likely set you apart when you are sending your resume around to regional airlines is how much/what type of experience you have. If you have 2 crew experience or turbine experience, that will help a lot. If you have your ATPL already in hand, or you have the required experience to get it issued in short order (i.e. enough PIC time), that will probably take precedence over anything else in today's environment.

Most IATPL programs are very expensive, as I've heard from my students/coworkers/peers. The programs are usually rather condensed, and if you're someone who is willing to dedicate most of their time to the training, you can enter with zero experience and complete the program within a year to a year and a half. I know folks who liked the more structured layout of the program with the lesson plans etc.

I did everything self-paced at a relatively small flight school. Although it required some planning/self discipline/time management to get all the exams, licences and ratings done, it worked out quite well. It kept the costs down and allowed me to continue working at different times throughout the training. It also gave me some flexibility so that I could start instructing once the CPL was done, and then do the multi/multi-IFR later on when I was closer to actually needing them.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Flight Training”