ALPA Petition

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

ALPA Petition

Post by FL030 »

Exciting times! There is a petition started directed at ACPA on whether we should merge with ALPA.

If the petition receives signatures from at least 30% of the active membership within 30 days, the MEC must put the question of the petition to a membership vote. If the membership votes in favour of the question (a simple majority is required, meaning greater than 50% of the votes cast), then the MEC has been directed by the membership to carry out the actions specified in the question.

You can find the link on the AC Pilots Forum.
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: ALPA Petition

Post by teacher »

The sooner the better…..

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Just to play devil's advocate, what kind bs do you think ACPA can pull in order to not put this issue to a membership vote? We need to be prepared for that.

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 pm Just to play devil's advocate, what kind bs do you think ACPA can pull in order to not put this issue to a membership vote? We need to be prepared for that.
With the current interim chair and makeup of the MEC I don't think that it will be an issue. Current interim chair was MEC chair at an alpa airline.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I am genuinely curious as to what it is that AC pilots figure ALPA will do for them?

Like ACPA, ALPA is run by the pilots. The folks running ACPA could easily run for the LEC, MEC and be voted in and quite frankly do the same stuff.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:30 am I am genuinely curious as to what it is that AC pilots figure ALPA will do for them?

Like ACPA, ALPA is run by the pilots. The folks running ACPA could easily run for the LEC, MEC and be voted in and quite frankly do the same stuff.
Yes, in both cases pilots represent pilots.

But at ALPA there is no CEO. That is a management designation.

And the volume of in-house resources available at ALPA vs ACPA are multiple times enhanced. No writing 5 or 6 figure cheques to JJ or others.

Also, the recall provisions actually work.

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

Is The CEO’s salary posted in the annual reviews?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:30 am I am genuinely curious as to what it is that AC pilots figure ALPA will do for them?
An effective governance structure is the biggest one.

In ACPA, the power is concentrated in a few behind closed doors. Our constitution is only a suggestion. It's a top down driven model vs. a line pilot driven organization.

Of course the resources ALPA offers are huge too.

We haven't seen a real wawcon comparison, other than the informative videos/graphs put out by individual members, in over a decade. And when they do put out some snippet, usually comparing us to ourselves ie. A scale to B scale to C scale as when they were selling the Cargo concessions they don't get it right! ACPA does not fight contract violations or liberties in language application. The language our LRD comes up with is typically vague and problematic. Comms is horrible, many guys don't even get emails, no social media, few updates, we have important committees that haven't put out an update in years.

I could go on and on... ACPA is ready for the trash. It has served only as a club to empower a few who never did act in our interests, it funds displacements, and pay top ups for their buddies. We've had fully displaced chairs full time doing absolutely.nothing and some doing other things entirely running companies, renovating properties, going back to university - while being paid by the membership. And of course they get out for some nice getaways with $1000 bottles of wine being expensed, not to mention the company swag, nice dinners, box seats at games...

ACPA is irredeemable. BURN IT DOWN.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

By migrating to ALPA all Canadian 705 air carrier's will be with the representative body. We may finally be able to generate some "unity" within the larger Canadian pilot fraternity.

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

rudder wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:40 am
But at ALPA there is no CEO. That is a management designation.

And the volume of in-house resources available at ALPA vs ACPA are multiple times enhanced. No writing 5 or 6 figure cheques to JJ or others.
ALPA has a general manager paid in the six figures, manages a staff of hundreds. That was JJ's job at ALPA for over a decade. Same idea as the ACPA CEO.

You're right we won't be writing cheques to consultants for $100,000 anymore. But we will be paying about $5M more in dues by my math.

dumpsterfire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dumpsterfire »

Continuing with ACPA is literally the definition of insanity

Total dumpsterfire. Enough is enough

unionism101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unionism101 »

Jalmer's reputation at ALPA is trash.

There is a reason he isn't there anymore.

He is known for being a disconnected old man. Much like the old guard of ACPA

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

dumpsterfire wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:32 am Continuing with ACPA is literally the definition of insanity

Total dumpsterfire. Enough is enough
I'm happy to listen to a pitch to join ALPA. When the time comes, show me the PowerPoint and make your case. We'll ask our questions and we'll vote on it.

Just don't tell me that we should join ALPA to save money on consultants. Doesn't make any sense to me.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FL030 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 am Exciting times! There is a petition started directed at ACPA on whether we should merge with ALPA.

If the petition receives signatures from at least 30% of the active membership within 30 days, the MEC must put the question of the petition to a membership vote. If the membership votes in favour of the question (a simple majority is required, meaning greater than 50% of the votes cast), then the MEC has been directed by the membership to carry out the actions specified in the question.

You can find the link on the AC Pilots Forum.
How is it going with the petition?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

digits_ wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:49 am How is it going with the petition?
The required signatures have been reached. Next step is an audit by ACPA to confirm the signatures are valid.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FL030 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:57 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:49 am How is it going with the petition?
The required signatures have been reached. Next step is an audit by ACPA to confirm the signatures are valid.
That was quick! Good luck!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Regarding dues, this is the quintessential cheap pilot pitch. ACPA is cheaper? That’s the pitch? To represent you professionally and enforce your contract, you want the lowest bidder? Fortunately we’ve seen their work and its DIY-grade. Time to bring in the pros. Yes it will be more expensive that’s rather the point.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It takes spending money to make money.

So...there is a chance AC pilots will be ALPA repesented in the short to medium term?

crashpadcommute
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crashpadcommute »

Dockjock wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:47 pm Regarding dues, this is the quintessential cheap pilot pitch. ACPA is cheaper? That’s the pitch? To represent you professionally and enforce your contract, you want the lowest bidder? Fortunately we’ve seen their work and its DIY-grade. Time to bring in the pros. Yes it will be more expensive that’s rather the point.
Truth is once the largest pilot group in the world, American, joins the ranks of ALPA, and AC adds another 4,000, dues will be cheaper than ACPA

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

crashpadcommute wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:17 pm
Truth is once the largest pilot group in the world, American, joins the ranks of ALPA, and AC adds another 4,000, dues will be cheaper than ACPA
ALPA currently represents over 65,000 pilots.

WestJet and Encore both contribute less in dues than they receive back from ALPA. I doubt that Air Canada will be any different.

Return to “Air Canada”