Pivot Air & the DR

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Pivot Air & the DR

Post by ogopogo »

Six months now — why is this story so quiet on AvCanada?

https://skiesmag.com/news/pivot-airline ... -6-months/
---------- ADS -----------

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Pivot Air & the DR

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Why is Trudeau sitting on his hands. If he wanted them home he has the leverage.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Vote for strong leaders.

Core
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Core »

In ferry circles, since this event it's been suggested to take off and deal with it on approach into your home country. I'd agree.
If you're found guilty after an investigation, you're imprisoned either way, but if you're just an innocent bystander with no knowledge like at least a few of these guys in the DR (I'm very hesitant to say all....) at least you're home with due process.
The only gotcha is if it's a sting in a 3rd world country and "authorities" are already waiting for you to depart- if they can get you before liftoff you're locked up because you started running essentially. In this case you'd already be snookered before you even got out of bed... but I try not to think about those. At least I know I won't be shot down once airborne as it could be an act of war, it's the takeoff run that's the clencher.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

I love how everyone seems to be certain that this group is innocent. I don't think its much of a stretch to think maybe a wife beater could have been smuggling drugs.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm I love how everyone seems to be certain that this group is innocent. I don't think its much of a stretch to think maybe a wife beater could have been smuggling drugs.
They are innocent until proven guilty. At least where I am from.

If this happened in Canada you would not be detained for a lengthy investigation unless the evidence was great enough for a conviction.

Who cares if they are innocent or guilty. They should not be held unless they have the evidence to convict them. Why the @#$! would you detain someone for 6 months while you try to gather evidence. Of course this shit is only acceptable in shit hole countries.

Note to self, don't travel to countries like Dominican where gov is corrupt. Don't travel to Mexico where cartels run the country. Our gov will do nothing for us if we end up in similar circumstances, and maybe rightfully so. Travel at your own risk. Just to bad because these guys were traveling for their employment. So who holds the responsibility here to get them out? Company? Union? Country?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:14 pm
Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm I love how everyone seems to be certain that this group is innocent. I don't think its much of a stretch to think maybe a wife beater could have been smuggling drugs.
They are innocent until proven guilty. At least where I am from.

If this happened in Canada you would not be detained for a lengthy investigation unless the evidence was great enough for a conviction.

Who cares if they are innocent or guilty. They should not be held unless they have the evidence to convict them. Why the @#$! would you detain someone for 6 months while you try to gather evidence. Of course this shit is only acceptable in shit hole countries.

Note to self, don't travel to countries like Dominican where gov is corrupt. Don't travel to Mexico where cartels run the country. Our gov will do nothing for us if we end up in similar circumstances, and maybe rightfully so.
I'm no lawyer, but I'd say they're all a flight risk. Would you return to the DR to stand trial after being released on bail if you could return to Canada?

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Hell no I would not return.

But 6 months. What more evidence are they going to gather. They don't have evidence to convict and they just want someone to break and be the rat.

Im in favour of letting the guilty free rather than holding innocent people hostage. At this point I don't care if they are guilty or innocent, we should have never got to this point. But then again, not my country, not my rules, not me who has the power. Only thing I can do is in principle I would never travel there or book a vacation to a place that detains innocent Canadians.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:26 pm Hell no I would not return.

But 6 months. What more evidence are they going to gather. They don't have evidence to convict and they just want someone to break and be the rat.

Im in favour of letting the guilty free rather than holding innocent people hostage. At this point I don't care if they are guilty or innocent, we should have never got to this point. But then again, not my country, not my rules, not me who has the power. Only thing I can do is in principle I would never travel there or book a vacation to a place that detains innocent Canadians.
So you're openly admitting you would skip bail.........I'm sure their lawyers and judges are thinking along similar lines.

Well, power to you for sticking to those principals. I'm sure the world would be a much better place, at least in some regards, if more stuck to their convictions. Just don't go changing your mind when they have a really good deal on all-inclusives.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm ......t. I don't think its much of a stretch to think maybe a wife beater could have been smuggling drugs.

What?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

ogopogo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:23 pm
Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm ......t. I don't think its much of a stretch to think maybe a wife beater could have been smuggling drugs.

What?
One of the pilots is a convicted domestic abuser. Beat the living hell out of his wife to the point of causing disfigurement. His whole family was dragged into the trial as they were also accused to torturing his wife. Although I believe the family was acquitted due to lack of evidence, but the judge made sure to mention that he believed they had done what they were being accused of.

Core
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Core »

Maybe it was self defense... his wife could have been beating him for being the ex-GGN company man.
Dark jokes aside,

Anyhow I think you're mixing him up with his brother from what I know. Still very sketch however. It's the point in the story where most people pause a bit on the details of why they're being suspected and detained. To be clear, I'm not making any accusations whatsoever, and don't know more than anyone else, but this actor is a small fly in the ointment of innocence.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Innocent people get detained in Canada (Ottawa) as well. Bank accounts also get seized without due process. We are not that different sometimes...except its cold here.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Core wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:36 pm Maybe it was self defense... his wife could have been beating him for being the ex-GGN company man.
Now thats a beatdown I can get behind!!!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Somebody on that plane had to have been in on it. Sketchy company, and at least one sketchy crew member. They obviously have something on them or they would have been gone long ago.

Let’s Go Brandon
Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

I know one of the people arrested, their fucked. But bring the crew home for god sakes

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

A lot of you guys know much more about the history of GGN / Pivot than I do, obviously. I gather both the airline and one of the pilots are equally “sketchy”. Is the Government’s seeming lack of action also an indication that they’re onto the “sketchiness”?

I read on another forum a post by a guy who flies into the DR on a regular basis and he has stories of attempted contraband smuggling.....apparently there are some very clever schemes to add payload, even on a short turnaround.
Also begs the question about what really goes on at YYZ when no one's ‘looking’.

PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

The domestic abuser among the crew has less than stellar judgement. He is married to a fellow domestic abuser who also doesn’t respect the integrity of the justice system in canada and believes perjury is a good life choice. He has no concept of professionalism.

GGN not only continued to employ this man during the domestic assault trial that in which he, his brother, and his wife were defendants, but actually promoted him from crew scheduling to the flight line.

GGN and this pilot were a match made in heaven.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

WARMINGTON: Canadian airline crew detained for months in Dominican Republic to be released
https://o.canada.com/news/local-news/wa ... e-released

Have Pratts - Will Travel

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”