Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Negotiations

Post by truedude »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:48 pm
truedude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:37 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 pm AC’s money comes from high end business travel and international routes. Pulling back a few small routes will affect them undoubtedly , but to a lesser degree than shutting down wide body work. It’s all strategic and we are merely pawns.

Who else is queueing up to tackle that market share in Canada? I guess people have options to travel south of border in order to cross the pond.
If they paid properly, they wouldn't be shutting down any routes, and they would be starving the competition of pilots. Instead they are handing over the routes to the competition, while also giving them pilots to crew their airplanes. Brilliant business strategy.
I value your opinion…. But let’s be honest, AC has a spotted record with regards to the airlines it hires to do regional work. They shut down Georgian and sky mid contract. What’s stopping that happening with jazz and then starting up sky regional 2.0? they clearly are showing that they are happy breaking certain sections of the agreement.

Don’t forget EVAS used to do work for them too.

In AC’s eyes, there’s always a cheaper solution.
And that new airline would be faced with the same problem as jazz. Hiring pilots. And in this case, there is federal law in place that would force whomever is taking the work, to take our contract and us too. They can't shut us down and simply transfer the work. They can shrink us to 80 and then give anything over that to someone new. But as before, they will need pilots.
---------- ADS -----------

GIVCE!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GIVCE! »

Can you imagine them starting up another whipsaw regional in this market? With DEC practically everywhere there is no perk as a new employee. Even with wages at par to Jazz the pool of applicants would be minimal to nonexistent imo. If they offer wage incentives at the new operation, hypothetically, why would not they just put that capital into Jazz and save the headache? Surely they could just pay the pilots what we deserve and we all move on happy…lol. Yeah right. I just don’t see the whipsaw model working this time…which begs the question…what are the other likely scenarios? How is this a win for AC? A few years of regrouping and consolidation of market share while operating a minimal regional feed is what I see. No raises for us at all. Sad, but true.
G

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

GIVCE! wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:22 pm Can you imagine them starting up another whipsaw regional in this market? With DEC practically everywhere there is no perk as a new employee. Even with wages at par to Jazz the pool of applicants would be minimal to nonexistent imo. If they offer wage incentives at the new operation, hypothetically, why would not they just put that capital into Jazz and save the headache? Surely they could just pay the pilots what we deserve and we all move on happy…lol. Yeah right. I just don’t see the whipsaw model working this time…which begs the question…what are the other likely scenarios? How is this a win for AC? A few years of regrouping and consolidation of market share while operating a minimal regional feed is what I see. No raises for us at all. Sad, but true.
G
Yea I could. There’s always someone with less experience than you trying to take your seat for less money. Nature of the beast. Remember the days where people were saying “I’d work for free. That mentality still exists.

Also, the thing about starting up a new airline…especially regional, you cut down the scale. Ain’t no 12 year scale paid captain at a new regional.
It’s been done before, and it will happen again.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

truedude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:56 pm
truedude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:37 pm

If they paid properly, they wouldn't be shutting down any routes, and they would be starving the competition of pilots. Instead they are handing over the routes to the competition, while also giving them pilots to crew their airplanes. Brilliant business strategy.
I value your opinion…. But let’s be honest, AC has a spotted record with regards to the airlines it hires to do regional work. They shut down Georgian and sky mid contract. What’s stopping that happening with jazz and then starting up sky regional 2.0? they clearly are showing that they are happy breaking certain sections of the agreement.

And that new airline would be faced with the same problem as jazz. Hiring pilots. And in this case, there is federal law in place that would force whomever is taking the work, to take our contract and us too. They can't shut us down and simply transfer the work. They can shrink us to 80 and then give anything over that to someone new. But as before, they will need pilots.
Which law? Can you provide a reference? I’m actually curious to read this…

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:39 pm

Successorship and/or Sale of a Business. It is a Federal statute. Basically the same reason that Jazz took the GGN and SKY pilots when they took over the work.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

We will see what will happen soon enough. Four way meetings apparently scheduled between AC, JAZZ, ACPA and ALPA in the next couple of weeks...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

swervin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:47 pm We will see what will happen soon enough. Four way meetings apparently scheduled between AC, JAZZ, ACPA and ALPA in the next couple of weeks...
Finally…… hope that it is an adult conversation.

Employers will pay more. Unions will (hopefully) address mobility logistics.

Status quo will not work for anybody. But nobody can force change to CBA’s. All must be consensual.

This isn’t the first time that efforts like this have been made. However, if true it would be the first time that all four parties will be in the same room at the same time. I hope that the pilot ‘leaders’ will act like leaders. Fix this for both the pilots that are on the property(s) AND the ones that will be coming in the future. Do something to be proud of. Do something positive for the profession.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:12 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:39 pm

Successorship and/or Sale of a Business. It is a Federal statute. Basically the same reason that Jazz took the GGN and SKY pilots when they took over the work.
Fair point. However…may I point out that sky regional and/or Georgian was never a sale or a merger. Those airlines just got their CPA taken away.

Jazz took the pilots cuz they were type rated and itching for jobs

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:28 pm
swervin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:47 pm We will see what will happen soon enough. Four way meetings apparently scheduled between AC, JAZZ, ACPA and ALPA in the next couple of weeks...

Status quo will not work for anybody. But nobody can force change to CBA’s. All must be consensual.

This isn’t the first time that efforts like this have been made. However, if true it would be the first time that all four parties will be in the same room at the same time. I hope that the pilot ‘leaders’ will act like leaders. Fix this for both the pilots that are on the property(s) AND the ones that will be coming in the future. Do something to be proud of. Do something positive for the profession.
I’m with you here. I hope all four parties can come to a decent consensus

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 pm

The important element to consider will be that any change to the AC CBA this spring will require a vote on the ACPA side. We all know what the outcome was last fall. It would have to be significantly better in order to pass...Anything that does not include an immediate 20% raise at the very very very very LEAST has no chance of being ratified.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

JoeyBarton wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:16 am The important element to consider will be that any change to the AC CBA this spring will require a vote on the ACPA side. We all know what the outcome was last fall. It would have to be significantly better in order to pass...Anything that does not include an immediate 20% raise at the very very very very LEAST has no chance of being ratified.
That's the crux of the issue, isn't it? Is management prepared to accept the changing reality if the industry, and increase compensation appropriately.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

JoeyBarton wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:16 am
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 pm

The important element to consider will be that any change to the AC CBA this spring will require a vote on the ACPA side. We all know what the outcome was last fall. It would have to be significantly better in order to pass...Anything that does not include an immediate 20% raise at the very very very very LEAST has no chance of being ratified.
It isn’t a 20% across the board raise that is required. Yes, a mark-to-market adjustment is necessary but it should apply on a non-uniform basis.

It is closer to 50% for new-hires. New-hire pay should end after 1 year (probation). All FO rates calibrated to 66.67% of corresponding CA tenure pay rate.

Top scale CA (whether it is Jazz or a 777 skipper) don’t need the same degree of rate increase as other parts of their respective pilot demographic. That doesn’t mean that those rates should not be increased, it just means that the increases required are not one-size-fits-all.

Ultimately, rates need to be set to what is required to attract and retain well qualified pilots.the better the pay - the better the candidate resume.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

:?:

Are you sure this is legit?

Source?

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:07 pm

Source?
Saw this from Reuters

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... 18bb39d8aa

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:11 pm

Source?
Saw this from Reuters

That is talking about ACPA negotiating a Union ( not pilot) merger with ALPA. That has been a slowly turning wheel since 2017. Got stuck in the mud for a bit but is now rolling again. Yes those meetings are on going.

It has nothing to do with Jazz or AC management though.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Fanblade wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:11 pm

Source?
Saw this from Reuters

That is talking about ACPA negotiating a Union ( not pilot) merger with ALPA. That has been a slowly turning wheel since 2017. Got stuck in the mud for a bit but is now rolling again. Yes those meetings are on going.

It has nothing to do with Jazz or AC management though.
Fair point.

Inthrustwetrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

negotiating still going on? Or is it over ?

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Inthrustwetrust wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:22 pm negotiating still going on? Or is it over ?
From what I've gleaned from this site I'm not sure that any "significant" negotiations ever really started. The parties have met on a few occasion, agreed to disagree, retreated to their respective corners without any substantial resolutions being reached. :roll:

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

The company so far has been only looking for “free” ways to fix their issues. Same at mainline.

That is understandable. Their job is to make us as cheap as possible. There are other issues at Jazz like who pays for the increases? Jazz will want AC to cough it up. AC probably wants Jazz to eat the cost increases.

But you have to know that their first choice would be for the pilots to eat the cost.

Just wait them out. Summer 2024 starts to come under threat within 8-10 months.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Fanblade wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:12 am The company so far has been only looking for “free” ways to fix their issues. Same at mainline.

That is understandable. Their job is to make us as cheap as possible. There are other issues at Jazz like who pays for the increases? Jazz will want AC to cough it up. AC probably wants Jazz to eat the cost increases.

But you have to know that their first choice would be for the pilots to eat the cost.

Just wait them out. Summer 2024 starts to come under threat within 8-10 months.
The managements know our pay is a small piece of the pie. It just kills them to think of paying us more. How much fuel is wasted waiting for gates in YYZ or taxing for departure on 05 every day while they never depart off the 06’s anymore? The airlines south of the border pay 2-3x what we make and it’s not an issue.

I agree wait them out. Jazz doesn’t have to give us a cent since we signed that awesome contract till 2035 but if they can’t get qualified applicants then that’s their problem. :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”