Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Negotiations

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:25 am
rudder wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 am
truedude wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:00 pm

For now, but I don't see many coming from Westjet anymore for that crap pay.

And people will not endure crap pay at Jazz to get there, which is really the only lure Jazz has. That is gone. Those days are gone. And if Air Canada wants a regional feed, they need to get with the program and stop screwing around.

And AC has started to see people leave too. It might not be many, but it is more than they have ever had.
I would also not completely rule out an AC/TRZ round 2 discussion.

Canada is evolving back to a duopoly (think CDN/AC) with some fringe carriers which will largely exist in the ULCC segment. Canada’s population base cannot sustain the multitude of carriers that are proposing ‘growth’ initiatives.

TRZ presents hundreds of potential pilots for AC in achieving its 6000 pilot goal with less consequence if AC is forced to drop positions of the TRZ route network to satisfy anti-competition concerns.

If WJ can gobble up SWG then AC can gobble up TRZ. And it can still be had for a bargain basement price.
I don't think so. The only way forward is to pay more. But I look forward to them testing your theory and seeing where it gets them
AC will be paying more to its pilots. A lot more. But that will be settled within the collective bargaining process.

Commercial decisions will still occur. Nothing is static. Fleet growth can happen through either or both organic sources or assimilation. I would assign a low probability of a renewed TRZ transaction. But it is not zero.
---------- ADS -----------

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 am
rudder wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 am

I would also not completely rule out an AC/TRZ round 2 discussion.

Canada is evolving back to a duopoly (think CDN/AC) with some fringe carriers which will largely exist in the ULCC segment. Canada’s population base cannot sustain the multitude of carriers that are proposing ‘growth’ initiatives.

TRZ presents hundreds of potential pilots for AC in achieving its 6000 pilot goal with less consequence if AC is forced to drop positions of the TRZ route network to satisfy anti-competition concerns.

If WJ can gobble up SWG then AC can gobble up TRZ. And it can still be had for a bargain basement price.
I don't think so. The only way forward is to pay more. But I look forward to them testing your theory and seeing where it gets them
AC will be paying more to its pilots. A lot more. But that will be settled within the collective bargaining process.

Commercial decisions will still occur. Nothing is static. Fleet growth can happen through either or both organic sources or assimilation. I would assign a low probability of a renewed TRZ transaction. But it is not zero.

Sure, and by that logic I can see them buying jazz and merging us date of hire. I mean I assign it a low probability, but not zero.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:52 pm

Sure, and by that logic I can see them buying jazz and merging us date of hire. I mean I assign it a low probability, but not zero.
I would assign a marginally better than ‘low probability’ to an AC repurchase of Jazz operation from CHR. It would also involve a termination of the current CPA with a replacement leasing agreement for CHR.

The difference between TRZ and Jazz is that one triggers a merger and one does not. Simply a return to pre-CCAA business model between AC and ACR.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:15 pm

I would assign a marginally better than ‘low probability’ to an AC repurchase of Jazz operation from CHR. It would also involve a termination of the current CPA with a replacement leasing agreement for CHR.

The difference between TRZ and Jazz is that one triggers a merger and one does not. Simply a return to pre-CCAA business model between AC and ACR.
Agreed my friend. Plus I believe AC owns some of the jazz fleet, at least a portion of the E1 fleet

Man_in_the_sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Man_in_the_sky »

0.000001% is not zero!..

Always funny when a senior Jazz pilots mention '' we're gonna merge DOH ''

Sure thing Bob, you'll get awarded 777 CA soon ! just gotta get some jet experience first eh !

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Man_in_the_sky wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 am

0.000001% is not zero!..

Sure thing Bob, you'll get awarded 777 CA soon ! just gotta get some jet experience first eh !
It seems you failed to catch the sarcasm. Move away from the keyboard and try again tomorrow.

Man_in_the_sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Man_in_the_sky »

truedude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:06 am

0.000001% is not zero!..

It seems you failed to catch the sarcasm. Move away from the keyboard and try again tomorrow.
ironically, i was adding a layer of sarcasm.. which you did not get ...

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Man_in_the_sky wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:07 am

0.000001% is not zero!..

I picked up on your sarcasm. But no one was suggesting DOH was a real possibility. I used it as an exaggerated example to mock the idea another Transat offer was going to happen.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

truedude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:29 pm

I picked up on your sarcasm. But no one was suggesting DOH was a real possibility. I used it as an exaggerated example to mock the idea another Transat offer was going to happen.
If I've learned one thing during my tenure as a professional pilot, it's that pilots have absolutely no idea what they're talking about when it comes to strategic corporate moves.

If you asked any pilot if they thought it was realistic that AC was about to place an offer to purchase Transat in early 2019, they would have said, "you're out to lunch". Given you every explanation why it wasn't going to happen and that it was a pipe dream. The truth is, they're merely telling you what they hope will happen, or won't happen.

This is why pilots don't run airlines. We may know how to fly an aircraft, but that doesn't mean we know how to run a business.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 pm

If I've learned one thing during my tenure as a professional pilot, it's that pilots have absolutely no idea what they're talking about when it comes to strategic corporate moves.

If you asked any pilot if they thought it was realistic that AC was about to place an offer to purchase Transat in early 2019, they would have said, "you're out to lunch". Given you every explanation why it wasn't going to happen and that it was a pipe dream. The truth is, they're merely telling you what they hope will happen, or won't happen.

This is why pilots don't run airlines. We may know how to fly an aircraft, but that doesn't mean we know how to run a business.
Game, set, match.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 pm

I would say based on the shrinking regional network and the amount of cancelations this past weekend, even those in charge are out of ideas, and lack any vision or leadership.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:26 pm

Agreed my friend. Plus I believe AC owns some of the jazz fleet, at least a portion of the E1 fleet
Sell Jazz to AC. $1

AC plans an 80 fin Express fleet at Jazz. 40 Q’s. 40 jets (single type). CHR gets priority to provide leased Express aircraft to AC.

Close YYC base. YVR/YYZ/YUL just like mainline.

Eliminate as many administrative functions as possible at Jazz. Turn it in to SKY 2.0

What is left is a skeleton infrastructure at Jazz. Just the staff necessary to support the AOC.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:37 am

Sell Jazz to AC. $1

AC plans an 80 fin Express fleet at Jazz. 40 Q’s. 40 jets (single type). CHR gets priority to provide leased Express aircraft to AC.

Eliminate as many administrative functions as possible at Jazz. Turn it in to SKY 2.0

What is left is a skeleton infrastructure at Jazz. Just the staff necessary to support the AOC.
We all know your theory. But i haven't seen a single thing to indicate that is the plan, or that there even is a plan.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:02 am

Sell Jazz to AC. $1

We all know your theory. But i haven't seen a single thing to indicate that is the plan, or that there even is a plan.
AC has a plan. It may not be as described above, but they have a plan.

The PAL announcement is part of a plan.

Expanding A220 orders is part of a plan.

Replacing Express with mainline on US routes out of YVR is part of a plan.

Expanding the UA/UA Express codeshare on transborder flying is part of a plan.

Flying CRJ200’s to storage is part of a plan.

There is a plan. Just watch closely. These are just the first steps.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:31 am

Sell Jazz to AC. $1

This isn't a plan. It is a reaction to their failure to plan, and now they have to scramble to try and save themselves. Everything we are seeing is a reaction to their utter failure to anticipate the market, or understand their situation they are in. And the PAL is pure desperation that will likely create far bigger problems, in both staffing and legal challenges.

Wearing a life jacket and floating around the ocean after your boat sinks is not an indication of great visionary thinking. And that is what we are seeing here.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:40 am

This isn't a plan. It is a reaction to their failure to plan, and now they have to scramble to try and save themselves. Everything we are seeing is a reaction to their utter failure to anticipate the market, or understand their situation they are in. And the PAL is pure desperation that will likely create far bigger problems, in both staffing and legal challenges.

Wearing a life jacket and floating around the ocean after your boat sinks is not an indication of great visionary thinking. And that is what we are seeing here.
AC is planning to have 6000 line pilot positions by 2025 and is hiring at a pace to meet that plan.

What is Jazz doing?

One company has a plan. One is still just a deer in the headlights.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:46 am

AC is planning to have 6000 line pilot positions by 2025 and is hiring at a pace to meet that plan.

What is Jazz doing?

We both know Jazz won;t hire unless AC gives Jazz more money. The money needs to come from AC, and the longer they wait, the worse the situation becomes.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am

What is Jazz doing?

We both know Jazz won;t hire unless AC gives Jazz more money. The money needs to come from AC, and the longer they wait, the worse the situation becomes.
You don’t get it. They are not waiting. They are moving on.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:37 am
truedude wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am

What is Jazz doing?

You don’t get it. They are not waiting. They are moving on.
You don't get it. They are reacting while shooting themselves in the foot. And PAL is far from a done deal, and their competition grows each day.

Little Star
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Little Star »

There is a plan.

Who is going to fly the ES-30 in 2028? It’s not going to be Jazz.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”