ALPA Petition

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ALPA Petition

Post by RippleRock »

Protonpilot wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm
RippleRock wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:14 am Some of us are very eager to see the yellow, colluding, capitulating mess that is ACPA thrown hard into a dumpster and set alight.

Can't happen quickly enough in my world. Any "initiative" otherwise seems a waste of resources and time.
Some of us are worried that you're also willing to "set alight" our $50M, handing it over to ALPA Washington without due diligence, as long as we throw ACPA in the dumpster as soon as possible.

There's a process that needs to be followed here. It's not a waste of resources and time.

First and foremost, this is a negotiation with ALPA, about what we pay, what representation we get, what resources we get, and what happens to a very big sum of funds that have been accumulated over decades. Think 'prenup' when one party is entering into a marriage with a lot of assets.

You're breaking rule number 1 of negotiations. Announcing that you're willing to sign a merger deal no matter what.
You clearly haven't been here long enough to fully investigate and understand the complete capitulatory, colluding "$hitshow" that is ACPA. Tell us all just exactly how long you have been paying attention as an employee. Over two decades I've earned my right to an opinion and don't need to be "corrected" by you.

I've been watching WACON get decimated and pieced out for 22 years. We could not possibly do worse. Every time we go into negots, we take in a horse to trade, and come back with a damn donkey. No snap-backs. All losses permanent. The term "snap-back" doesn't even exist in the ACPA volcabulary.

Yes, I am willing to do a "sight unseen" signing. Show me where. The faster ACPA is incinerated the better.
---------- ADS -----------

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

The ‘20% no vote’ aren’t only voting against ALPA

They’re voting to NOT be educated in ALPA. They are saying NO to learning more and hearing what ALPA offers.

What kind of person chooses to remain ignorant and uninformed?

These are the kind of people that make the rest of the AC pilot group look like a bunch of chuckle heads.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Are we sure they aren't voting to avoid a strike during their "best five" years. Would that lower their pensions?

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Yes, I am willing to do a "sight unseen" signing. Show me where.
That's what I thought.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:14 pm Are we sure they aren't voting to avoid a strike during their "best five" years. Would that lower their pensions?
I doubt a couple days on strike (it wouldn’t last long) would have any effect on one’s “best five years”. Even two weeks, the length of the last strike would have little effect.

Understand, it’s “the best five years” not “the last five years”. With the pay cuts during Covid, most retiring now are finding their best five years ended three years ago.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Protonpilot wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:07 am
RippleRock wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Yes, I am willing to do a "sight unseen" signing. Show me where.
That's what I thought.
You think we can do better with the "train wreck" ? Seriously??? How long have you been paying attention? You don't have to go back far to se a serious trend of minor and epic failures. Concessionary contracts and MOA's abound.

Explain why ACPA is worth --one more second-- of "fixing". ACPA's inner circle clearly ignored the report and recommendations last time we tried to "fix" stuff.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How are AC pilots planning on stopping the same corrupt representatives from just moving over to ALPA? The union is only as good as its reps. You'll have the same shit you have know just under a alpa banner?

You union isn't the problem it's the people running it.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Malfunction wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:25 pm How are AC pilots planning on stopping the same corrupt representatives from just moving over to ALPA? The union is only as good as its reps. You'll have the same shit you have know just under a alpa banner?

You union isn't the problem it's the people running it.
This is quite likely true for the elected positions. But it is not the case for the Staff that are employed by ACPA and have not contributed to our success. An example is our LRD department. The optics are of a staff that do little to improve the collective agreement but do as much to maintain their own well being. While this is likely true in other organizations it doesn’t seem to have infected the entire organization in the ways it has at ACPA.

Certain policies are also different within the constitution. While in ALPA it states
However, nothing in this Section shall authorize any Master Executive Council to initiate any action that is inconsistent with this Constitution and By-Laws or with the best interests of the Association or the general membership.
At ACPA it states.
In discharging his or her duties, every MEC Member shall:
1) Act in the best interests of the Association; and
That is a pretty major difference.

TCAS II
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TCAS II »

What happened to the reasons that CAPLA became ACPA in the first place? Are those reasons still valid?
What does one union have over another when dealing with the Canadian government (who pushed back to work legislation and removed the right to strike)?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

TCAS II wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 pm What happened to the reasons that CAPLA became ACPA in the first place? Are those reasons still valid?
What does one union have over another when dealing with the Canadian government (who pushed back to work legislation and removed the right to strike)?
Shhhhhh

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:50 pm
TCAS II wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 pm What happened to the reasons that CAPLA became ACPA in the first place? Are those reasons still valid?
Shhhhhh
The Air Canada pilots left CALPA over issues of self determination. The voting regime permitted other groups to team up and force things on the AC pilots. The straw that broke the camels back was, as we all know, the Picher seniority arbitration. This voting regime doesn’t exist at ALPA.

We would be joining ALPA International. However being Canadian means we would also participate on the Canada board. The Canada board would deal with Canadian issues like lobbying.

Lobbying is an issue we can only solve under one tent. We have two problems. One we don’t have a single voice. Two we need someone on the hill ALL the time. That takes dollars. Trying to approach politicians on an ad hoc bass, in our parliamentary system, doesn’t work. This is actually a very good question and if you approach someone on the unity committee you will find this is actually an issue that will likely be part of current negotiations with ALPA.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

A number of years ago all the pilot groups in Canada got together and spent several years lobbying Transport Canada to improve the then Nigerian like flight duty time regulations. Obviously their efforts were opposed by industry but despite this, TC eventually agreed to change and improve the regulations pertaining to flight duty times. At the 11th hour, ALPA reversed their position and threw the entire effort under the bus. Is this the same ALPA you claim is going to lobby for us?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

sportingrifle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:20 pm A number of years ago all the pilot groups in Canada got together and spent several years lobbying Transport Canada to improve the then Nigerian like flight duty time regulations. Obviously their efforts were opposed by industry but despite this, TC eventually agreed to change and improve the regulations pertaining to flight duty times. At the 11th hour, ALPA reversed their position and threw the entire effort under the bus. Is this the same ALPA you claim is going to lobby for us?
Your version of history leaves out our part in the collapse of the safer skies coalition.

It ignores the utter hypocrisy that while our FSAG committee was part of the safer skies coalition at the TC working group, the ACPA negotiating committee was enthusiastically endorsing continued 2 pilot long range flying at night, regular blocked flying to almost 90 hours, continued and unlimited overtime to 118 hours a month, not to mention the appeal to unrestricted PoR to beyond 10 hours at night if called during designated rest.... and that is just off the top of my head.

While FSAG was working at the TC working group other elements within ACPA were working to subvert and undermine FSAG and the safer skies coalition.

It should surprise no one that the outcome was less than ideal. There are a few fingers pointing in a bunch of directions including us.

I would suggest that the post mortem on this failure, if undertaken, would further show that not working within the wider pilot community once again bit us in the azz. A once in a 20 year opportunity blown.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

March 13, 2023

ALPA Pilots,

I’m very pleased to report that our union reached another milestone in our work to advance the profession, keep flying safe, and promote the power of unionism when ALPA and the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) reached an agreement in principle (AIP) recently and set the stage for a potential merger of our two unions.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Nothing will change... smoke and mirror's

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

cdnavater wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 am March 13, 2023

ALPA Pilots,

I’m very pleased to report that our union reached another milestone in our work to advance the profession, keep flying safe, and promote the power of unionism when ALPA and the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) reached an agreement in principle (AIP) recently and set the stage for a potential merger of our two unions.
Is that for real? I didn't see an e-mail or anything.

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:03 am
cdnavater wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 am March 13, 2023

ALPA Pilots,

Is that for real? I didn't see an e-mail or anything.
It's from Delta's MEC I believe.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

200Above wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 am It's from Delta's MEC I believe.

Why would it be from Delta MEC and nothing from ALPA or ACPA? Am I missing something ?(Disclaimer: just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet)

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

It's simply the Delta MEC advising their members that ACPA and ALPA have come to an AIP.

I don't think there's any subliminal message(s) implied. Just communication.

Additionally, ACPA did put out a mailer yesterday with dates/times on information sessions to discuss the AIP.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Here is the whole thing, it was an email to all ALPA Pilots from the new President

A Message from Capt. Jason Ambrosi
March 13, 2023

ALPA Pilots,

As always, you, the line pilot, drive our union’s agenda. Your views on the proposed merger will be represented by ALPA’s Canada Board, Executive Council, and Executive Board members as each of these bodies, as well as the ACPA pilots, vote on the issue in the coming weeks. If the proposal is ratified, our combined union will have greater strength in negotiating collective agreements and advancing airline pilots’ interests, such as protecting labour rights and defending against efforts to remove pilots from the flight deck altogether.

Those who put profit ahead of safety are working overtime to undermine the foundational reason flying is the safest mode of transportation in the world: having at least two pilots at all times on every airliner flight deck. To combat this threat, we recently convened pilot union leaders from around the globe to develop a campaign to make sure the flying and shipping public continue to benefit from the current high standard of aviation safety. We launched this collective effort with an Aviation Week opinion piece titled “Removing Airline Pilots From the Flight Deck Is a Gamble with Safety,” which I jointly authored with the presidents of the European Cockpit Association and the International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Associations. Our unified message is that the world’s airline pilots will not allow special interests to roll back or weaken our industry’s safety record.

At the same time, our unity allows ALPA pilot groups to achieve historic gains through new agreements, such as those at Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and Spirit. The full weight of our union’s resources is now focused on pilot groups that continue to fight management foot-dragging in negotiations, such as FedEx Express, WestJet, and ATI.

This week, I’ve been invited to represent you at the Federal Aviation Administration’s Safety Summit and before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. I’ll reinforce the need to take every possible action to protect our current gold standard of safety in air transportation, including maintaining first officer qualification, experience, and training requirements. If you haven’t already, I urge you to participate in ALPA’s first Call to Action of 2023 to remind lawmakers that ALPA pilots speak with a unified voice.

Call to Action
As every airline pilot understands, strong collective agreements and contracts along with a safe workplace and industry are not only essential to protecting our passengers and cargo shippers—they are critical to inspiring the next generation of pilots to join our profession. For all these reasons and more, ALPA is bringing the world’s pilots together.

In unity,

Cpt-Jason-Ambrosi-EmailtemplateV2photo_2400779.png

Capt. Jason Ambrosi
President
Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l

alpaball_934779.png

7950 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 400S, McLean, VA 22102
703-689-2270 | ALPA.org

Unsubscribe

Return to “Air Canada”