ALPA Petition

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ALPA Petition

Post by hithere »

Air Canada picked some arbitrary date(I believe it’s in 2011 or 2012) and anyone hired after that date(pilots and FA) does not get to sit in J while deadheading even if there are empty seats there. ALPA challenged it during the bargaining of the Georgian and Sky Regional acquisitions and were told it was a no-go.
So if you see a Jazz crew deadheading with the FAs in J and the pilots in Y it’s because the FAs were hired pre-2011 and the pilots post 2011.
It’s ridiculous because the Jazz pilots often have multiple legs to operate after sitting in the middle seat of a YYC-YYZ deadhead.
As I said the JAZ MEC has been trying to rectify this disgrace for several years. Maybe in 2023 it can be addressed
---------- ADS -----------

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

hithere wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:21 am Air Canada picked some arbitrary date(I believe it’s in 2011 or 2012) and anyone hired after that date(pilots and FA) does not get to sit in J while deadheading even if there are empty seats there. ALPA challenged it during the bargaining of the Georgian and Sky Regional acquisitions and were told it was a no-go.
So if you see a Jazz crew deadheading with the FAs in J and the pilots in Y it’s because the FAs were hired pre-2011 and the pilots post 2011.
It’s ridiculous because the Jazz pilots often have multiple legs to operate after sitting in the middle seat of a YYC-YYZ deadhead.
As I said the JAZ MEC has been trying to rectify this disgrace for several years. Maybe in 2023 it can be addressed
There’s two dates, it was changed in 2015, all new hires after that are C4 with no DH in J.
Those hired before 2015 but after 2006 are also C4 but get two C2s per year(yee haw) however still get upgraded on DH if a seat is available.
I’m very familiar with this as I was a C2 but missed the cut off for keeping them by a few months, it shouldn’t have happened at all but even more upsetting was that they took away something I had.
I had a very senior Captain scold me for being ticked off about this, I asked him to give up his C2s in solidarity, guess how that went.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Thanks Hithere, I didn't know that. I was questioning pos space Deadheading, not the never ending C2 / C4 debacle.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Welcome to another solid Canadian tradition, the "them & US" culture is alive and well

"I had a very senior Captain scold me for being ticked off about this, I asked him to give up his C2s in solidarity, guess how that went."

It's the "Why give an inch when you can have the whole mile" mind set

Last edited by Loon-A-Tic on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Find another Airline on the planet that a F/A would be in Business Class and the Pilots in Economy. Talk about a seriously screwed up industry we have in this Country.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 am Find another Airline on the planet that a F/A would be in Business Class and the Pilots in Economy. Talk about a seriously screwed up industry we have in this Country.
Yup. I could not have said it better myself.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 am Find another Airline on the planet that a F/A would be in Business Class and the Pilots in Economy. Talk about a seriously screwed up industry we have in this Country.
We all have the same name at the top of our pay cheque, we are all working as hard as the next person towards the same goals and objectives.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

....and your point is?

Lance rose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lance rose »

I think the point was.....ACPA looks like Tarzan, fights like Jane

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

ACPA looks more like early career Jonah hill

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

So where is this going? Anyone know???

There is a clear mandate from the group.

The new MEC seems to be hard at work approving new MOUs without Membership input.

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

RippleRock wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:12 pm So where is this going? Anyone know???

The new MEC seems to be hard at work approving new MOUs without Membership input.
Are you referring to the recent MOA from the MASC Committee? The MOA in question had to do with claiming the cost of a cold breakfast if your Rice Krispies don't snap, crackle and pop to your satisfaction. And other nit noy.

Membership votes are required for changes to the contract that are 'material'. Not sure this one met that standard. Is it your expectation that under ALPA this kind of thing will go to a membership vote?

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

RippleRock wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:12 pm So where is this going? Anyone know???

From the January 6 MEC newsletter:

“Next week we have an MEC Meeting scheduled in Toronto, where we have numerous items on our agenda from reengaging with ALPA for unity discussions, to strategizing with our Negotiations Committee for the upcoming bargaining cycle. Stay tuned for an update after the meeting has wrapped.”

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Protonpilot wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Are you referring to the recent MOA from the MASC Committee? The MOA in question had to do with claiming the cost of a cold breakfast if your Rice Krispies don't snap, crackle and pop to your satisfaction. And other nit noy.

Membership votes are required for changes to the contract that are 'material'. Not sure this one met that standard. Is it your expectation that under ALPA this kind of thing will go to a membership vote?

Uhhh....ya.....whatever......

Thank you to DashTrash for an actual answer to my question. Cheers.

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 pm

I'll try to be more clear, I am asking you a question here.

You're saying the new MEC (very pro ALPA by the way) is approving MOUs without membership input.

Can you help us out here? What MOUs are you talking about? They've only been sitting for a few months, and the only MOU I've seen since they took office has to do with meal claims. Big deal.

Am I missing something?

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Protonpilot wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:32 am
RippleRock wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 pm

I'll try to be more clear, I am asking you a question here.

You're saying the new MEC (very pro ALPA by the way) is approving MOUs without membership input.

Can you help us out here? What MOUs are you talking about? They've only been sitting for a few months, and the only MOU I've seen since they took office has to do with meal claims. Big deal.

Am I missing something?
The new MOA settled many minor issues that were heading for the grievance process.

Such as:
voluntary sim transportation cost ($5)
Cancelled hotel rooms while training ($25)
Gratuity allowance while training at night ($5)
Cold Breakfast not boarded ($12)

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Dash.Trash wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:08 pm

“Next week we have an MEC Meeting scheduled in Toronto, where we have numerous items on our agenda from reengaging with ALPA for unity discussions, to strategizing with our Negotiations Committee for the upcoming bargaining cycle. Stay tuned for an update after the meeting has wrapped.”
I'm disappointed to learn that they haven't re-engaged ALPA already given the strong survey results and subsequent landslide membership vote. Do you think they are going to drag this out?

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:53 pm

I'm disappointed to learn that they haven't re-engaged ALPA already given the strong survey results and subsequent landslide membership vote. Do you think they are going to drag this out?
I heard from a reasonably reputable source that the Unity Initiative committee has been re-stood up and I believe ALPA has been engaged. I interpret “reengaging with ALPA” to mean discuss the Unity initiative committee’s progress.

Hopefully with the progress that has previously been made in years past will help expedite the process.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Dash.Trash wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:43 pm
Daniel Cooper wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:53 pm

I heard from a reasonably reputable source that the Unity Initiative committee has been re-stood up and I believe ALPA has been engaged. I interpret “reengaging with ALPA” to mean discuss the Unity initiative committee’s progress.

Hopefully with the progress that has previously been made in years past will help expedite the process.
My understanding is a decision was made to strike a deal with ALPA first. Then do the ALPA information road shows once it is known exactly what joining ALPA will look like. Makes sense to me.

The negotiations process might be quick as there was a previous deal to build upon. But no guarantee of course.

When it’s done we will hear more about next steps. Roadshows and ultimately a vote.

It is my understanding that the ALPA board that has to give its blessing to any merge only meets twice a year. Once in the spring. Once in the fall.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Some of us are very eager to see the yellow, colluding, capitulating mess that is ACPA thrown hard into a dumpster and set alight.

Can't happen quickly enough in my world. Any "initiative" otherwise seems a waste of resources and time.

Return to “Air Canada”